Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 23 Apr 2017, 07:01 (Ref:3728562)   #2776
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
So they run both MG and Subaru "factory" cars? (I noticed the cabins are setup the same.) How bizarre!
Effectively yes. A couple of years back, 888 were struggling financially so Warren Scott stepped in to bail them out and they moved from their own facility where they'd been based since the 90's into a corner (and it literally is a corner) of the big shed that BMR operate from.

I understand that most of the original staff have moved on over the years, with Ian Harrison left as team principal as one of the few, if only, original 888 people. This year there's been talk that 888 is essentially run by the BKR team from last year.

So that's 6 cars all run out of the same pocket (plus sponsorship obviously) and the same garage. That's almost a fifth of the grid!
Old 23 Apr 2017, 07:26 (Ref:3728567)   #2777
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
So they run both MG and Subaru "factory" cars? (I noticed the cabins are setup the same.) How bizarre!
If you look at both teams websites, you will see that they are virtually identical (designed by the same company).

From the websites:

Company Details
Team BMR Racing Ltd
Stonebury Farm
Hare Street
Herts
SG9 0EH
01763 290341

Company Details
Triple Eight Race Engineering
Stonebury Farm
Hare Street
Herts
SG9 0EH
01763 290341

And from a recruitment website they are looking to recruit 1 and 2 mechanics:

'No 1 & 2 Race Mechanics
BMR/Triple Eight Racing are looking for enthusiastic and knowledgeable race mechanics to join our BTCC programmes for 2017.
The candidates will ideally have Touring Car (e.g. NGTC, TCR, WTCC), Rally or GT experience, or have previously worked in other racing series.
Applicants should be capable of working within a team environment and would be expected to be experienced in all aspects of race car preparation. Part & Full time roles available.*
Please apply with a covering letter and your CV.'
Old 23 Apr 2017, 10:47 (Ref:3728627)   #2778
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Just curious, does 888 have any connection with 888 Australia anymore?
Old 23 Apr 2017, 10:54 (Ref:3728630)   #2779
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Just curious, does 888 have any connection with 888 Australia anymore?
that ended quite a few years back.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 11:30 (Ref:3728639)   #2780
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Not forgetting last year where we can directly (or indirectly - make your own judgements) attribute 8 cars to Mr Scott: 4 x Subaru, 2 x MG and 2 x VW (the BKR cars driven by Taylor Swift and Howard where run in a building on his farm).

How involved Subaru are financially is an unknown too - quite a few people here and elsewhere suggested Vauxhall involvement at PMR was small, the MG involvement at 888 is definitely small, so who is to say Subaru is big budget? My gut says it is relatively modest.

Dynamics have always been a quality over quantity act; Neate was a rare error. WSR are again quality over quantity; clearly the financial standing and security of the business is high on Dicks priorities - even to the point that he reluctantly couldn't run CT to defend his championship wins - twice over!

I do hope for the sake of competition in the BTCC that BMR get on top of things sooner rather than later so we can enjoy Sutton and Plato adding to the excitement at the pointy end.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 17:13 (Ref:3728737)   #2781
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I do hope for the sake of competition in the BTCC that BMR get on top of things sooner rather than later so we can enjoy Sutton and Plato adding to the excitement at the pointy end.
The competition will definitely benefit from Subarus at the pointy end, along with Vauxhalls and MGs.
Given Sutton's performances at Donington, they seem the closest of the three manufacturers to getting a win at the moment.
Perhaps Thruxton will suit MG/Vauxhall more and we'll see Subaru further back?

At this point, whilst I do hope Subaru get on top of things, one of their drivers may already have achieved that. It's the Vauxhall and MG I want to see challenging Honda on the FWD-friendly circuits, and Subaru challenging BMW at the RWD hunting grounds. That way, we'll see how effective the BoP is.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 08:23 (Ref:3728832)   #2782
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Jeez, they tested on that shtty little motorcycle track about 50 miles from Barcelona? ROFLMAO no wonder cars got written off.

You can't criticise BMR for not going there.
You said you didn't know about the test, yet you knew there was a crash. Then say others don't know about motorsport. It's great fun around here when you stir the pot.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 06:18 (Ref:3729049)   #2783
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
You said you didn't know about the test, yet you knew there was a crash. Then say others don't know about motorsport. It's great fun around here when you stir the pot.
No problem, my pleasure to serve!

I knew a car got written off. I could see from the pics it wasn't Barcelona. I didn't realise it was that little track. Would say a bit of a false economy renting a really cheap track if the lack of run off costs the price if a car...
Old 25 Apr 2017, 11:28 (Ref:3729108)   #2784
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Would say a bit of a false economy renting a really cheap track if the lack of run off costs the price if a car...
The car was reported as repaired, so it didn't cost the price of a car.

Of the teams that tested there, they are currently:
top two in the manufacturers'
2,4,5,6,7 and 8 in the drivers'
1,2 and 5 in the teams'

You said that you can't blame BMR for not testing there, but I'm sure they'd happily trade places with the teams that did?