Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Apr 2018, 17:45 (Ref:3818438)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Red Bull-Honda

Autosport reports that Red Bull have opened formal talks with Honda about a potential supply of engines for 2019. Good idea, bad idea? And what would it mean for the Aston Martin branding? It would be a brave move, notwithstanding Honda’s progress this year, but then it would make sense to have both chassis based round the same ICU.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3818445)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The earlier they make that decision, the better. Better do it now and design the car around it than leave it to the last minute.
Also I don't think it would matter in terms of the Aston Martin branding as their actual involvement supplying engines to RB isn't in effect before 2021, so RB can just get a 3 yr Honda deal to tide them over.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 20:01 (Ref:3818486)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
But would Honda be happy to have AM stickers all over the car? They’re not *direct* competitors, but even so...
Old 30 Apr 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3818487)   #4
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that Aston Martin as a power unit supplier starting in 2021 is... maybe? Those regulations are not finalized and I wouldn't expect AM committing until they know what they are committing to. Anything could happen between now and then with respect to the regulations.

Regardless of what the situation is with respect to 2021, it would seem odd to have both the Aston Martin and Honda name on the car at the same time. I just don't see Honda wanting to rebrand the engine as Aston Martin just for RBR? Unless maybe the price is right?

Also, I don't really follow the state of the RBR and Renault relationship, but could Honda be both primary (if development goes well) and back (if development is not to RBR's liking) as some type of stalking horse scenario in which if they negotiate with Renault, that Renault knows Honda is in the wings and that RBR is not desperate (at least as portrayed by RBR) and in a bad negotiating position.

Richard
Old 30 Apr 2018, 20:06 (Ref:3818492)   #5
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull has stabbed Renault in the back so many times I bet Renault would be glad to see the back of them
Old 1 May 2018, 13:20 (Ref:3818673)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Mind that Red Bull already sponsors several motorsport programs by Honda.
Old 1 May 2018, 15:10 (Ref:3818692)   #7
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
Red Bull has stabbed Renault in the back so many times I bet Renault would be glad to see the back of them
Oh, I don’t know. The knife wounds tend to be square in the chest for all to see.
Old 1 May 2018, 22:55 (Ref:3818743)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Aston doesn't have the money to build an engine. It will be badging at best. They are just a sponsor at the moment.
Old 1 May 2018, 23:20 (Ref:3818753)   #9
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Oh, I don’t know. The knife wounds tend to be square in the chest for all to see.

Very good!
Old 6 May 2018, 06:03 (Ref:3820231)   #10
Marcopolo
Rookie

Marcopolo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post

The fact that they are prepared to do business with them still boggles my mind, didn't surprise me that Merc and Ferrari didn't want to supply Red Bull after the way they treated Renault publicly before.

The other possibility is that if red bull aren't successful for a period of time that Dieter gets bored and packs his toys and leaves. Like he did in NASCAR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 6 May 2018, 07:15 (Ref:3820239)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I was surprised anyone wanted to do business with RBR.

I wouldn't be surprised if RBR just packed up and went, especially if they have a bad season. NASCAR is irrelevant
Old 6 May 2018, 07:45 (Ref:3820245)   #12
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcopolo View Post
.... didn't surprise me that Merc and Ferrari didn't want to supply Red Bull
Didn't surprise me either. I don't think Mercedes or Ferrari would like to be beaten by a customer team.
Old 6 May 2018, 09:20 (Ref:3820265)   #13
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Didn't surprise me either. I don't think Mercedes or Ferrari would like to be beaten by a customer team.
Exactly, nothing to do with how Red Bull reacted to Renault failings.
Old 6 May 2018, 09:33 (Ref:3820266)   #14
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Aston doesn't have the money to build an engine. It will be badging at best. They are just a sponsor at the moment.
Certainly not under the current regs but with the new regs who knows.
Old 6 May 2018, 09:33 (Ref:3820267)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They were still lucky to hold onto the Renault engines
Old 6 May 2018, 11:38 (Ref:3820305)   #16
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Had to laugh when I read that Renault are expecting an immediate gain in performance with their new fuel to be introduced in Spain.

Red Bull, with their refusal to use the recommended by Renault Castrol / BP fuel and oil wont have access to this. McLaren will as they followed Renaults recommendation.
(Red Bull are the only team to not use the same fuel as their engine manufacturer. Mercedes insist FI and Williams use Petronas as Ferrari do with Haas and Shell) The engines were designed and built around the use of their recommended 'liquids'. Seems like a no brainer to use them. But Red Bull know better.

Quote:
Renault is expecting its Formula 1 engine to get a performance boost from next week's Spanish Grand Prix thanks to an upgrade from fuel supplier BP.
The works team and McLaren will have access to new fuel at Barcelona, but Renault's other customer Red Bull will not.
Full story: https://au.eurosport.com/formula-1/r...78/story.shtml
Old 6 May 2018, 12:03 (Ref:3820316)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

Renault I think will look better with McLaren in 2019. They will do well this season, especially their works team, but don’t expect fireworks and don’t expect RBR to always be up there the way things are
Old 11 May 2018, 01:35 (Ref:3821420)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Renault are to enforce the FIA's 15th of May deadline, for a new supply deal with Red Bull.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/135923
Old 11 May 2018, 07:14 (Ref:3821441)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

I think it’s 50/50 whether they will stay with Renault or go Honda for 2019
Old 19 Jun 2018, 00:01 (Ref:3831774)   #20
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...-deal-1046734/

Looks like Honda..
Old 19 Jun 2018, 00:33 (Ref:3831778)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
That's a bold move, considering Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda are 7th in the WCC, with 19 points.
Old 19 Jun 2018, 05:45 (Ref:3831798)   #22
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Honda have somehow have created a completely free hype machine... everybody seems convinced that they improved massively in Canada when there actually was no indication of that whatsoever. In fact, Renault was the one with the big improvement, comfortably beating Force India.

As usual with these sort of things emotion and ego go before facts. Red Bull will not win a single race again from 2019 until the new engine regulations if this is true.
Old 19 Jun 2018, 06:27 (Ref:3831802)   #23
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's a bold move, considering Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda are 7th in the WCC, with 19 points.
Toro Rosso with Renault engines finished 7th in the WCC last year.
Old 19 Jun 2018, 06:31 (Ref:3831803)   #24
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Honda have somehow have created a completely free hype machine... everybody seems convinced that they improved massively in Canada when there actually was no indication of that whatsoever. In fact, Renault was the one with the big improvement, comfortably beating Force India.
The Honda showed the biggest improvement in Canada rather than the modest Renault gains.

IMO switching is a no-brainer. At worst will still be the third best team, can get STR to trial stuff on-track for them and get paid instead of paying. Also get an additional PR machine behind them who doesn’t have their own team.
Old 19 Jun 2018, 07:08 (Ref:3831811)   #25
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Confirmed.

https://redbullracing.redbull.com/ar...nda-power-2019

https://www.renaultsport.com/renault...statement.html