Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 5 Oct 2002, 12:25 (Ref:396308)   #1
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumours more rumours!

Watching sportsnet News here and they had a story on the Canadian boys and how Tracy is a done deal to Players. The Players team as you all know is owned by G. Forsyth who owns ~30% of CART, so you would think that the drivers on this team would know a little more about the latest F1 CART rumours than anyone else. Carpentier said in the interview something like Chris Pook and Gerry Forsyth have some big plans for next year that will be fantastic for CART I can't wait.

Chris Pook yesterday was interviwed during first round qualifying on Speed TV by Dereck Daly, he asked Pook about the rumors that he and Bernie were talking business. Pook replied that business was all that Bernie ever talks about and that he and Bernie met to have coffee.

Also the latest rumour (only a rumour) that I've heard on other forums is that CART may share weekends with F1 on the same tracks as a support race on a select few european tracks. To me this makes a lot more sense then the feeder series rumours.
Old 5 Oct 2002, 14:33 (Ref:396348)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
What would Bernie possibly have to gain from sharing tracks? The way I see it, he'd run the risk of losing fans to the ChampCars. And it sure would be a sudden "about-face" by Bernie, who, until now, despised CART.
Old 5 Oct 2002, 15:36 (Ref:396364)   #3
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So is CART gonna lose fans to the ALMS this weekend, don't think so.
Old 5 Oct 2002, 15:53 (Ref:396373)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps they've decided that they have more to gain by sharing their fanbase and building it, rather than taking cheap shots at each other as it's always been?

CART needs to be a hell of a lot more than an F1 support series, though! Anything more than two weekends sharing venues with F1 is simply NOT acceptable.

At least they're equal partners when they share a weekend with ALMS. They really need to do Sebring next year.
Old 5 Oct 2002, 21:54 (Ref:396532)   #5
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART fan base isnt large enough in Europe that F1 has anything to benefit from it. The TV figures are terrible
Old 5 Oct 2002, 22:05 (Ref:396539)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I hear the TV deal in Europe is pretty bad too...which I imagine has a lot to do with it. I think the sport would be quite popular their if it received more exposure. It's like F1, but friendlier. And I don't think the fact that they brake a little earlier and are a little slower out of hairpins will mean the series has no hope in Europe. If you buy that, then the only successful series is F1.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 5 Oct 2002, 22:35 (Ref:396553)   #7
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well given the respective fan bases, thats currently the case. Right now imo CART doesnt offer enough to be distinctive against F1. The passing situation is only marginally better, its not quite as quick as F1, etc. So the F1 fans look at it as a poor imitation of F1 and might as well just watch F3000 (in their minds)
Old 6 Oct 2002, 01:31 (Ref:396637)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok, that's what you think...

I think they'll like the different formula(turbos, big slicks, powersliding, kinda like F1 10 years ago), much friendlier atmosphere and hopefully cheaper cost for the fans. Not saying it will be a hit, but it would definately do better than F3000 which really is in no better shape than Cart right now.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 6 Oct 2002, 15:39 (Ref:396933)   #9
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Montreal is any indication of what might happen if Bernie shares the F1 tracks I can see where each can do very well with a little cooperation.

Very often businesses that cooperate with each other both come out stronger (Pro motorsport is in fact a business). An example is the original version of IBM vs. Microsoft. When they went against each other IBM floundered, when they decided to cooperate IBM came out of a tailspin and their combined platform became the global standard. This being true even though it is generally accepted that its not the best platform available.

The alternative of declaring war on each other as TG has done has proven to be bad for both. Sometimes you have to ask the question, is it better to be the second son of a rich man or the first son of a poor man?
Old 7 Oct 2002, 10:01 (Ref:397386)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The thing is, as TG has set up the Indianapolis F1 track, Bernie has some promotional loyalty to him. Although a few CART races supporting F1 would be good, Bernie may notbe willing to, and Tony George may not like it, he may even use it as marketing ammunition agaisnt CART, and describe it as a little F1 support and development series.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 11:51 (Ref:397455)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to TG at the USGP, his contract was only for 3 years and is now up for review. And this doesn't mean that he will automatically get everything he wants for next year, does it?

As for whether or not it's better to be the second son of a rich man or the eldest of a poor man, well that depends a lot on your brother, doesn't it?
Old 7 Oct 2002, 17:06 (Ref:397680)   #12
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
What would Bernie possibly have to gain from sharing tracks? The way I see it, he'd run the risk of losing fans to the ChampCars. And it sure would be a sudden "about-face" by Bernie, who, until now, despised CART.
I dont think Bernie ever despised CART, I think he was just apprehensive about a competing series, or someone moving in on his tracks. This means him possibly losing some sponsors, and losing money, which is not what bernie does. Aligning himself with CART in some way makes sense. I think Bernie would like to see F1 back at Long Beach. I love the city, but F1 doesn't belong at Indy.