Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Jul 2002, 01:31 (Ref:333046)   #1
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
boring prototype type stuff

I'm interested to compare the Reynard 2KQ series and the Lola B98/10

Why was the Reynard so bad? Is the RoC version's success at LeMans the first significant result for a car from this family?

Why do Lolas have such Wolseley-type names? What was the pointy-nosed one all about???
Old 13 Jul 2002, 04:39 (Ref:333110)   #2
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, Osella,

There were complains by drivers that the Reynard 2KQ was a very flexible monocoque, with seriuosly low torsional strength. Stefan Johansson called it a "s**tbox".

ROC was the only team to obtain (some sort of) result out of the car, and I was surprised to see that they managed to get anything out of it.

Until Eric Broadley (company founder and motorsport legend) was forced out of Lola in 1997, following their horrible F-1 debacle, all Lola cars - as you probably know - were always identified by a TXXX, where XXX a number identifying is the model of the chassis - as, for example, T212, or T70. I believe told that "T" stood for "type".

After Martin Birraine bought Lola out of receiveship the cars have been called B-something. I guess the "B" is in honor to Eric Broadley.

The Lola-MG EX257 does not follow this pattern as the car was commissioned by MG. Back in the 1950s the racing or speed record MG were prefixed EX, for "experimental".
Old 13 Jul 2002, 11:33 (Ref:333193)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzza

After Martin Birraine bought Lola out of receiveship the cars have been called B-something. I guess the "B" is in honor to Eric Broadley.

Could it be less selfless - 'B' for Birraine?
Old 13 Jul 2002, 13:12 (Ref:333234)   #4
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Could it be less selfless - 'B' for Birraine?
Yup, I think that's it.
The B98 could have been more successful had Lola stuck with it instead of going for the B2K. That's what I think anyway.
The initial front bodywork of the 2KQ was simply an aerodynamic experiment that went wrong - in a way, it reminded me of the March 707.
ROC simply stuck with the car, and won Le Mans twice - by default...

Last edited by cybersdorf; 13 Jul 2002 at 13:14.
Old 13 Jul 2002, 19:34 (Ref:333320)   #5
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer the B2k car to the 1998 car.
Old 13 Jul 2002, 22:25 (Ref:333415)   #6
Osella
Veteran

does anyone know how many of these various types of Reynard and Lola were made?
Old 13 Jul 2002, 22:36 (Ref:333423)   #7
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Why did the Reynard 2KQ flop?

I guess there isn't one answer to that question. There were many issues, Cyber's answer of chassis flex was one of them. Though later variants of the car (2KQ LM, ROC's -675 variant) fixed that issue. The car's initial aerodynamics were really wretched. The car was inefficient, generating low downforce for realtively high drag. Stroud was brought in to massage the car (2KQ LM) and while it improved the car, how good overall the car really was I can't say. In part, my personal opinion is that Reynard dedicated too few resources to the LMP project feeling confident that they could tackle the project with little effort and still generate a winner. Could they have been any further off the mark? Certainly the Reynard 02S was/is a proper race car. Perhaps more proof as to how bad the 2KQ really was? Reynard got serious about their sports cars far too late. Hopefully Nielson/RN can get that car on to the track.
Old 13 Jul 2002, 22:49 (Ref:333429)   #8
Osella
Veteran

can I just say 'thank-you' that I get Mulsanne Mike to answer my question- I've been aware of your site for a while and it's an honour!
Old 14 Jul 2002, 00:14 (Ref:333445)   #9
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wasnt the 02s the 675 they were building when reynard went bankrupt?
Old 14 Jul 2002, 00:55 (Ref:333450)   #10
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Reynard was building the O2S when the company went bankrupt, now another company (forgot which one) has the rights to the designs.
Old 14 Jul 2002, 02:22 (Ref:333465)   #11
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adrian Reynard admitted that taking the company to the sportscar arena was a mistake (read his interview to Autosport about the company's demise) - they had their hands full with several projects and embarked in another one without the proper resources (as Mulsanne Mike wrote).
Old 14 Jul 2002, 12:31 (Ref:333629)   #12
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't YR Magic buy the rights to the 02S? We may see Nielsen driving one yet! Derrick Walker bought Reynard America lock stock & barrel but he is only concerned with ChampCars.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 09:03 (Ref:334793)   #13
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRM bouht the rights and nielsen is meant to be racing it at road Atlanta in September. Pending Piper designs leagal action as they were meant to be building a car for them!!
Old 20 Jul 2002, 05:51 (Ref:337901)   #14
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Osella,

You're more than welcome.