Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: When should NZ have a V8 Supercar round?
April 3 13.64%
November 11 50.00%
Other 1 4.55%
Not at all 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Sep 2003, 22:56 (Ref:736004)   #1
pacmstom
Rookie

pacmstom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Supercars in NZ for April or November?

The jury is still out deciding on the fate of the Pukekohe round of the V8 Supercars for 2004. Should it be April or November?

April has some excellent benefits for Inbound Tourism - offering a bonanza of motorsport with both the Supercars and the NZ Rally together.

The cons are the load on volunteers and the sponsorship arrangements. Volunteers could be taken care of if the NZ government got in behind the event and helped pay many of the volunteers while the sponsorship arrangements need closer looking at. Maybe a varied payment schedule could be arranged with sponsors??

Another issue is that the NZ V8 Touring Cars loses its "launching pad" for the Summer season with great promotion gained in November at the Supercars round at Pukekohe.

It's a tough one alright.

ps. I appreciate many Ozzies out there would be more than happy to see the event come back to Oz anyway so no digs in that direction please
Old 30 Sep 2003, 23:00 (Ref:736012)   #2
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a sponsor in the NZ Touring cars, I would find it difficult as I am taking clients to Pukekohe, It would be very expensive if I had to do so in April, although I do like the idea of a "Speed Fest" of sorts in April
Old 30 Sep 2003, 23:05 (Ref:736019)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Auckland Harbourside.... in summer/spring... 'nuff said!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 30 Sep 2003, 23:11 (Ref:736024)   #4
pacmstom
Rookie

Don't forget that the cooler weather ensures people need jackets to wear ... thereby more expensive merchandise sales ... keeps the teams happy!

Bah humbug - Auckland's weather is unpredictable on the best of days in summer - gotta agree there. Bit like Melbourne in many respects.

Last edited by pacmstom; 30 Sep 2003 at 23:16.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 00:57 (Ref:736090)   #5
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
The issue with why an NZ race round should remain is the number of NZ sponsors (And I don't just mean TKR) There are a lot of teams with NZ companies sponsoring them at various levels.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 02:09 (Ref:736128)   #6
pacmstom
Rookie

Good point Evomike. There is a fairly strong infiltration on NZers now including drivers, teams, suppliers and as you say sponsors. Just as Ford needs Holden (and vice-versa), OZ needs NZ (and vice-versa) to generate competitive (but positive) friction.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 02:39 (Ref:736135)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Be easier when NZ becomes another state of Australia

Old 1 Oct 2003, 02:42 (Ref:736137)   #8
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand

Thats original.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 02:45 (Ref:736141)   #9
Lyris
Racer

Lyris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's another point to this story, and that's consumer spending $$

Just how far can the consumer $$ stretch, even for our beloved motorsport, and if it comes down a decision between one motorsport event and another, which will the punters choose.

Motorsport fests are great, but the expense involved in having events so close together can make it almost impossible for some people to budget for attending all events. And if it becomes a choice the one event or another will suffer.

I know for me when the QLD500 and Indy were only 'bout a month apart, it became a choice of which event am I attending this year.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 02:48 (Ref:736143)   #10
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Yes I agree Lyris, although it's no longer a problem for me, I have been there and I hate having to make that decision. Plus the wife does not like too much in the same 6 months let alone the same month
Old 1 Oct 2003, 02:54 (Ref:736148)   #11
pacmstom
Rookie

Funny you should mention that GTRMagic - I have just been devising a plan for taking over OZ and so I have sent Mr Howard a voucher for a crate of grog already. We should have the deed to the country shortly

But what to do with it ...

But seriously now, Lyris ... fair point. Not a problem for me as a single bloke in control of my destiny but I do know it would be a major problem for others I know. ie. those with wives

The event promoters would need to get together and offer concession prices for those who buy tickets for both events although I expect this would not be considered too favourably by the promoters.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 02:57 (Ref:736150)   #12
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
What about a "married man concession"?
Old 1 Oct 2003, 02:59 (Ref:736152)   #13
pacmstom
Rookie

Nice idea - given that married blokes are already used to making plenty of concessions for thier wives ... or is that confessions?
Old 1 Oct 2003, 02:59 (Ref:736153)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Depends how badly henpecked the males are

(Note: single male in charge of own destiny also )
Old 1 Oct 2003, 03:02 (Ref:736158)   #15
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
I think I will give mine the credit card the weekend of Pukekohe and she might not notice that I am gone from Friday through to Sunday

Last edited by Evomike; 1 Oct 2003 at 03:04.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 07:23 (Ref:736290)   #16
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Lets just have 2 races in NZ,one in April and one in Nov,who the hell wants to go to China anyways?
Old 1 Oct 2003, 07:43 (Ref:736301)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Why not make it a 20 round series, run over 40 weeks.... include the AGP as a real round, 2 rounds in NZ, to all the usual places once only, Bahrain, Malaysia, UK etc etc....