Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Jun 2011, 15:28 (Ref:2905308)   #1
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ear protection

Looking for good recommendations for ear protection for British GP? Foam earplugs? Full ear defenders?

Recommend away...

Cheers,
David
Old 24 Jun 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2905331)   #2
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
how much do you want to pay?

read
http://www.soundadvice.info/thewholestory/san5.htm

so, cutting noise down from over 100dB requires something with an SNR of 30 or above

So, for race engines - high frequency stuff - the little compressible earplugs are more than adequate for the job (not the yellow foam ones, the more squidgy, shaped ones)

various ear protectors with their SNR given
http://www.sba.co.uk/category.asp?CategoryID=7

I use ear defenders when I have to route an earpiece (of an official radio) in , obviously plugs are no good.
Plugs @ Le Mans when trying to sleep.

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 24 Jun 2011 at 16:07. Reason: various
Old 24 Jun 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2905333)   #3
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Foam plugs not as effective as full ear defenders. Would recommend proper kit from likes of Bilsom, Moldex etc. Not as expensive as you might expect from Arco. Ask for MSA Marshal's discount and they will be a little cheaper.

Check the pads seal adequately when wearing clutter round the lugs - hats and specs arms can get in the way and cause sound leakage.

The right sort should still enable you to have some kind of conversation ie not total isolation. Need to be adjusted to be comfortable for wearing for longer periods. Should then be able to listen to Radio Silverstone too via an earplug.

Useful to have the headband that will go round the back of the head as well as over the top - better when wearing wide brimmed hats.

Final thought, don't risk damaging the hearing its too precious - but we often only discover this in later life.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2905334)   #4
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Flagman, did you look at my second link? - the new style plugs are better than headsets - thanks tho, I just clarified which plugs I use

the best headsets are SNR 36
the best plugs SNR 37

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 24 Jun 2011 at 16:13. Reason: caution re: listening to radio Silverstone @ the GP
Old 24 Jun 2011, 16:17 (Ref:2905336)   #5
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
free ear plugs......................... fingers..
Old 24 Jun 2011, 16:32 (Ref:2905344)   #6
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was at Crystal Palace Sprints, saw baby in push chair, wearing head phones.
"What's he listening to?"
"We're protecting his ears!" flounced the parents.

But good idea! Esp. for pit lane marshals.
JOhn
Old 24 Jun 2011, 16:46 (Ref:2905350)   #7
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have tried different kinds of earplugs and hated them all with a vengeance. No matter how much I roll them up and press them in place, they just work their way out. Same goes for in-ear style earphones, never found any that will stay put for any length of time.

Got a set of Peltor Optime II ear defenders now. Superb, very comfortable, effective at reducing noise (SNR 31) without muffling too much sound detail, and they fit neatly over an earpiece. Which, combined with a scanner, can be very useful when you find the radio headset you've been given isn't working and you need to go hand-held for the rest of the day.

I wore them for the entire duration of the Le Mans 1000km last year and wasn't uncomfortable by the end. I'm at the Copse end of the old pit wall for the GP this year and I am glad I have a good set of cans to wear.

The Peltors cost around £14 a pair, it'll be money well spent compared with the skull crushers you get out of cheap DIY shops for a fiver.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 17:03 (Ref:2905357)   #8
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Following some "hearing awareness training" (otherwise known as moving OH's severly deaf Mother closer to us and trying to deal with her communication problems), we have bought noise cancelling ear defenders and are trying to use them whenever relevant. I have usually used ordinary ear defenders in the past having been quite aware that a lot of my motorsport friends and colleagues don't hear well. We both now find noise cancelling headsets much better than ordinary ear defenders, especially in a pit lane environment where it's useful to have some awareness of noises around you.

I use disposible ear plugs for camping trips and hotels to block out low level noise and always try to have some in my pocket at a circuit in case I'm out and about in without cans.

I did read the other day that everyone over the age of 40 ought to have an annual or at worst two year hearing test....If you've spent twenty years in motorsport you might be disappointed by the result
Old 24 Jun 2011, 17:03 (Ref:2905358)   #9
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All down to personal taste, really. I used the cheapo yellow foam plugs last year for the GP and they were fine. On the new pit straight this year so will definitely need them again!!
Old 24 Jun 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2905384)   #10
Charlyw001
Rookie

Charlyw001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
earplugs

You can remove this if you wish Boots opticians can custom make you a set of earplugs for around £90 the same as the main teams use.

I've got a set on order
Old 24 Jun 2011, 18:39 (Ref:2905407)   #11
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use some 3M 1435 ear muffs, see here (PDF).
Old 24 Jun 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2905431)   #12
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the pointers guys - not sure about the recomendation of sound cancelling headphones when moving the Mother in Law closer, or I might jusy have read that wrongly for comedy value!! :-)

The reason i asked really was that I didnt know whether the foam plugs were as effective as the larger 'cans' but it seems they are just as good. I may be heading that way especially with the cost and the ability to hear your colleagues talking while wearing them.

Most race weekends I dont use anything (perhaps foolishly), but I have a feeling that the F1 will be much louder than anything I have done before.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2905444)   #13
Micky.H
Racer

England
A Little Town In East Yorks
Micky.H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Used ear defenders at my first GP but found that they 'fell off' when dealing with an incident, have used the higher rated foam plugs since then for the last 11 years without problems, always take plenty or cleanliness!!!
Old 24 Jun 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2905451)   #14
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always keep a few plugs (bought the mixed bag from site shown below) in my pocket for "just in case", but mainly use the Peltor Optime II with the H520B fitting instead of the usual "over the top of the head" head squeezers. Fits better with a hat & is less top heavy & slips less.

If you're planning to have a scanner in one ear, they fit under mine nicely - bear in mind that without a can over the top of your ear-piece, you won't hear a thing anyway!

Good selection of clobber
http://www.safetysupplies.co.uk/trolleyed/4/index.htm

If you're at the MG meet this weekend, I'll bring a few spare plugs & you're welcome to see what you think of the Peltor kit too - offer open to other 10thers if you can catch me too
Old 24 Jun 2011, 21:00 (Ref:2905476)   #15
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
skeee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry for long post, I don't mean to patronise as only marshalled (cars) few years but have used ear defs/plugs on daily basis for last twenty plus so do have some experience.
I used yellow foam ear plugs for this years MSV Masters as I forgot my ear defs The plugs were just sufficient, even on post 11, ie six feet from an F1 car! Though I'd take a few pairs (5 for a quid- see link) and (try to) keep them clean.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Work...tion/d70/sd520

I tried ear defenders and plugs last year at DTM, F2 and Goodwood. I find ear defs more convenient as can quickly lift one ear (push it forwards so you can see before they fall off) to hear loads or between races and lower them quickly again if suprised by a car.
I also find if I leave both ears covered continuously for long periods it reduces spatial awareness.
Even the low attenuation Peltor H61 (slim folding type -for shooting) will provide significant protection though I prefer the full size Peltor H72A type designed for jet noise.

As long as they're EN352, apparantly the SNR isn't too crucial, (see link)-
http://www.peltor.se/int/FAQ_Product...pagenumber=154
just don't forget them
I have used noise cancelling ear defs, and they are awesome, but a little extravagant perhaps, ie if you do drop the ear plugs/cheap ear defs you can concentrate on the task in hand!

Old 24 Jun 2011, 21:16 (Ref:2905482)   #16
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
skeee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimcb View Post
I have tried different kinds of earplugs and hated them all with a vengeance. No matter how much I roll them up and press them in place, they just work their way out.
I remember when ear plugs were first introduced at work and was surprised when fitting at how far into the ear they are meant to go,
ie they must be squeezed/rolled up completely and fully inserted, see pdf link below (not pushed) then allowed to expand inside the ear. Hence the emphasis on hygiene.

I must admit I also find foam ear plugs irritating after a while also.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...eEarplugFP.pdf