Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 17 Sep 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1099299)   #1
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ear protection for children

My brother is planing to take his 5 year old son to the BTCC at Donington but wanted to use some sort of ear proctection for the kid due to the noise

Can anyone suggest what type of ear protectors would be suitable and where is a good place to buy them.........
Old 17 Sep 2004, 14:12 (Ref:1099366)   #2
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I can't tell you where to get them, otherthan safety wear shops, but Peltor make a very good quality hearing protector range. Make sure that it has a minimum rating of h7, and preferably a h10 as any damage done to a five year olds hearing will most likely be permanent. Try and get ones that have a recognised standard on them as well, and are comfortable for the child to wear.

The in-ear plugs work as well if you get the good ones, but may be a little large for a childs ear.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 15:11 (Ref:1099429)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
My advice is to go to your local gun or sporting shop and get a pair of ear defenders used for clay pidgeon shooting. I've been using them for years and they are extremely efficient.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 18:44 (Ref:1099622)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, the muffs are a better option for children than the plugs - they have less sound attenuation (25dB versus ~30 for the plugs, depending on the brand) but are easier for you to get on properly, and ensure they stay that way.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Sep 2004, 19:38 (Ref:1099667)   #5
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A comment

Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Yes, the muffs are a better option for children than the plugs - they have less sound attenuation (25dB versus ~30 for the plugs, depending on the brand) but are easier for you to get on properly, and ensure they stay that way.
Also easier to determine if they are still fitted!

It seems to me that this topic was discussed last year. try a search
Old 17 Sep 2004, 20:39 (Ref:1099703)   #6
McKay
Racer

McKay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I dont see why you really need them for BTCC events, they're not that loud really. But that could be my damaged hearing from using ear-phones and listening to loud music.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 20:58 (Ref:1099717)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The Cheeky Girls are at Donington that weekend. You might want to take some ear protection for yourself as well.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 21:12 (Ref:1099726)   #8
E. Becclestone
Racer

E. Becclestone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The safety shop muffles are better for kids- offering more db protection.....I think I paid £6 for my son's set. But if he can't get any in time, tell him to drop into the press centre at the circuit- they'll understand his situation & will probably give him & his son a free set of squeezy foam types that expand after you've rolled them up & put them in your ear. (As an ever caring parental member of the press, I normally carry a pocket full of sealed pairs around, and give them out to any kids I see :-).
A wise thing to do though IMHO- better to be safe than sorry- kids hearing is much more sensitive than adults (especially if he gets some sort of pit walkabout access pass granted) .....
Old 14 Oct 2004, 20:25 (Ref:1124698)   #9
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just found this thread.
I would say that only F1 or drag racing would be a must for kids to use ear protection.
Especially Santa Pod. It is far louder than F1 unless you get in the Monaco tunnel I guess! Nothing can prepare the body for the blast of two top fuel dragsters on launch however many times you have seen them. I have seen kids there frightened to death after a run. They are so loud all of the car alarms go off in the car park and that is way back behind the high spectator bank. The jet cars are loud too but they do not make the ground shake like the 6000bhp TF cars do.
I had a press pass at the Pod earlier this year and stood right by the startline. Good quality ear plugs were not enough. Boy did it hurt, but I was only 5 feet away!
Essential I would say if taking children drag racing.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 20:41 (Ref:1124712)   #10
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apart from gross overload (explosion type), hearing damage is an exposure over time issue. So don't go anywhere loud for a long time.

Make sure that the defenders are comfortable. Really good protection is no use at all if it is too uncomfortable to wear.

I would avoid many shooting type ones. Many of these try to work on little or no attenuation for continuous sound and very heavy blocking for impulsive sounds. Most motor racing would not trigger this effect.

Having said that, unless he (and you) were where you should not be (in the pits), I would be a bit surprised if you were exposed to levels which were damaging, even for a child. But certainly take all precautions until he is old enough to regard you as a wimp and go stand behind a BOSS car because that's where the noise is finest. (At the VSCC meeting at Donington recently, being in the garage when they were running the 2002 Ferrari up was magnificent. ;P )

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 14 Oct 2004 at 20:41.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1124726)   #11
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally speaking, I would always recommend that children wear some kind of ear defenders, as it's not so much the constant noise that does the damage but the pitch. I know to my cost - I burst an eardrum whilst spectating at the 1989 GP at Silverstone. It was the Ferraris that did it!