Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 May 2017, 21:20 (Ref:3730440)   #1426
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just Saturday Nax . Mrs Delta is coming as well . Not told her it will be a 5 am start yet
Old 1 May 2017, 21:24 (Ref:3730441)   #1427
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah I only have Sunday off otherwise I would have wandered down for a natter. I'm at Clay on Saturday, just up the A303.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 2 May 2017, 18:34 (Ref:3730605)   #1428
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Here's a tech question that is nothing to do with historic racing, but someone clever like Gordon may know something.......

My Volvo tractor unit is, like most trucks nowadays, ECU controlled electronic injection with fly by wire accelerator etc etc. Every now and then it doesn't like starting- either the engine dies as it fires up and then struggles to get going, or it just churns over on the starter for a while before reluctantly firing up. Both produce unburnt diesel smoke.....

During the winter while away from my place, the tractor stood untouched for 3 months, then fired up first turn, so it's nothing to do with lack of use! That got me thinking, as I normally leave it connected to an 'intelligent' charger that serves the trailer batteries as well. I've now stopped connecting it, and since then starting has been 'on the button'!

Could it be that the charger is upsetting the electronics, or supplying too high a voltage, or......?
Old 2 May 2017, 18:57 (Ref:3730612)   #1429
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Could it be that the charger is upsetting the electronics, or supplying too high a voltage, or......?
Where is the charger when you charge it and what do you connect it to, batteries directly or ciggy lighter?
Old 2 May 2017, 19:56 (Ref:3730624)   #1430
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Charger permanently wired to trailer batteries, tractor batteries connected manually to them by Anderson plug.....
Old 3 May 2017, 12:29 (Ref:3730742)   #1431
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Charger permanently wired to trailer batteries, tractor batteries connected manually to them by Anderson plug.....
OK, thought it might be in the cab plugged into one of the lectric sockets. I've had problems with electrical equipment messing with the key chip reader and causing all sorts of starting problems, even our old electronic fuel card readers and some gate remotes caused problems with one truck so we had to make sure we didn't have any such item near us when we started the lorries.
Old 3 May 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3730745)   #1432
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Well! No wonder you are having trouble.
Old 3 May 2017, 13:47 (Ref:3730752)   #1433
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Well! No wonder you are having trouble.
Bob, an Anderson Plug is not what you had in the sink of your Anderson Shelter...
Old 3 May 2017, 15:00 (Ref:3730761)   #1434
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Bob, an Anderson Plug is not what you had in the sink of your Anderson Shelter...
Viva, having had good reason to thank Anderson for the efficiency of their protection against Nazi bombs, I am very happy to give them a plug.

None of this is probably of much help to Mr Bell and his Volvo problems.
Old 3 May 2017, 15:13 (Ref:3730765)   #1435
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I'm working on the principle that the more places I ask advice the more possibility there is of getting some that actually helps. Not necessarily on Tea Break, however......

BTW Bob, hope you've noticed my 'RAC Motor Sport Member' badge. You must have seen loads of them in your youth....
Old 3 May 2017, 16:26 (Ref:3730775)   #1436
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
BTW Bob, hope you've noticed my 'RAC Motor Sport Member' badge.
Nice badge, Mike. Aint they suppose to rescue any type of vehicle? Volvo trucks for instance Or only Sherpas… By the way, what kind of car Einstein driver is supposed to race??
Old 3 May 2017, 18:41 (Ref:3730806)   #1437
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
I'm working on the principle that the more places I ask advice the more possibility there is of getting some that actually helps. Not necessarily on Tea Break, however......

BTW Bob, hope you've noticed my 'RAC Motor Sport Member' badge. You must have seen loads of them in your youth....
Mike you must have more badges than a keen Boy Scout.
Old 3 May 2017, 19:07 (Ref:3730811)   #1438
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Mike you must have more badges than a keen Boy Scout.
Just the three really precious ones.

I read that crash test dummies are now having to be 'built' to represent car passengers of 'large' proportions. It's feared that results using the normal dummies (that have not changed for many years) don't represent real life anymore!
Old 3 May 2017, 19:36 (Ref:3730817)   #1439
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just the three really precious ones.

I read that crash test dummies are now having to be 'built' to represent car passengers of 'large' proportions. It's feared that results using the normal dummies (that have not changed for many years) don't represent real life anymore!
The dummies probably have to be dumbed down to match the intellect of the snowflake generation...
Old 3 May 2017, 19:41 (Ref:3730819)   #1440
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
The dummies probably have to be dumbed down to match the intellect of the snowflake generation...
That's not fair!
Old 3 May 2017, 19:43 (Ref:3730820)   #1441
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
That's not fair!

I know - I shouldn't be unkind to dummies!
Old 3 May 2017, 20:06 (Ref:3730829)   #1442
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I know - I shouldn't be unkind to dummies!
Oh! I'm not offended John.
Old 3 May 2017, 21:34 (Ref:3730849)   #1443
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Not sure what you are chatting about . Just been to charity karting event . Why o why is there always some tw-t who turns up in a white race suit , red race boots and a copy of senna crash hat . Any way I buffed him of the track . And I got fastest lap . Not bad for an OAP😀
Old 4 May 2017, 04:21 (Ref:3730891)   #1444
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if anyone is interested but there is a three hour on the Nordschleife this year.Full details as and when.
Great stuff Iain.😆😆
Old 4 May 2017, 04:57 (Ref:3730899)   #1445
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>>Why o why is there always some tw-t who turns up in a white race suit

Hey it needs encouraging. They're my customers! And they pay premium prices

Old 4 May 2017, 06:03 (Ref:3730906)   #1446
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
>>>>>>>>Why o why is there always some tw-t who turns up in a white race suit

Hey it needs encouraging. They're my customers! And they pay premium prices

I bet this one doesn't pay a thing ... but someone else does.

https://twitter.com/FollowAndretti/s...854212/photo/1

Boots not red though.
Old 4 May 2017, 10:44 (Ref:3730953)   #1447
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I bet this one doesn't pay a thing ... but someone else does.

Boots not red though.
Like the helmet design!

And for anyone that doesn't recognise him- the dude in the pic is Fred Teflonso, at Indy yesterday....
Old 4 May 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3730957)   #1448
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's a dude?
Old 4 May 2017, 11:09 (Ref:3730960)   #1449
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
What's a dude?
A posh (or French) dud.
Old 4 May 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3730970)   #1450
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
What's a dude?
He is!

The simplest dictionary definition of 'dude' is 'man'.....