Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Oct 2000, 18:17 (Ref:45633)   #26
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mr. Mallet's Kausen, though I have heard of an ealier version which is supposed to be hideous that I cannot find:

[img]ftp://24.1.234.196/photos/motorsports/f1/f1_197905_gianfranco_brancatelli_01.jpg[/img]
Old 30 Oct 2000, 09:05 (Ref:45828)   #27
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all!

I bet I could tell today's cars apart if they were all the same colour!

I think today's cars are good looking in their own way. I think that they are as individual as the cars of the 70's but you just have to look harder. I wager I could I identify a car from a small detail like it's front wing endplate.

I think the rules now are too tight. Harvey Pothelswaite had a good idea. He stipulated there should be “black box” on the car. These were to be areas on the car defined by their dimensions and location where a designer could do anything he likes! Now that sounds like a good idea!
Old 30 Oct 2000, 13:55 (Ref:45873)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Mr. Mallet's Kausen, though I have heard of an ealier version which is supposed to be hideous that I cannot find:

[img]ftp://24.1.234.196/photos/motorsports/f1/f1_197905_gianfranco_brancatelli_01.jpg[/img]
Thanks for that. If memory serves it never actually raced. The original car was designed at the end of 78 to take advantage of Chapman's advances in aerodynamics. It looked weird mainly because it had no front wings at a time when all cars (including the '79) had front wings. However, you can see the heaviness in its design from this picture.
Old 30 Oct 2000, 15:17 (Ref:45891)   #29
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bugatti T22 barrel - now that's wierd, Voisin Grand Prix car of 1923. Has anybody ever seen the BRM P203 - the alleged ground effect car built by BRM before their sale to Jordan(not Eddie Jordan).I ask because from descriptions the car sounds wierd, and also because I've always been a BRM buff.
Oh, and the Cosworth 4WD. What were they thinking?
Old 30 Oct 2000, 16:28 (Ref:45908)   #30
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

From the modern lot it would be the 1995 McLaren, which looked like a submarine gone wrong. The '95 Forti was also an ugly beast. Eurgh.
Old 30 Oct 2000, 20:08 (Ref:45952)   #31
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!

A submarine gone wrong...haven't heard that one before.
Old 1 Nov 2000, 23:16 (Ref:46245)   #32
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

weird? wasn't there a 6 wheeled car a long time ago? A ligier wasn't it?

sorry, my memory for details isn't that good...

the car i liked more was the JPS Lotus around 85 or 86 (in terms of looks, not aerodinamics, performance, speed or anything... it was a great looking car, and Senna drove it!

xxx
Old 1 Nov 2000, 23:42 (Ref:46254)   #33
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A LIGIER?

Ahem, perhaps the six-wheeler you are thinking about might concievably be the 1976-7 Tyrrell Project 34.

A race winner, too, I might add. Only stymied by the fact that regular tyre technology outpaced the development of the small sized front tyres Avon were making for it.

There have been six-wheeler March and Williams too, but they were just testbeds and never entered in F1 races.
Old 1 Nov 2000, 23:45 (Ref:46256)   #34
jarama
Racer

jarama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, Carla O,

for sure you're speaking of the six-wheeled Tyrrell P34, not a Ligier. The Tyrrell was the only 6-wheeler ever racing in F1.
Old 1 Nov 2000, 23:50 (Ref:46259)   #35
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

*Warning* Anorak alert!!

Did you know...

Avon have just started to reproduce 6-wheel Tyrell front-sized tyres again after twenty five years, just for Mini racers. Apparently, it's the only tyre for the job.

Ahem.

*End of Alert!*

Old 1 Nov 2000, 23:55 (Ref:46263)   #36
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And it also means that the Tyrrell has the boots to go racing in the Thoroughbred GP historics series. And it's as quick as ever it was.

Which makes me a very happy bunny.
Old 2 Nov 2000, 02:00 (Ref:46281)   #37
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Sparky states, I too prefer the cars from the days when aerodynamics were an intuitive art instead of a windtunnel, CAD generated science. It seems to have also changed the art of driving fast into a technical exercise.

Too bad.
Old 2 Nov 2000, 04:16 (Ref:46300)   #38
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jarama
The Tyrrell was the only 6-wheeler ever racing in F1.

Jarama, you win points for accuracy. Technically, both Williams and March developed 6-wheelers with 4 wheels at the rear, using front wheels to reduce frontal area.

[img]ftp://24.1.234.196/photos/motorsports/f1/f1_197700_car_march_02.jpg[/img]

Anyone care to post the Williams?
Old 2 Nov 2000, 06:56 (Ref:46310)   #39
Tris
Racer

Here is the Willaims 6 wheeler. Here is also a picture of the 6 wheeler that Ferrari developed. it was tested by Reutemann but it was never raced. I have the model myself but I have never seen a photo of the actual car!

Old 2 Nov 2000, 06:59 (Ref:46311)   #40
Tris
Racer

Here is the willaims... god know why it did not work last time!

Old 2 Nov 2000, 07:00 (Ref:46312)   #41
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
A LIGIER?

Ahem, perhaps the six-wheeler you are thinking about might concievably be the 1976-7 Tyrrell Project 34.
SORRY!
in 76 i was 3 years old... i probably read about it afterwards and i dunno, i was under the impression it was a french car! SORRY!!!!

Old 2 Nov 2000, 18:21 (Ref:46399)   #42
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Thanks, Tris. I was having a bear of a time finding a Williams pic that would post.
Yours is better than the ones I found.
Old 2 Nov 2000, 20:37 (Ref:46419)   #43
Tris
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Thanks, Tris. I was having a bear of a time finding a Williams pic that would post.
Yours is better than the ones I found.
No problemo!

I have actually seen the real car at the Willaims factory! I went a couple of years back! Here is an even better pic of it!

Old 5 Nov 2000, 18:46 (Ref:46862)   #44
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Six-wheeler? How about the aforementioned P34:

There ya go...

I know I'm gonna get a grilling for this, but I really hate this year's Ferrari with Michael Schumacher's new helmet design. It's nothing against MS (you all know I despise him anyway) but it really is horrid. As for the 1980 Ferrari, well, just look at that pic: whose name is on the side of it? Doesn't that just explain everything.....?
Old 5 Nov 2000, 20:20 (Ref:46876)   #45
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
You mean you don't just love TGF's new pink helmet??? Can't think why...
Old 6 Nov 2000, 03:39 (Ref:46924)   #46
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Dan'sun, I hear ya', I thought this year's Ferrari looked like a porpoise. And that red helmet....feh.
Old 6 Nov 2000, 19:47 (Ref:47031)   #47
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
My God! It's red???
Old 9 Nov 2000, 22:09 (Ref:47672)   #48
zetta
Racer

zetta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi. I'm new here (I usually post in the Cart forum). This is a very interesting topic. It surprises me that nobody has mentioned the six wheeled Tyrrel from the early seventies (teh one that had 2 small wheels on each side in the front). I think this was undoubtely the weirdest looking F1 car ever.
Old 12 Nov 2000, 04:46 (Ref:48018)   #49
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

This isn't F1, but what came to mind was the 50-whatever Cadillac or Lincoln that was at Le Mans, great big boat of a car, with a very goofy squared-off long back and front end...well not exactly square, tapering downwards a bit, but just long, long, long...you could just imagine it doing a Citroen 2CV imitation around corners(re:body roll)
Or how about the turbine-engined jobbies that nearly won the Indy 500 in 60-something. One was a wedge shape (red I think, STP major sponser) and the other was blue-wish I could put pictures for anyone who hasn't seen any...
Or those short little American dirt track thingees with the humongous rear wings that regularly go flying off into the night... There's my two cents worth
Old 18 Nov 2000, 04:33 (Ref:48837)   #50
crash
Rookie

crash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come to think of it, I think the late 1960's cars with the high wings are the weirdest looking. Very odd indeed.