Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Jul 2014, 19:27 (Ref:3433903)   #26
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Going ahead with quiz and raffle "I think". Just a thought I have a few tables but if you can bring a chair please as well. Don't worry if not we can find the odd wheel to sit on. BTW how many vegies coming. Thanks
Old 15 Jul 2014, 06:19 (Ref:3434021)   #27
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Going ahead with quiz and raffle "I think". Just a thought I have a few tables but if you can bring a chair please as well. Don't worry if not we can find the odd wheel to sit on. BTW how many vegies coming. Thanks
Delta et al,
Both Quiz and raffle will go ahead (we now have two more caps to add to the grand total), the quiz will not be a sit down affair as a Pub Quiz, but will consist of a Sheet of questions along with an answer sheet. This means that the drinking, and drinking and eating need not be interrupted as people can work on the quiz at their leisure. Also as the raffle last year dragged on a bit, I thought a raffle with a few 'star prizes' and a lucky dip that can run all evening (or until the prizes run out).

You will see that everything is organised to maximise drinking time, and cut down on fripperies.

As the generosity of the Formula 1 teams does not (so far) extend beyond a hat, and the rest of the donations are junk supplied by myself, it would be nice to have a couple of decent items as first/second prize. So if you know anyone who might donate something worthwhile ............ drop me a PM.
and I will get in touch if necessary.

Cheers all,

The Man Who Got Lumbered. aka bauble.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 09:36 (Ref:3434055)   #28
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Bob.
Old 16 Jul 2014, 20:00 (Ref:3434627)   #29
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Iain, will be making a cash donation to help pay for the food and drink that you supply. And attending of course!

Old 16 Jul 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3434637)   #30
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Iain, will be making a cash donation to help pay for the food and drink that you supply. And attending of course!

Same here
Old 22 Jul 2014, 06:55 (Ref:3436534)   #31
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right. Beer's definitely on offer. Just need t know roughly how many booze artists there are....or should I just assume "lots".

Iain will contact you later to arrange drop off. I have a plethora of disposable pints glasses too to save the Delta minnion of the day from any washing up!
Old 22 Jul 2014, 08:56 (Ref:3436573)   #32
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
Right. Beer's definitely on offer. Just need t know roughly how many booze artists there are....or should I just assume "lots".

Iain will contact you later to arrange drop off. I have a plethora of disposable pints glasses too to save the Delta minnion of the day from any washing up!
Brilliant thanks Nick, we have to leave tomorrow dinner time.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 09:14 (Ref:3436579)   #33
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
No prob. will get it to you either today or tomorrow before lunch - is someone there to receive it?
Old 23 Jul 2014, 10:26 (Ref:3436983)   #34
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Beer all loaded up in Truck. Thanks Nick.
Old 26 Jul 2014, 04:54 (Ref:3438057)   #35
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Brilliant night . I had fantastic support from drivers . Racing clubs and H P Tyres . Beer went down very well . Thanks nick . Mike slaved away all evening cooking and Bob's raffle and quiz were just excelent . Think my team were third in the quiz .Roll on 2015
Old 26 Jul 2014, 06:10 (Ref:3438068)   #36
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fabulous evening, lot's of jolly folk, burgers, beer, prizes, and drivers helping out with the comestibles.
Leigh Beck walked away with first prize a Yuasa Honda Team jacket donated by the team.

So many items that we had to just have a free-for-all to get rid of them at the end.

I only heard one person complain all evening .... some chap in a white T-Shirt and black shorts, most upset because the quiz was too hard

I think he may have had something to do with the organising of the affair.

Thanks Iain for all of your efforts and to the marshals for ... well just being marshals, and nice to meet so many without being shouted at for straying in to forbidden places trackside.

As Delta said; Roll on 2015.

Cheers,

Bob aka Bauble.
Old 26 Jul 2014, 07:33 (Ref:3438094)   #37
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
We'll done Delta. Sounds as though the evening was a great gig. Perhaps the organisers of the Classc will want your help for next year Iain?

Amazingly I understand there is some ale left so you need to try harder next time.... Or maybe it was the concentration on winning first prize at the quiz

Have a great weekend everyone and happy racing
Old 28 Jul 2014, 09:36 (Ref:3439226)   #38
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks once again to Iain and all the other drivers who contributed, well done to Mike Bell for helping with the cooking. The BBQ was really appreciated by all the marshals who attended.

Thanks to Bauble for the raffle and the quiz.

Nick JM a special thanks for the beer went down well after along hot day, I even popped back to see Iain on Saturday to help finish off the beer.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 10:30 (Ref:3439246)   #39
bauble
Veteran

England
The raffle went very well, and a number of marshals went home with a decent prize, I would like to acknowledge, amongst others,

Honda Yuasa Racing.
Red Bull F1
United Autosports BTCC Team
Wix Racing BTCC Team
Fabrizio Giovanardi
Castrol.
Ferrari F1 Team
Aston Martin Owners Club
Artist,Christopher Dugan.

For their generous contributions to the prize list, while also providing items were;

Pirelli, 4 Caps
Caterham F1, 2 caps signed by Marcus Ericsson
Marussia F1, 2 caps.
Lotus F1, 1 cap signed by team drivers.
Force India offered a cap but did not have one to hand at the time.
Mercedes were unable to assist.
Sauber were busy.

McLaren provided a team cap signed by their drivers, however, as this did not make into the Prize Draw, and was donated solely for that purpose, it will be returned to the team.

There were a number of other prizes donated by individuals, and Delta also provided caps and umbrellas via his own contacts, and I trust he will advise of who we have to thank.

The quiz while popular descended in to farce/chaos, and will need to be looked at for next year. Someone claimed a score of 46, and was awarded a fine set of books and pens donated by Castrol through the good offices of Peter Olley.

Iain Rowley's team scored 45 (after a re-count) mainly by knowing "Who masquerades as Delta on ten tenths?"

Looking at some of the answer sheets one is impressed by the depth of knowledge possessed by some, and the appalling spelling of........!

Talking to marshals around the circuit over the weekend it seems a bit more advertising is necessary to reach the furthest outposts, as many were unaware of the event. It appears that not everyone is a regular on this forum.

Many thanks again to all who donated, money, prizes, assistance with culinary arrangements, however as a confirmed Teetotaller I am not too sure about NickJM (). How about a barrel of lemonade next year Nick?

Kind regards,

bauble.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 12:25 (Ref:3439285)   #40
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Thanks to many drivers , teams and suppliers. After all expenditure we have around £100.00 left. Does anyone mind if this goes to the Stoke Row Motor Sport Day Charities.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 14:01 (Ref:3439321)   #41
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to add my very grateful thanks to Iain, Mike, Bob and all the drivers, partners and friends who contributed to a brilliant and memorable night. Good food, liquid sustenance, entertainment, good company and plentiful chat and banter. It doesn't come any better. Thank you to all.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 16:27 (Ref:3439372)   #42
Dave Weston
Racer

Dave Weston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
I would like to add my very grateful thanks to Iain, Mike, Bob and all the drivers, partners and friends who contributed to a brilliant and memorable night. Good food, liquid sustenance, entertainment, good company and plentiful chat and banter. It doesn't come any better. Thank you to all.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3439414)   #43
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I had to chuck clothes into the laundry bag after spending whole evening enveloped in smoke!

It was a great evening and a privilege to be involved in. The BBQ-ing required a team of 4, so credit to the other 3 team members for their efforts! I'm just relieved all the orange army reached their respective posts the next day and there wasn't a mass outbreak of tummy trouble!

Old 28 Jul 2014, 19:51 (Ref:3439433)   #44
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

Talking to marshals around the circuit over the weekend it seems a bit more advertising is necessary to reach the furthest outposts, as many were unaware of the event. It appears that not everyone is a regular on this forum.
Bob, are you suggesting that there may be some marshals out there who do not frequent TenTenths.com? Or who have no "mates" that have attended Iain's shindig in the several previous years it has taken place?

Tush tush. Clearly some "re-edumacation" is required.

That said, if everyone turned up the finances might need revisiting along with risk factors (see Mike's comments about culinary expertise) for being able to service the rest of the weekend!
Old 28 Jul 2014, 20:21 (Ref:3439439)   #45
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Can you imagine the repercussions if the meeting had to be abandoned due to all the marshals being sidelined by salmonella!

Old 28 Jul 2014, 20:38 (Ref:3439445)   #46
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Can you imagine the repercussions if the meeting had to be abandoned due to all the marshals being sidelined by salmonella!

Exactly.

Clearly some sort of attendance rota would be required.

Or perhaps the drawing of lots at sign-on?

Old 28 Jul 2014, 20:45 (Ref:3439447)   #47
mferr
Rookie

mferr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much appreciated after a long day in splendid isolation on the Hangar Straight. Gestures like this are really appreciated by the orange army - shame that no mention was made at sign on. Thanks to all involved.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 20:57 (Ref:3440217)   #48
JonT
Rookie

United Kingdom
Copthorne West Sussex
JonT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=bauble;3439246]

The quiz while popular descended in to farce/chaos, and will need to be looked at for next year. Someone claimed a score of 46, and was awarded a fine set of books and pens donated by Castrol through the good offices of Peter Olley.

As the person who really did score 46 points many thanks for the prizes and am now reading up on the 100 years of history of Castrol achievements on land sea and air and making notes with a Castrol pen.

And thanks to all for organising the whole event. It was much appreciated.

Jon Tillott
Old 30 Jul 2014, 21:36 (Ref:3440228)   #49
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
you very nearly had me going there .Jon
Old 31 Jul 2014, 19:20 (Ref:3440526)   #50
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBQ

To Iain, Bauble and the rest of the team, I wanted to say thank you all for your generous hospitality, the food, drink and the entertainment on Friday night. Apologies for not posting sooner though.
The quiz was great, it brought out the uber nerd in me, needless to say, I was egged on by my Oulton colleagues (Faz, Titch, Ian, Paul et al). After checking my score, it was 45. Not bad.
Very pleased with my prize, and glad the money raised will go to a good cause. Shame that Bauble gave away my join the dots book though! My bad.
Its nice to have a gesture like this, makes everything worthwhile. Thanks as well to the drivers who gave up their time to socialize with us, very nice to meet you all.
Cheers and see you at the Gold Cup.