Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 May 2019, 04:46 (Ref:3902547)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jenson Button Secret Bathurst Laps

...in a Honda Civic Type R roadcar

Story Here

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 May 2019, 05:17 (Ref:3902548)   #2
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Was done on Easter Monday. Wondered when news was going to be released about it.

Who knows - could lead to competition between some manufacturers for the fastest lap in their class - little bit like the 'ring. Not as easy to access Mt Panorama though and not cheap with all the gate closures and staff needed to manage all that.
Old 8 May 2019, 05:27 (Ref:3902549)   #3
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't think it was that secret, especially if I heard about it on the day. Why the 2 week delay on news being published?
Old 8 May 2019, 09:39 (Ref:3902580)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm surprised he would want to be seen in one of the ugliest cars currently on the road.......
Old 8 May 2019, 10:09 (Ref:3902590)   #5
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Amazing they use the manual version when the automatic is so much faster!
Old 8 May 2019, 10:16 (Ref:3902592)   #6
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm surprised he would want to be seen in one of the ugliest cars currently on the road.......
Ugly cars, pretty yen.
Old 8 May 2019, 10:20 (Ref:3902594)   #7
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I don't disagree but have you seen the taste of the great unwashed?
Old 8 May 2019, 11:24 (Ref:3902608)   #8
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
But as Jeremy Clarkson remarked about the Ford Granada Scorpio, you can't see how hideous it looks on the outside when you're inside driving it.
(This was said a long time ago, so long ago that I listened to what he said instead of turning the TV off as soon as his fat face appeared!)
Old 8 May 2019, 11:50 (Ref:3902615)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess that much is true!
Old 9 May 2019, 10:24 (Ref:3902767)   #10
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
He is a Honda company man, that's why, plenty of ¥ for life.

Button has literally been doing such promotions for Honda for decades. Here he is with the 2007 Civic Type R: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBg9Dvx_8ZQ "It sounds like a proper racing car" not like these silly modern day turbos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Amazing they use the manual version when the automatic is so much faster!
There is no automatic, only the NSX comes with automatic dual-clutch (9-speed). Civic Type R is the good ol' six on the floor setup.
Old 10 May 2019, 00:43 (Ref:3902885)   #11
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No scrutineering so you could pretty much put anything under the bonnet and get the publicity
Old 10 May 2019, 07:55 (Ref:3902912)   #12
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by db120176 View Post
No scrutineering so you could pretty much put anything under the bonnet and get the publicity
Wrong....the event was run under a CAMS permit complete with scrutineering, timekeeping etc.

I doubt Honda Australia would jeopardise their reputation by doing something silly.
Remember this is part of a world wide marketing activity by Honda with Jenson Button being a long standing brand ambassador.
Australia happens to be the first non European country to feature in the activity.
From the look of the various videos it was a major undertaking and Jenson came across as a very friendly chap with a real love of the circuit.
Obviously it was a lot slower than when he drove the F1 in the Vodafone event a number of years ago!
Old 13 May 2019, 02:55 (Ref:3903407)   #13
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
Wrong....the event was run under a CAMS permit complete with scrutineering, timekeeping etc.

I doubt Honda Australia would jeopardise their reputation by doing something silly.
Remember this is part of a world wide marketing activity by Honda with Jenson Button being a long standing brand ambassador.
Australia happens to be the first non European country to feature in the activity.
From the look of the various videos it was a major undertaking and Jenson came across as a very friendly chap with a real love of the circuit.
Obviously it was a lot slower than when he drove the F1 in the Vodafone event a number of years ago!
Cheers for that, I stand corrected
Old 13 May 2019, 05:24 (Ref:3903411)   #14
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Hold my beer while I start a rumour.....Honda secretly working on a V8 Suoercar...
Old 13 May 2019, 08:13 (Ref:3903431)   #15
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
There is no automatic, only the NSX comes with automatic dual-clutch (9-speed). Civic Type R is the good ol' six on the floor setup.
Thanks V8 Fireworks, I did not know this.

Interesting quote from Honda on the selection of the transmission:

“We produced just 6MT (six-speed manual transmission) only for Type R because the engine achieves 400Nm and 320PS,” explained Honda powertrain project leader, Yuji Matsumochi.
“The Type R being a lightweight front-wheel drive means there is a need for lightweight powertrain systems. So the engine has big power and relatively heavy weight, so the transmission needed to be lightweight.
“If we tried to have an automatic transmission (option) or DCT for over 400Nm, then the powertrain would be very heavy weight, which would mean additional front weight, and upset the weight balance.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...type-r-107824/

Pretty much, the latest fad transmissions are heavy and have poor durability.
Good to see the manuals are returning!
Old 14 May 2019, 04:48 (Ref:3903623)   #16
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Thanks V8 Fireworks, I did not know this.

Interesting quote from Honda on the selection of the transmission:

“We produced just 6MT (six-speed manual transmission) only for Type R because the engine achieves 400Nm and 320PS,” explained Honda powertrain project leader, Yuji Matsumochi.
“The Type R being a lightweight front-wheel drive means there is a need for lightweight powertrain systems. So the engine has big power and relatively heavy weight, so the transmission needed to be lightweight.
“If we tried to have an automatic transmission (option) or DCT for over 400Nm, then the powertrain would be very heavy weight, which would mean additional front weight, and upset the weight balance.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...type-r-107824/

Pretty much, the latest fad transmissions are heavy and have poor durability.
Good to see the manuals are returning!
Similarly, the i30N from Hyundai is only available in proper manual, with three pedals.