Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Belle Isle

Announcement tomorrow.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1722378)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's a shame...

I thought Belle Isle sucked as a race circuit....little passing, pit strategy dictated race finishes....

But whatever makes them happy...

What about Michigan???

They can't really hold a race at MIS in late july, then do a street race Labor Day weekend in the same market just 5-6 weeks apart...

That seems stupid to me.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 28 Sep 2006, 21:32 (Ref:1722439)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lol I see Autoracing1 have already read this thread and posted the news in their news section.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 21:38 (Ref:1722445)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I like Belle isle

Ok the track wast great but it was/is a beautifull place I think its an amazing place to have a race
Old 28 Sep 2006, 22:56 (Ref:1722481)   #5
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had been to the course many times as a kid and it is a great race in person, not so great on TV. Hopefully they can make improvements. The other thing that always annoyed me was having to ride a bus to and from the race made it a pain in the arse to watch the end of the race, you pretty much had to watch the last lap from the corner closest to the bus pickup if you hoped to get back to your car in less than an hour.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 07:54 (Ref:1722709)   #6
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The IRL has some issues with the MIS date, thy would like to move the date to aug. 5th, but the MIS officials are not too happy about that. (cab race on 19th)
Old 29 Sep 2006, 16:52 (Ref:1723197)   #7
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Belle Isle has been confirmed
indycar.com
Old 29 Sep 2006, 17:00 (Ref:1723205)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The layout?

Is it a new layout or the old previous CART layout?
Old 29 Sep 2006, 18:01 (Ref:1723250)   #9
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
it is the same as the previous layout according to the map on indycar.com
Old 29 Sep 2006, 23:45 (Ref:1723404)   #10
tunnel45
Rookie

tunnel45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
old cart course

i hope this is wrong. this is the old cart course, (THE COURSE LAYOUT AT INDYCAR.COM) the one Infamously called "mickey mouse" by Michael andretti. turns 3 to 6 are on an existing narrow twisty road. the cars NEVER were able to us 100 power on this course. the one that was better and they used for a few years before cart left was they made the road after turn 2 go twice as long, so you would not take a right at 3 on the map, but go straight, turn three was then a road they made (and is under sod right now' but still there) it was a right hander, and best/only legit passing area. they would make a right at turn 4. The turn 4 that is on the map was a left handed turn 5. the rest was the same. click the "click to fly thru" and i think they will use the old crappy course. because this was the same vidio the irl used to sell it city council (i live in Detroit and watched it a month ago when this was really heating up) if you do the fly through at the site, you can still see the rumble strips and white lines marking the course at turn six as a left hander. this course, the one there using, will be a parade, imo. it was a parade for cart, the skip barber series and trans am, when those support series ran it for a few years. geez, irl is sure starting to look like cha... oh forget it
Old 29 Sep 2006, 23:59 (Ref:1723409)   #11
tunnel45
Rookie

http://www.speedcenter.com/news97/sc_n0305_97.html

found it, this is the one I hope they use.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 03:26 (Ref:1723448)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel45
i geez, irl is sure starting to look like cha... oh forget it
Well best of luck. It appears if the city signs off on the 1.5 million that it will be a non profit event with all or any profits going back to the city.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 05:11 (Ref:1723462)   #13
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
Both parties have said that any profits from the race will be earmarked for Belle Isle, both for improving the racing circuit and improving the park as a whole.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1723641)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
Both parties have said that any profits from the race will be earmarked for Belle Isle, both for improving the racing circuit and improving the park as a whole.
in other words a non-profit.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1723815)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Well AR1 had a headline with 'IRL uses micky mouse layout for Belle Isle.' Hmmm...
Old 2 Oct 2006, 09:46 (Ref:1725101)   #16
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be, but Penske's doing it, he does things right, he ran the old course at Belle Isle and he'll make some changes. And if it's a non-profit, Roger's serving in the same role he did as chairman of Detroit's Super Bowl Committee....with his bucks behind it or OPM as he finds it (or already has) in Detroit.
Old 3 Oct 2006, 18:30 (Ref:1726801)   #17
Team Owner
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Lol I see Autoracing1 have already read this thread and posted the news in their news section.

Seems they like to read my posts

This isn't the first time I have posted something and it showed up on AR1
Old 3 Oct 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1726866)   #18
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is ridiculous, the city of detroit should be worrying about other things. I dont know why the city keeps thinking putting on these events will revive the city. Sure it brings attention to the city but it quickly fades away, the big three dont even compete in the IRL anymore so who are they trying to entice or satisfy here.
Old 3 Oct 2006, 20:56 (Ref:1726948)   #19
Team Owner
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch
This is ridiculous, the city of detroit should be worrying about other things. I dont know why the city keeps thinking putting on these events will revive the city. Sure it brings attention to the city but it quickly fades away, the big three dont even compete in the IRL anymore so who are they trying to entice or satisfy here.

Roger Penske lives in Detroit. That may have something to do with it.
Old 3 Oct 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1727016)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Sounds like RP is basically driving it(paying for it), so it's his pet project. Good luck.
Old 3 Oct 2006, 22:57 (Ref:1727025)   #21
tunnel45
Rookie

who cares who is paying for it. It has proven to be a sub par course that cart left. So irl shows up because RP gets a bug to race in his back yard. It just shows that even though the irl'
Old 3 Oct 2006, 23:03 (Ref:1727027)   #22
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel45
who cares who is paying for it. It has proven to be a sub par course that cart left. So irl shows up because RP gets a bug to race in his back yard. It just shows that even though the irl'
Thank you for finishing your sentence, especially now that you didn't, we don't have to argue with you.

I enjoyed Belle Isle while it was there. Yes the race is decided more often that not on fuel milage, and yes, there is no where to overtake, but it is a challenging course and is providing more and more variety in the League to test drivers, like the late 80s CART callender.
Old 3 Oct 2006, 23:07 (Ref:1727029)   #23
tunnel45
Rookie

I could care less who is paying for it. It has proven to be a rinky dink course. especially if they run it the way it looks like they will. IMO. I just don't get it. So irl shows up to grab a sub par course??? score!! because RP gets a bug to race in his back yard. It just shows that even though the irl's goal was one chief, many indians. It looks more like cart every day, team owners with influence to make, change policy. oh well, maybe there equipment will put on a better show. it is 15 minutes from me and friday is usually free. beats going to the ofice
Old 3 Oct 2006, 23:13 (Ref:1727034)   #24
tunnel45
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Thank you for finishing your sentence, especially now that you didn't, we don't have to argue with you.

I enjoyed Belle Isle while it was there. Yes the race is decided more often that not on fuel milage, and yes, there is no where to overtake, but it is a challenging course and is providing more and more variety in the League to test drivers, like the late 80s CART callender.
decide by fuel mileage, and no place to overtake. Yep, that will bring new fans to the sport. seriously, Tony has some serious resouces owning IMS. I would just like to see him develope some exciting circuits, not go to others scraps. but again, I will be there on friday. see you there!
Old 4 Oct 2006, 03:37 (Ref:1727135)   #25
D70s
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver
D70s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's "couldn't care less". If you "could care less" then you don't care as little as you could.

As for no passing on the Belle Isle course, I remember some great scraps there in the first few events. Tracy and Andretti, Sullivan and Unser. Not the greatest circuit in the world but definitley not the worst.