Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 25 Nov 2001, 12:25 (Ref:178688)   #1
Spiddy-Spid
Rookie

Spiddy-Spid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nordic sign Baumgartner

F3000 champions have signed ex Prost guy Zolt Baumgartner for 2001 and say they're aiming for top ten finishes from the start, and are hoping for podiums by the end of the year.

Does this sound odd to anyone else? Why would the top team sign someone they think is only capable of that?
Old 26 Nov 2001, 10:13 (Ref:178930)   #2
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Nordic sign Baumgartner

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiddy-Spid
F3000 champions have signed ex Prost guy Zolt Baumgartner for 2001 and say they're aiming for top ten finishes from the start, and are hoping for podiums by the end of the year.

Does this sound odd to anyone else? Why would the top team sign someone they think is only capable of that?
Two possibilities:

1) They are playing down his chances so he can surprise everyone

2) They are planning to put all their resources behind their other driver
Old 26 Nov 2001, 15:18 (Ref:179014)   #3
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is another possibility. They have signed a multi year contract and this is the goal for the first year. Maybe they think that Zsolt will be good enough.
Old 26 Nov 2001, 16:37 (Ref:179041)   #4
The Fan
Rookie

The Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fourth possibility. Take the money as quick as you can. With the new car next year and big companies hesitating on spending money at the moment, better take a save option. The other driver at Nordic will defenitly be a good one with experience. But he will have to have a decent budget as well?
Old 26 Nov 2001, 19:13 (Ref:179095)   #5
Speraficos
Rookie

Speraficos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zsolt IS good !
Old 26 Nov 2001, 21:19 (Ref:179123)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"There is another possibility. They have signed a multi year contract and this is the goal for the first year. Maybe they think that Zsolt will be good enough. "

Almost certainly there is an element of this. Most of the recent champions were midfield runners in their first half-season in the class. The deal may already be for 2 years, ut I suspect this is an option. I expect the highly promising Jaroslaw Janis will be the lead driver next year though, Baumgartner's poisition being mainly to provide funding in place of Enge's Coca-Cola money, with Janis providing the talent in place of Wilson.
Old 26 Nov 2001, 21:36 (Ref:179134)   #7
formula-3000net
Racer

formula-3000net should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
I expect the highly promising Jaroslaw Janis will be the lead driver next year though, Baumgartner's poisition being mainly to provide funding in place of Enge's Coca-Cola money, with Janis providing the talent in place of Wilson.
What makes you think Janis doesn't have lots of sponsorship money behind him?
Old 26 Nov 2001, 22:58 (Ref:179174)   #8
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aside from some speed in the FPA winter series, what has Janis done in Fords Renaults and F3?
Old 27 Nov 2001, 11:55 (Ref:179318)   #9
Attila
Racer

Russfeld, Janis did not have time to get used to any of the cars you mentioned. I think he was impressive in the last F3000 race; however, I think he is way to young.
By the way, Nordic still has Coca-Cola as sponsors for next year.
One more thing, Zsolt is a very technical driver, who did not find the limits of the car in the fast corners yet. He was told by Dominique Delestre not to damage his car so he could not push as hard as he wanted to. I think the half season he did last year does not give us a good base for evaluation. He did very well on the tests with Nordic.
Old 27 Nov 2001, 19:22 (Ref:179473)   #10
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it were to be Janis, I think they would have tested him in the pre-season!
Old 27 Nov 2001, 19:40 (Ref:179483)   #11
FEUsmart
Racer

FEUsmart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I heard Janis is at Estoril with (I think it's) Coloni.

That says to me that he won't be at Nordic next year.

Could be wrong though. I quite often am!
Old 27 Nov 2001, 19:49 (Ref:179490)   #12
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FEUsmart: any premilmenary results from todays tests?
Old 27 Nov 2001, 19:59 (Ref:179492)   #13
FEUsmart
Racer

Not yet, but I'm working on it....
Old 27 Nov 2001, 20:15 (Ref:179502)   #14
FEUsmart
Racer

Dan - Justin was fastest in the 2002 car on a 1m 29.4 (NOT 1.5s off the pace like the last person to test the 2002 car!)
Followed by Tomas Enge driving for Arden (!) 29.5 Gimmi Bruni, also at Arden did a 29.6. Camathias and Baumgartner, both at Nordic put in identicall times of 1m 30.88

Bentwood was also there, testing for Super Nova, Bjorn Wirdheim was testing for Durango and Jaroslav Janis was at Coloni.
Old 27 Nov 2001, 21:12 (Ref:179524)   #15
The Fan
Rookie

The Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Camathias was always 1 to 2 seconds slower then Leinders so that does not look so promising for Baumgartner or is he supposed not to go fast here as well, not to damage the car.
But you never know I suppose we will have to give him the benefit of the douth. Prost Jr. wasn't the best team anyway. Time will tell.
Old 28 Nov 2001, 14:13 (Ref:179770)   #16
Attila
Racer

Well I did not say that he is the best driver, I only said that we need to give him time. By the way the very first time he tested an F3000 car last year he was on the pace on the slow corners, he just could not find the limit on the fast ones. If he does find the limit he could be all right. Don't ask how I know, I was there in person representing him :-)). Cheers
Old 30 Nov 2001, 11:56 (Ref:180502)   #17
Paddock CI
Rookie

Paddock CI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Behinds the Scenes at Nordic

The behind-the-scenes story at Nordic racing is that they have been suffering financially since the middle of last year. Most people may find this hard to believe, but it is a fact. The much touted Coca-Cola sponsorship was spent and they were running on owner equity for the last half of the season.

The signing of Zsolt Baumgartner is a clear reflection of this fact. Zsolt is well funded and he was able to assist Nordic with the funds to put their deposit on the new Lola cars, without which they would not have been able to make their entry (unless they were willing to dip into more owner equity, of course).

Zsolt is a competent driver but will almost certainly be a disappointment in a Nordic car. It will be a different sight to see the Nordic cars at the back of the grid next year. Chris Mower´s comments about looking for top ten finishes really says it all, doesn´t it?

As for their other driver, they are looking for a driver with both money and talent (really!). Unfortunately, it appears that the best they will do is another mediocre driver with a bit of money. I also believe that they will be running a very tight ship next year so that they can try to recover some of that owner equity that has gone missing. Watch for the tell-tale signs of this by keeping an eye on their internet web site and by looking closely at the team´s appearance next year.

My guess for their second driver next year is Joel Camathias, once again, much more money than talent.

Yours from behind the scenes,
Paddock CI
Old 30 Nov 2001, 18:15 (Ref:180625)   #18
Paddock Spy
Rookie

Paddock Spy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that Paddock Cl(One). So you have the behind-the-scenes word on that do you? Close but no cigar!! Still, your post gave me the biggest laugh that I have had all year - wonderful stuff!! Keep up the bad work..
Old 2 Dec 2001, 02:35 (Ref:181115)   #19
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, we'll se "MOL" sponsorship on Nordic cars for next year, but, eh...
Anyone knows the father of Zsolt is the owner of an important Renault concesionnaire in Hungary?
Old 2 Dec 2001, 16:54 (Ref:181303)   #20
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hi Mekola,

Yes I knew it, you just have to go to Zsolt website:
http://www.zsolt.baumgartner.hu/

And remove the zsolt prefixe in the URL to see it:
http://www.baumgartner.hu/