Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 3 Aug 2019, 20:09 (Ref:3921033)   #1
racersedge27
Rookie

racersedge27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old British Formula 3 races

Hi everyone -

This is a question for the old school racers present!

I'd love to watch some old school British F3 races, starting with that classic Piquet-Warwick 1978 year but also the Senna-Brundle 83 season.

Does anyone know if either of those seasons were ever televised and if so am I right that they would have been shown on BBC Grandstand? I've seen some limited 83 footage but there doesn't seem to be much out there (least not on YouTube!).

And how about the F2 European Championship and the Monaco F3 races. Were they televised in the late 70s and early 80s?

Finally, what about the FF Festival. Does anyone remember the earliest year that got televised?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts guys and if you know of a mega archive anywhere please, please let me know!
Old 6 Aug 2019, 17:32 (Ref:3921714)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I remember the 96 Festival being televised. I know there were plenty more before then even though I wasn’t born 1990
Old 6 Aug 2019, 19:01 (Ref:3921721)   #3
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton's Easter Monday International Formula Two meeting was televised from the mid seventies to the demise of the Formula Two championship in 1984 . From memory the Formula Two , Formula Three and Touring Car races were televised ( I didn't see them as I was always at the meeting ) .

Thruxton also held a non-championship Formula Three meeting in November which was shown on Grandstand in between horse races . Ayrton Senna made a winning F3 race debut in the 1982 race .

I think the Formula Three championship was shown on Grandstand ( highlights the week after ) from the mid eighties through to the early nineties when Touring Car racing started to take over .

Also in the mid eighties Grandstand showed a winter series Formula Ford 2000 championship . However where you might find these races I'm not sure , but there were some Special GT races from the Thruxton November meetings on YouTube .
Old 6 Aug 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3921725)   #4
racersedge27
Rookie

racersedge27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys. Thanks for your answers. If anyone wants has any F3 videos they can trade me with please get in touch!
Old 6 Aug 2019, 19:34 (Ref:3921726)   #5
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
This might not be much help but Hay-Fisher Productions used to film & package up highlights along with a season summary video in the mid/late eighties but I don't know how early that started.

Not saying that it is brilliant or anything but the video footage did exist and could be bought back in the day.
Old 7 Aug 2019, 08:26 (Ref:3921789)   #6
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
This might not be much help but Hay-Fisher Productions used to film & package up highlights along with a season summary video in the mid/late eighties but I don't know how early that started.

Not saying that it is brilliant or anything but the video footage did exist and could be bought back in the day.
Duke Video has plenty of F3 titles for sale.