Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jan 2003, 17:42 (Ref:481317)   #1
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TC, LC, Auto gears banned starting from British GP

See here
Spare cars can be used if originals are damaged, but the driver will have to start from the back of grid.
Telemetry is still allowed, but radios cannot be encrypted and so are available to TV broadcasters.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 17:45 (Ref:481320)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
cos
Telemetry is still allowed, but radios cannot be encrypted and so are available to TV broadcasters
Clever Max. Threaten something more to get what you really want

Last edited by Adam43; 21 Jan 2003 at 17:47.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 17:46 (Ref:481323)   #3
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Horrah!!!!! They've seen the light!!!!

This is certainly more towards what I would look to as a sensible suggestion. Not perfect, it had to be said (but they can't please everyone). But certainly some of these ratifications are geared towards cost-cutting without harming major elements of the sport.

I'm sure that we suggested many of them here first......
Old 21 Jan 2003, 17:46 (Ref:481324)   #4
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would agree with that, however I kinda liked the 2001-2 seasons compared to any other 'the other team cheats' seasons. The 'not so encrypted radio comm's' is stupid though. Anyway, these are encouraging signs that the common sense will prevail afterall.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 17:47 (Ref:481326)   #5
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I look forward to seeing half of the drivers stranded on the grid at Silvertsone because they've forgotten how to start their cars properly!
Old 21 Jan 2003, 17:50 (Ref:481334)   #6
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Fear not. However some of them might not finish the first lap, even though they managed to take off safely...
Old 21 Jan 2003, 18:01 (Ref:481350)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Ok, cold shower time. . The FIA press release

• pit to car telemetry - eliminated with immediate effect;

2 thumbs up.

• car to pit telemetry - eliminated from 2004 and a standard data logger introduced at the same time (immediate implementation would not save money because the
limiting factor is the data acquisition system. This cannot be eliminated from a car in the short term);

2 down. Sucks big time.

• radio communication between team and driver to be allowed provided (i) the system is stand-alone and cannot transmit other data and (ii) the communications are open and accessible to the FIA and broadcasters. The possibility of a standard system accessible to the public at a Grand Prix is being explored;

I agree with (i), certainly against (ii)

• a third car will only be used if a race car is damaged beyond repair. If a race car fails just before the start, any spare car will start from the pit lane, as will a spare
car used following a race stoppage in the first two laps;

Hmm. Might work, however I can't see the logic behind the thinking. Either they do want to reduce the costs (ie to discourage the build of a 3rd car) or not.

• cars will be held under parc fermé conditions between qualifying and the race, but can be kept in a team’s garage under supervision. Any work other than a
very restricted list will require special authorisation;

Stupid, to use a mild word.

• traction control and automatic gearboxes will no longer be allowed from half way through the season - ie from the 2003 British Grand Prix;

Might work. But is just a MAx'n Bernie attempt to gain political capital. They did prove that they're unable to enforce that.

• launch control will end at the same time provided the teams can all operate their current clutches manually;

Same as above

• following today’s meeting the FIA is satisfied that the absence of traction control, launch control and fully automatic gearboxes can be proved using a combination
of new technology and extra (FIA) sensors. Software inspection remains available to the FIA as a back-up if needed. It will therefore not be necessary to introduce a standard ECU in 2004.

Completely ambiguous, but I'm happy to read the last sentence: "it will not be necessary to introduce a standard..;."

Last edited by Red; 21 Jan 2003 at 18:04.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 18:14 (Ref:481367)   #8
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do you disagree with open communication channels Red? It seems great to me as it will make policing the 'team orders' rule far easier and add to the event for us as we get an insight into what the teams are doing.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 18:25 (Ref:481376)   #9
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Before I can now go into detail on my opinions (tea's been eaten) - a standard reminder The Chat room is open for live discussion on this Breaking News.

Right, looking at press release I can say that at least we have time to work on the FIA a little bit more!
I am still against the complete ban on telemetry, I say limit it to 1 time per lap updates.
I think the spare car rule still is a little vague - "beyond repair" I view the same as "Exceptional circumstances" - but the wording does discourage more than prevent.
Quote:
I told you so #1- originally posted by Asp 15.01.03
It'd be much fairer to impose a NASCAR-style sanction - you change chassis, you go to the back of the grid - sort thing (maybe 10 places as per the F1-tint on things): then grids are not disected because 4 drivers wrote their cars off before the race.
Radios - perfect.
Quote:
I told you so #2 - orininally posted by Asp 16.01.03
Second point, still on radios - so, people are worried about team orders. In that case, get FIA officials to listen in. And, as someone said - they can be pre-planned. I'm going to look at NASCAR for this, have simple radios, without complex digital technology - firstly it's cheaper and secondly you can't mask telemetry on it.
And the way that the TV can listen in is just fabulous, I've been wanting that for ages - could prove very interesting to us fans!
I do like the way they're not commiting on driver aids - I do not like driver aids, but if there's going to be arguments amount cheating again and 'legal' traction control, then I think it may be more detremental to the sport

You know, looking at the way some of the regs being what were suggested by is, perhaps the myth that Bernie and Max do lurk isn't that much of a myth!!!

Last edited by Asp; 21 Jan 2003 at 18:30.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 18:38 (Ref:481393)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Damon, I dont disagree with radio-comms. I mean with 'cannot transport other data... etc'. But certainly I do bnot agree with 'make the comm available to anyone'. That can alter the race strategy. For example, any team might be aware of when and what tyres will have the competitors. Remember situations like Suzuka 99? Allegedly Coulthard was unleashed on track, having a damaged car, just to exit in front of Schumacher, 1 lap down(!!!) and, I repeat: alegedly, he delayed him for several laps just to retire. Those are the situations that I'm not eager to see. Allow them to have their secrets.

Last edited by Red; 21 Jan 2003 at 18:40.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 19:19 (Ref:481446)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These regs. are much better and less vague than the original proposals. The implimantation should not be too difficult either. It would be idiotic for the team to not have had a manual way of overriding their automated systems.

I dont understand the idea of no radio communications though. It will make planning the finish more difficult but not necessarily impossible. I say give them the rope to hang themselves.
I dont think any of these rules will cut costs but will definately even the playing field a bit.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 19:26 (Ref:481458)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
alegedly, he delayed him for several laps just to retire.
I've never been a DC fan, however, he stayed in fron t of TGF for 3 blueflags, which is within the rules.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 19:30 (Ref:481468)   #13
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Yeah, but his car was faulty. And where are the 'respect the spirit not only the letter of the law' fans? Anyway, can't remember exactly, but if it was only '3 blue flags' than the Japanese Marshalls should either increase in number or improve the theory. Anyway, it was just an example, you surely understand what I wanted to say..
Old 22 Jan 2003, 00:23 (Ref:481894)   #14
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Yeah, but his car was faulty. And where are the 'respect the spirit not only the letter of the law' fans?
They're all either squashed against the pit wall after receiving an MS squeeze at the start of a race, or trying to work out at what exect angle they can claim to have had the bargeboards mounted on the car to make them legal, or just waiting for everyone else to finish before finishing themselves.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 01:23 (Ref:481942)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
I dont think any of these rules will cut costs but will definately even the playing field a bit.
Maybe it will. This could reduce the R&D requirements that the LC,Trax and auto transmissions require to get the running parts sorted out with the black box.

To be honest, if there is a mandatory requirement to cut down on testing for all teams, then everyone will benefit. Right now, the Big Three are running up huge costs to keep ahead of each other with their intensive testing programs, and they really have to get together among themselves and agree that this is simply wasting money if each team gets the same amount of benefit from their R&D.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 01:47 (Ref:481954)   #16
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The playing field will never be even, but it could slightly reduce the hill to be climbed - which is good.

I think the holding of cars between Qual and the race is a clever move to stop "one lap specials" being built at huge cost - whatever you qual with, you race with (tyres even? not yet clear).
Old 22 Jan 2003, 02:03 (Ref:481964)   #17
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the so called 'clarification' does is open up some more loop holes

In the case of the T car - Define 'Faulty' & 'Just before the race'

Faulty could mean the engine packs up on the way to the grid or it could mean TGF's seatbelts feel funny!

and Just before the race is that from 7am on sunday morning or from when the pitlane opens for the grid formation?

Ok they have to start from the grid but who warms up the T car if they are indeed allowed to?

As for the LC get out - It will be banned if they team can manually operate the clutch - What this the drivers left foot for? Surely if they can operate the clutch automagically they can do it manually even if it is just a button on the steering wheel!

Last edited by rlinter; 22 Jan 2003 at 02:04.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 02:30 (Ref:481978)   #18
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so if they can't encrypt, what is code for "Rubens i think you need to slow up a bit "? (Sorry it had to be said)

This entire escapade is a joke. The FIA tried to scare everyone but then realized they couldn't do so and this is what we are left with. Big deal we can listen to the radio convo's!! Can someone explain to me how making changes this late can supress costs? The only teams in danger just got bailed out and the changes could probably very easily kill them and he sole other privateer because of the redevelopment costs.

And can anyone explain how this will make racing closer?
Old 22 Jan 2003, 02:32 (Ref:481979)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Look!!! Let's be positive and at least look at the changes in a fair minded light. Just the fact that the spare car must start from the pit lane will discourage anyone from using it simply "if the seat belt doesn't feel right". Obviously it will be to every organisers benefit to have the maximum number of cars starting, and I for one think that it will be beneficial to have SchM start from the pit lane than not at all if the car is badly damaged.
As for parc ferme between quals and the race, I reckon that is also a great idea that none of us here had thought of.
As for the clutch operation, this obviously has something to do with the operation of the transmission rather than the foot.
I view the whole episode positively as something that for once Max and the FIA has tried to do to help reduce costs, and from what members have seen me post to date, I think they are on the right track.
I don't only see this as something to level the playing field as such; more as a means to avoid the lessor funded teams from going the same route as Prost and Arrows.