Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 2 May 2001, 01:06 (Ref:87813)   #1
Kartracer
Rookie

Kartracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
need help with setup.

By loosing off the front and/or rear bars, allowing more chassis flex, will this give me more or less grip? I run an Arrow AX6 with 40mm axle and have been told that with a 40mm axle or bigger that the basic rule of wheels out=less grip and wheels in=more grip is opposite is this correct?
The problem is that only once out of eight races have I been able to dial out all the understeer.This was archived with front wheels all the way out and same with the back wheels (it was after this I was told about the 40mm exception to the rule)and the fourth rail removed .The next race when the track got hotter this setup gave me understeer again!!
I am unable to go testing before the next racemeeting so I am hoping someone can give me some new ideas.
Thank in advance....
PS I moved the seat forward but made little change and race clubman S/heavy
Old 3 May 2001, 01:30 (Ref:88171)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
set up is always a strange thing..what may work for one race may not work for the next just an hour later..I never quite got the hang of setting up the kart right ..there was always something wrong when the race was on.

with the AX6 there is a multitude of changes that can work..I hardly ever changed the front but quite often changed the rear ..yes i belive that moving the back out should give you more grip..im not to sure about the 40mm axle though..i ran everything reasonably loose ...front bars , rear bars and sidepods as well just to give the chassis some flex..sometimes it worked but other times it didnt ..sorry i cant be of more help to you kartracer..but the biggest change that I noticed in handling was with tire pressures...allthough on my kart there was something wrong..in the dry i always ran the front in a wet set up and in the wet ran it as a dry set up..i think i got a lemon of a kart ..but somehow managed to get the thing working very well..all i can suggest is try different things but only make one change at a time time so you know if it works or not..if you use weights ..try positioning them differently as this can change the grip of the kart as well..for an AX6 i usually ran my rear tires at the 4th mark on the axle..thats if you have them or not..on the front I had 3 spacers on the inside and one on the outside of the rim ..this seemed to give a nice balance for me anyway.
Old 3 May 2001, 01:40 (Ref:88174)   #3
Kartracer
Rookie

Kartracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Marcus
It sure is a "black art" isn't it.... Thanks for the advise. As I won't be able the practice before the next meeting I am just going to treat it as a test session!!
Old 6 May 2001, 00:11 (Ref:89500)   #4
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rear wheels out=less grip,Rear wheels in=more grip axle diameter shouldn't matter,
I had it explained like this,when a kart corners to get it to turn the inner rear wheel unloads slightly.

Think of your rear axle as a lever,with the rear wheels out you have a longer lever making it easier to lift that inner wheel,which in turn reduces grip,the reverse being true for putting them in further.

In the wet every one i have seen puts the rears in no matter what axle size,and moves the front out for more front grip,at the expense of it not turning in quite as well.

However what suits driver A,might not suit Driver B,test whenever possible,if possible recording track temp,
air temp,gearing,tyre pressures and lap times, where your wheels are positioned etc,keep records from track to track so next time you can refer to them,(shouldn't really say all that cause i don't,but all the fast guys do,and i'm about to start) keeping records can help you get on the pace quicker when you go back to that track as you can refer back to them,it takes a lot of time and you need some one to help with it,it also helps to have someone to discuss this with when you get back to the pits,reveiw how you drove what it felt like,how it compared to other sessions.
Old 17 May 2001, 22:10 (Ref:93793)   #5
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has the change to Vega tyres from Bridgestones played any part in this? I read about some chassis requiring camber changes to make the Vega fronts work.

DPE did publish some updates on Arrow Kart setup for the new tyres on their web site.

I only checked on tyre pressures for Dunplop SL1s, as we run a J. The info on that was helpful

Last edited by philneast; 17 May 2001 at 22:12.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 12:01 (Ref:104373)   #6
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
G'day everyone

I'm not new to ten-tenths, but I've only just discovered this karting forum. As this is the only form of motorsport I've been involved in (albeit a couple of years ago), I reckon it might be a bit of fun to join in.

I must agree with Warwick, kart setup is a totally subjective thing. I remember at a practice session, swapping karts with the guy I ran with, just for a couple of laps to see what the other guy was doing. The thing was awful for me, however, he was very quick in it. He got out of my kart complaining that it was far too darty at the front and that he thought it was an absolute handful.

I always tried to keep the rears out a bit, and the fronts out quite a bit, but less so than the rears.
Old 19 Jun 2001, 20:13 (Ref:107027)   #7
The Fan
Rookie

The Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to get a good setup.

1.Do not take advice from others for granted. Everything needs to be tested.
2.When you test make sure that you know what you are doing and put it on paper. With the commends of the driver.
3.Decide what you will test before you start the day and even test things you know are bad. Just to make sure.
4.And the most important thing : ask yourself if you are driving the kart well. Everyone can improve.

Good Luck
Old 27 Jun 2001, 14:54 (Ref:110296)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Excellent advice Fan..always good to make a decision and stick to it and write it down so you can refer to it at a later date.

dont know if any of this stuff has helped the original poster but we can only hope

anyway a very friendly welcome to the forum to "The fan" and "Mac"