Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Closed Thread

Old 12 Aug 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1380731)   #1
No 4
Veteran

No 4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2006 Challenge Initiative Series

This concept has been around for a couple of years or so.

That said, the idea of a national single seater series where cars actually overtake each other sounds great.

What do people think of the car (pix in this weeks Autosport, page 92)? Plus, given the large number of single seater championships that are already running, and bearing in mind how the ZIP series went under, do they think the series will get off the ground?
Old 12 Aug 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1380732)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
See this:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72361

Although this may be a better forum for it.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 15:09 (Ref:1380750)   #3
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The money idea doesnt work. Fans will flock to a successful series. No series will exist if it survives on the gate receipts.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 15:34 (Ref:1380765)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The car looks good, but....

It's one of those things you'd like to work, but you know it'll never see the light of day
Old 12 Aug 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1380776)   #5
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many times did that series change cars before actually running a season?

Nose, tub and rear wing look like ChampCar (even without front wing), but then again it's made by a former Reynard Champ Car project team :P

Don't like the sidepods on this car though.

Wonder how it will do on the ovals without the nosewing and not sure about the 'normal' circuits.

But first...let it happen!
Old 12 Aug 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1380829)   #6
No 4
Veteran

The launch presentation is next Thursday, so that should prove interesting.

The concept of gate receipts offsetting running costs is novel, but as we all know the crowds at most UK motorsport events are not huge, so it's difficult to see how the numbers add up. More so if the series doesn't get to run on one of the major packages.

All this said, we must commend Peter Wardle's initative, in at that at least he's trying to do something different + recognising the need to entertain race fans with a national series in which drivers actually over take each other. One has only to look at FF1600 to see how exciting races can be when the spec' of the cars allows this to happen.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1380879)   #7
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amusing to see a car on bias-ply tires again too.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1380981)   #8
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This ch'ship sounds like a brilliant idea IMO. The car has no downforce which is great, and with 375bhp and the cars capable of reaching 200mph, I reckon it will become an even more 'hyper' version of Formula Ford! With speeds like that and a nice looking car, when it comes to 2006 it should become one of the best single-seater ch'ships in the world.

I had heard about this series ages ago, and I am sure that it was supposed to launch in 2004- or is that just a false memory?? The series had a website, I'm not sure if it still does, but people like Ben Collins and Alx Danielson had tested the car a year ago or so, so it seems to have taken a long time to get going.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1381004)   #9
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does the car look like?

I can't find any photos
Old 12 Aug 2005, 23:17 (Ref:1381005)   #10
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buy this week's Autosport, its on page 92. Looks a bit like an IndyCar with no front-wing.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 09:18 (Ref:1381228)   #11
Peter Wardle
Rookie

Peter Wardle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys,
The Challenge is its own 'package' and will generate its own audience, so it cant be compared with anything currently around in UK motor racing. As you will see when we launch we have developed ways of promoting it and bringing in sponsorship which are quite different to anything being used by the traditional categories and which are based on how the entertainment industries and major sporting spectacles work, not motor racing where the cost of promoting usually exceeds the gate income which is why the tracks no longer do too much!
When people really understand how we're doing this then they will know why the Challenge will be around for many years to come without the risk of it being shut down just through the whim of a big motor manufacturer.
The launch is open to any MSA Licence holder who can also bring colleagues along, but is not open to the public.
Regards, Peter
Old 13 Aug 2005, 10:27 (Ref:1381250)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But what has changed now?

The standard story seems to be - lots of publicity "we'll be racing next year" followed by "it's been delayed" a few months later. And then it disappears without trace.

Why should we be confident it will be on the grid in 2006?

I wish it all the luck in the world, but you will understand people are naturally sceptical about anything new.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1381437)   #13
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree. Peter, I would like to see this series being a success, but as KB said, what is different this time around? I got the impression before that there was far from enough interest to run a series in 2004. Anyway, I look forward to hearing the full details soon.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1381469)   #14
Peter Wardle
Rookie

Peter Wardle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has been a very long term programme which Ive been working on with our team now for four years. It took 2 years to put the right supply chain together with a number of false starts like Reynard going bust, so that the car could be designed and 95+% built in the UK (virtually all other categories are imported) and a further year, once we knew exactly how much we needed to raise, to get the money in place.
In the mean time the traditional sport has become increasingly financially precarious, fewer spectators now come and even F1 has realised that downforce is a disaster as far as the spectacle of racing is concerned (see Mosley's 2008 proposals) and Rory Burns suggestion in Autosport of a zero downforce F1 car with big wide slick tyres which, what a surprise, had no front wing, as the only way of bringing actual racing back has certainly done us no harm.
It is therefore not "different this time around" but a logical progression through the last four years so that we are properly ready to go with it.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1385696)   #15
No 4
Veteran

Just back from the launch.

The car looks good. However, it would have looked even better if the side pods were shorter (the long ones make the side on view look a little matronly!!) and a more conventional raised air intake/engine cover had been used - the longer pods and flat area behind the driver being introduced to create larger decal areas.

With regard to the Challenge series, I'll list some thoughts tomorrow.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1385702)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Is there a website up?
Old 18 Aug 2005, 17:55 (Ref:1385723)   #17
No 4
Veteran

I don't think so, it certainly wasn't mentioned. However, there were photographers there (as was Mike Spencer, the ZIP Formula winner and Formula Renault driver), so I would guess the pixs will be in next weeks Autosport.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1385856)   #18
ukracing
Racer

ukracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
www.thechallengeuk.com offical website and i understand all pictures from them launch will be up 2morrow.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 07:23 (Ref:1386040)   #19
No 4
Veteran

Have looked at the website page and as a point of detail, Peter Wardle is listed as 'cheif execuative'. Think he means 'chief executive'!!
Old 19 Aug 2005, 07:24 (Ref:1386041)   #20
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car looks good and the racing itself sounds like it could be exciting but if they plan to race on the Rockingham Oval that must surely be as a support to the SCSA and PuT Championships?

Assuming so, how on earth do they think they are going to get the gate money?

At most clubbies, the gate money must be very low and the only big crowds are going to be if they support something else, so again I can't see how they are going to be able to claim the gate money?

Also interesting to note that they plan no qualifying. I know of another series that wanted to run very short qualifying and an extra short race instead. The MSA said no way, you have to adhere to the blue book with regard to the minimum length of qualifying sessions for different length circuits.

The website is now live. Shame in all the years of planning they haven't been able to spellcheck it:

initative
orgainsers
secific
rad
cheif execuative
vertiually
Donnington

Impressive - NOT!
Old 19 Aug 2005, 07:28 (Ref:1386045)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

The article on the website looks word for word what was in Autosport last week - I hope Peter's got permission to reproduce it!

(I assume Autosport penned it, rather than it being a word-for-word press release published as news in the magazine).
Old 19 Aug 2005, 08:53 (Ref:1386111)   #22
ukracing
Racer

I just looked at the website sure it have more on it than that? but what spelling errors i cant see the ones u listed? must have good eye sight?
Old 19 Aug 2005, 08:57 (Ref:1386115)   #23
No 4
Veteran

John, yes, they do plan to run on the SCSA under card.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 08:58 (Ref:1386117)   #24
ukracing
Racer

well from what i heard yesterday seems to be a good plan and if everyone works at it could be a success?
Old 19 Aug 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1386120)   #25
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They've clearly read this thread and made the alterations...

If I invoiced them for my services and they paid it, I'd tell them of the 3 other errors I didn't bother to flag up!

My points above are not meant to be overly critical. The idea sounds good in proncipal and could certainly provide exciting racing but I'm struggling to see the finance work.

Mind you, to be fair, I didn't bother going to the launch...
Closed Thread