Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Sep 2019, 12:04 (Ref:3926877)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Continuation Blower Bentleys!

I had to check it wasn’t April 1st! First reported on the road car forum...

https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...8&postcount=90

Autocar piece here, but it’s reported many times elsewhere as well....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...r-blower-racer

And just to authenticate- Bentley media also...

https://www.bentleymedia.com/en/news...nuation-series
Old 9 Sep 2019, 12:13 (Ref:3926879)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I had to check it wasn’t April 1st! First reported on the road car forum...

https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...8&postcount=90

Autocar piece here, but it’s reported many times elsewhere as well....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...r-blower-racer

And just to authenticate- Bentley media also...

https://www.bentleymedia.com/en/news...nuation-series
When I saw the thread title I thought "Surely not"...
I was wrong!
Old 9 Sep 2019, 12:22 (Ref:3926888)   #3
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will they be able to road register them? Have any of the other continuations been road registered? IIRC they havent, in which case what is the point?
Old 9 Sep 2019, 12:46 (Ref:3926893)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Race cars, status symbols or just PR? Have none of the other continuations- Listers, Cobras, Daytona Coupes, DB4GT and Zagato, E Types (sure there’s others) received road registration?
Old 9 Sep 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3926905)   #5
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Race cars, status symbols or just PR? Have none of the other continuations- Listers, Cobras, Daytona Coupes, DB4GT and Zagato, E Types (sure there’s others) received road registration?
I would have thought that as newly built cars they should receive a current (age related) registration, but to do that, would have to conform with all of the current legislation. I didn't see any daytime running lamps or any of the current malarkey on the pictures of the Bentley!
Old 9 Sep 2019, 13:54 (Ref:3926914)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I would have thought that as newly built cars they should receive a current (age related) registration, but to do that, would have to conform with all of the current legislation. I didn't see any daytime running lamps or any of the current malarkey on the pictures of the Bentley!
Well, none of that ‘malarky’ is present on any of the other models mentioned either! And I’m sure some have received road registrations.

No doubt there is a tenther who knows (or has time to find out) how the system works or how manufacturers get round it......
Old 9 Sep 2019, 14:51 (Ref:3926933)   #7
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
No doubt there is a tenther who knows (or has time to find out) how the system works or how manufacturers get round it......
Some of the continuations are described in this article.

Of note - 'the new DB4 GT, with 340bhp straight six, is track-only like the D-Type'

Alternatively, this article talks about Alvis' continuations. They are road-legal.

Last edited by crmalcolm; 9 Sep 2019 at 14:58.
Old 9 Sep 2019, 15:49 (Ref:3926943)   #8
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Some of the continuations are described in this article.

Of note - 'the new DB4 GT, with 340bhp straight six, is track-only like the D-Type'

Alternatively, this article talks about Alvis' continuations. They are road-legal.
Interesting, thank you. I wonder how they get around the latest legislation on seat belts, crash testing & lighting etc? (Exhaust emissions were alluded to presumably by the mention of using fuel injection). Could there be some sort of exemption due to the low numbers produced, or, as they use effectively 1968 chassis & engine, will they bear E/F suffix registrations?
Old 9 Sep 2019, 19:12 (Ref:3926976)   #9
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Why do they bother!
A London Talbot 105 is a much better car so why buy one of these trucks ?
Old 10 Sep 2019, 05:15 (Ref:3927048)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
You only have to look at race results to realise how much better the Talbot is! How about a run of continuation 105s, then.......
Old 10 Sep 2019, 05:51 (Ref:3927053)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Ian Polson has been building replica 105’s for past thirty years.
Gareth Burnett at Pace Historic’s even knocked out two or three as well as looking after six of the seven real Alpine works cars.
Probably twenty pretend cars in all.
Surprisingly the history of some of the reengineered,replica copy etc cars has grown like Pinocchios nose .
Same thing happens with Bentley with dozens of pretend Le Mans bodied cars and recreations
Bit I don’t understand is they get advertised as matching number cars with new bodies which has always baffled me.
Many of the four and half’s have five point three litre engines
Always an interesting subject.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 06:07 (Ref:3927055)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can't argue re the better comp history than the Bentley's but since I was a young lad the Bentley story has always captured my imagination. I just love the look of them.

That said the I believe blowers never received the approval of WO and were financed by Birkin, or his girlfriend anyway.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 06:19 (Ref:3927059)   #13
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Not sure she was his girlfriend!
She had friends of her own!
It was Ms Padgetts money.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 06:39 (Ref:3927060)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes either way, it wasn't his money.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 07:19 (Ref:3927067)   #15
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes either way, it wasn't his money.
Like the either way reference!!
Old 10 Sep 2019, 07:47 (Ref:3927073)   #16
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Could they not hit the road on a Q plate, under SVA rules?

The cars I mean, not Birkin and his not girlfriend.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 10 Sep 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3927076)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

The cars I mean, not Birkin and his not girlfriend.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I believe you can get an age related plate nowadays, instead of a Q.... ? (In certain circumstances..)
Old 10 Sep 2019, 08:21 (Ref:3927077)   #18
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
I believe you can get an age related plate nowadays, instead of a Q.... ? (In certain circumstances..)
I believe so too Mike, but it's the circumstances bit that baffles me. Max has mentioned the Q plate which I believe would be appropriate for the Alvis as even though the chassis & engines are of a known (old) age, everything else (including the fuel injection) would be new. Plus, you can't change from a Q plate and put a personalised registration on the car (which I'm sure would not suit an Alvis owner!)

Last edited by VIVA GT; 10 Sep 2019 at 08:22. Reason: To clarify I was talking about the Alvis although it's a thread about Bentleys!
Old 10 Sep 2019, 08:41 (Ref:3927082)   #19
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Quote:
Q plates are issued when the age of the vehicle is not able to be determined. That would not be appropriate for these cars.

To get an age-related number, the car must be 'built from genuine period components from more than one vehicle, all over 25 years old and of the same specification as the original vehicle'
Again, not appropriate to these cars.

As these cars are built from new parts, then they must meet current build standards to comply with registration requirements. These cars would either fall under:
a - 'National Small Series Type Approval Certificate' scheme, which requires a car built in 2019 to conform to the 2019 UK build regulations.
b - 'Basic Individual Vehicle Approval' scheme, which consists of 'either a visual inspection or a simple test on the vehicle to ensure, as far as practicable, that it complies with the regulations.'
Old 10 Sep 2019, 10:35 (Ref:3927131)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
There has got to be a way of registering, probably ‘b’ above, as I’m sure it’s only the Aston that was announced as ‘track only’.

Mind you, there is nothing to stop an owner buying an old plate and just sticking it on a race car without registering the number to it. As long as they didn’t use it on the road, of course. The number would just be on retention, so maybe that’s why many replicas and continuations I see racing have road plates.....
Old 10 Sep 2019, 11:45 (Ref:3927142)   #21
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
DRLs are optional in the IVA testing guide.

The mandatory lighting for this car would be:
2x Front Position
2x Rear Position
2x Stop Lamps
2x Front Direction/Hazard
2x Rear Direction/Hazard
2x Main Beam Headlights
2x Dipped Beam Headlights
1x Rear Registration Lamp
1x Rear Fog Lamp
1x Reversing Lamp

A number of these can be incorporated into single units.

The full IVA guide can be found here.