Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Nov 2013, 12:13 (Ref:3333596)   #26
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
interesting to see that as global economies are supposedly turning a corner F1 finally suffers the chill of recession as sponsored drives evaporate.
One needs to be careful about whom one would include in that catagory, as, for example, the 7 time World Champion Michael Schumacher was a sponsored (pay driver) whilst he was at Ferrari. If I am not mistaken, his salary was paid by Philip Morris (Marlboro cancer sticks, etc.), although Schumacher shouldn't be compared/confused with some of the pay drivers that make up the current F1 grid or even those of his time. He was a tad better than them.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 12:59 (Ref:3333610)   #27
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
I get the impression that, like so many 'industry awards', it's just the great and the good awarding themselves cups and titles on a 'buggins turn' principle. I don't think it's of any great importance.
My thoughts exactly but I was afraid I'd be called an old curmudgeon so I didn't say it.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 13:22 (Ref:3333621)   #28
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
This isn't a lighthearted thread. It's a serious thread that happens to be conducted by lighthearted people.

The International Historic Wotsit Awards are clearly so important that few people had heard of them, and now that you've had your chippy tea at the station caff the organisers obviously agree because the 2013 winners are hidden away in the middle of a press release on their web site, in type so small that the target demographic is unlikely to be able to read it!

Shame, it could be good, but it's an odd time of year to have an award bash and doesn't seem to be tied into anything else in the historic world. Could have been something good as a central point of the Race Retro show, something for us exhibitors to do on the Friday night.
So are you saying that I might of won something now Max.
Must say our JT has mellowed these days, I would of had a phone call by now.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 13:36 (Ref:3333624)   #29
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
What about a prize for Iain for using bad grammar (might of/would of) !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Nov 2013, 13:49 (Ref:3333634)   #30
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
My thoughts exactly but I was afraid I'd be called an old curmudgeon so I didn't say it.
Don't apologise Max. We 'grumpy old men' must stand up and be counted.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 16:53 (Ref:3333710)   #31
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
So are you saying that I might of won something now Max.
No idea mate, it's so small I can't read it! Makes me cross, these marketing departments are paid good money and still manage to **** it up, I'd get it right for half what they're paid.......
Old 19 Nov 2013, 17:22 (Ref:3333727)   #32
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TOP AWARD FOR SILVERSTONE CLASSIC

• Star-studded panel nominates ‘Motorsport Event of the Year’
• A winner both on and off the track
Old 19 Nov 2013, 17:57 (Ref:3333753)   #33
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
It's my party and I'll .........!
It's chapati and I'll curry if I want to
You vindaloo if it happened to you....
Old 19 Nov 2013, 18:11 (Ref:3333767)   #34
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
No idea mate, it's so small I can't read it! Makes me cross, these marketing departments are paid good money and still manage to **** it up, I'd get it right for half what they're paid.......
Have to agree, Max. Out of curiosity I did a search for Octane magazine's website (as the IHMA thing seems to be their baby) to see if they had the award winners. Eventually found it under "classicandperformancecar.com' just to confuse things! Yes, the news section carries the press release.

With regard to Motorsport Event of the Year, last year it was Goodwood Revival, so no surprise that the Classic got the award this time. I'd have given it to the Zandvoort Historic Grand Prix, which from what I've been told was amazing. Maybe as Masters F1 got Race Series award it was deemed inappropriate...

Old 20 Nov 2013, 08:26 (Ref:3334116)   #35
midgetman
Veteran

JT seems to think this is a joke thread, but far from it. I think it's a right royal farce that a company sets itself up as the "International" whatever awards, stings you for 150 smackers PLUS Chancellor's Premium, dishes gongs out then neglects to make a song and dance about it either before or afterwards.

This degrades Historic motor racing, reduces our (your) efforts to the level of a company in-house bash hosted by Alan Partridge..."And the customer service award, south east region, Kent sub-division, for part-time staff, goes to Jean from Tunbridge Wells!" Quick photo of Jean looking embarrassed, then on to Surrey sub-division.

If it were really a special ceremony it would be broadcast high wide and handsome, soliciting entries from across the spectrum of historic motor sport. Say what you like about "Autosport", their annual awards have set the standard for motor racing awards. Full engagement with their readership and beyond.

I'll say no more in case I get libellous!

Last edited by midgetman; 20 Nov 2013 at 08:33.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 08:39 (Ref:3334125)   #36
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Max, it rapidly degenerated into a lighthearted thread and you have explained very well, from your point of view, why, in your last post! I suspect many might agree with you!
Old 20 Nov 2013, 09:37 (Ref:3334143)   #37
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember that a few years ago these awards did get a lot of publicity and there was a do at Race Retro. Perhaps this year they did not get a sponsor or one of the magazines to back them?
There are often these sort of awards and they ask for nominations. I've foolishly nomiated local, regional events and clubs but it is always the big players that get them, totally ignoring the many excellent events run by volunteers on a not for profit basis, often raising money for charity. I wonder how much Goodwood and the Silverstone Classic give to good causes compared with the many smaller events around the country?
Old 20 Nov 2013, 10:14 (Ref:3334150)   #38
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
at the end of the day who really cares? The big events and privately owned circuits like Castle Combe will get speccies regardless and competitors already know where they wish to race so it really is irrelevant who is voted best or worst....
Old 20 Nov 2013, 11:34 (Ref:3334199)   #39
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have the impression that many of these series are run by very rich men for very rich men, and if that is the case, then I see no problem with them awarding themselves any accolade they can think of.
Whether the proletariat places any value on the affair is entirely up to the individual, however, if someone who is not in the mega rich bracket enters the series, but fails to get a mention I can see why they may be upset, however, that is one of the perils of mixing with billionaires.
I have no personal problem with anyone spending their money anyway they like, probably because I have never been good at hanging on to my own.

PS; Nothing humorous is intended in this post.

bauble.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 11:53 (Ref:3334216)   #40
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess I'm somewhat ambivalent. Award ceremonies are fun for the participants so the HSCC dinner dance, or Masters or MRL whoever, are fun. Having some kind of historic "oscars" for the great and the good seems a bit irrelevant anyway.

I'm afraid I have this picture in my mind of an award for the historic racer of the year and upon receiving it Gordon S leaps into a tearful speech thanking "the world, his wife, Larkins, ...." I'll stop there before I have nightmares.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 13:07 (Ref:3334241)   #41
midgetman
Veteran

OK I get the message. Sodom Hall. I'll wind me neck back in and take a chill pill for another year.

Aaaand....RELAX!
Old 20 Nov 2013, 14:00 (Ref:3334263)   #42
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
OK I get the message. Sodom Hall. I'll wind me neck back in and take a chill pill for another year.

Aaaand....RELAX!
Truth be told MM I rather like the idea of you as a curmudgeon, we could do with a few Mr. Grouser's on the forum, liven thing up a bit. No more Mr Nice Guy!!

bauble.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 14:22 (Ref:3334276)   #43
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

I'm afraid I have this picture in my mind of an award for the historic racer of the year and upon receiving it Gordon S leaps into a tearful speech thanking "the world, his wife, Larkins, ...." I'll stop there before I have nightmares.
Your worse nightmare Peter !!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
AWARD.jpg  
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Nov 2013, 14:26 (Ref:3334280)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Worst!
Old 20 Nov 2013, 15:03 (Ref:3334309)   #45
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Worst!
No it was "worse" than your worst nightmare !
Old 20 Nov 2013, 15:18 (Ref:3334316)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Old 20 Nov 2013, 22:15 (Ref:3334511)   #47
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Why don't you all listen to me . I said ages ago Gordon won best dressed mechanic
Old 22 Nov 2013, 20:23 (Ref:3335351)   #48
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Is my award going to be presented to me in the UK or Spain ?
It's obviously going to be a big do with stars and celebs and I might even wear some clothes !!
Old 22 Nov 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3335362)   #49
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Is my award going to be presented to me in the UK or Spain ?
It's obviously going to be a big do with stars and celebs and I might even wear some clothes !!
Don' worry about the clothes, we can post it to you.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 08:53 (Ref:3335579)   #50
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To the African address?