Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Mar 2010, 11:18 (Ref:2654098)   #26
Cheburator
Rookie

Cheburator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Makes note to myself not to race in that series.....
Now, now Mr Drabble... It is not as if Mr Anderson and the Morgans/Datsun have never had contact in the HSCC 70s Roadsports over the years...

On a serious note - I was told that the rules in our series are VERY strictly enforced...
Old 17 Mar 2010, 21:31 (Ref:2654522)   #27
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes... I think you may have misunderstood me! My 'incidents' usually involve me and stationary bits of the scenery - not other cars...

I'd say the driving in FC is generally excellent, if you don't count me!
Old 17 Mar 2010, 23:11 (Ref:2654582)   #28
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Yes... I think you may have misunderstood me! My 'incidents' usually involve me and stationary bits of the scenery - not other cars...

I'd say the driving in FC is generally excellent, if you don't count me!

Hi Paul, I was just thinking that watching your antics in the 3-series in my mirrors were normally enough to frighten me into lifting off enough for you to pass me..................Heaven knows what you'd be like in a 5-series......

Liked your letter in ClassicCars BTW - can I have an autograph with your new pen?

Will you be at Snetterton?
Old 20 Mar 2010, 02:03 (Ref:2656207)   #29
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Hi Paul, I was just thinking that watching your antics in the 3-series in my mirrors were normally enough to frighten me into lifting off enough for you to pass me..................Heaven knows what you'd be like in a 5-series......

Liked your letter in ClassicCars BTW - can I have an autograph with your new pen?

Will you be at Snetterton?
Hi Richard - how are you doing? Re the letter in Classic Cars - well, now that I'm famous, I'll have to be careful who I sign autographs for! I mean, how do I know it won't turn up on eBay in a few weeks for a spot of blatant profiteering? Anyway, daren't use the new pen, as I think I'll have to sell the racecar to buy a refill for it if it ever runs out!

Regarding the 5 series idea - 'dangerous' is the word I think you're probably looking for!

I won't be at Snetterton - it's so bloody far away isn't it? Anyway, I'd do no good there - anyone I managed to pass somewhere would just go sailing back past me down one of those looong straights - especially when you consider that those same straights (with corners at the ends!) would mean I'd have no brakes by about lap five!

I am, however, aiming to be at Anglesey, as I wanted to do it last year but wasn't ready. Mind you, haven't touched the car for this year yet either - but I am going to make an effort. Still a couple of months before Anglesey, so time to get it done I hope. Look forward to seeing Steve and yourself there if you're doing it.
Old 20 Mar 2010, 23:25 (Ref:2656915)   #30
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Paul - yeah should be at Anglesey - got to go, I've invested £19 in a Travelodge booking

Its a good circuit - did a race there at the end of last year sharing a ride in a Jaguar courtesy of Brian George of this forum - so I'll have a head start on Steve, for once! Look forward to seeing you guys again!

Richard
Old 2 May 2010, 16:34 (Ref:2683281)   #31
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Just reviving this thread and getting back on topic - I see that there are potentially 3 928s at Brands, though 2 of them are reserves...and Alex (the OP) is 6th reserve.....hard luck, mate.....

Anyone know anything about the other 928s?
Old 2 May 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2683429)   #32
RetroWheelsRacing
Rookie

RetroWheelsRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kevin Leaper at Practical Performance Car magazine is aiming to race his 928 in FC according to his monthly articles.
Old 2 May 2010, 23:37 (Ref:2683496)   #33
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroWheelsRacing View Post
Kevin Leaper at Practical Performance Car magazine is aiming to race his 928 in FC according to his monthly articles.
Yeah, he's the one that's definitely got a run.....so is he a novice or do I have to be afraid of him?

I'll have to have a look at the mag, I guess....
Old 3 May 2010, 06:42 (Ref:2683607)   #34
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroWheelsRacing View Post
Followed it down the M1/A14 (on its trailer) last wednesday - they had been testing at Mallory. I noted the CSCC stickers so sent them an e-mail; they are in at Brands and also hoping to do Spa.
Old 6 May 2010, 22:16 (Ref:2685685)   #35
Cheburator
Rookie

Quote:
Just reviving this thread and getting back on topic - I see that there are potentially 3 928s at Brands, though 2 of them are reserves...and Alex (the OP) is 6th reserve.....hard luck, mate.....

Anyone know anything about the other 928s?
I have heard that all reserves will make it on the starting line, but don't quote me on this...

If Mark Chilton's 928 is running well on the day he will probably win. The car is a an ex-factory effort and Mark is an animal behind the wheel with decent experience from the Porsche Open where he raced a stupidly powerful 993 GT2...
Old 7 May 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2685921)   #36
alfaracer156
Rookie

Ireland
Royston,Herts
alfaracer156 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheburator View Post
I have heard that all reserves will make it on the starting line, but don't quote me on this...

If Mark Chilton's 928 is running well on the day he will probably win. The car is a an ex-factory effort and Mark is an animal behind the wheel with decent experience from the Porsche Open where he raced a stupidly powerful 993 GT2...
Some of us in the other cars might dispute he will win,roll on Sunday. Mike Watson
Old 7 May 2010, 13:28 (Ref:2685970)   #37
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheburator View Post

Can't see everyone getting on the grid if everyone turns up....the track licence is only for 38 for the GP circuit....for the Indy I actually thought it was 30 - at least that's what the Circuit Guide says...
Old 10 May 2010, 05:53 (Ref:2687687)   #38
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought, with the cut-off of 1990, I assume a Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R would be eligable?? All this talk of expensive German metal, and there's some cheap Japanese horsepower out there.....
Old 10 May 2010, 13:22 (Ref:2687939)   #39
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaracer156 View Post
Some of us in the other cars might dispute he will win,roll on Sunday. Mike Watson
Well, on the day, with the Suds etc exported to TinTops, everyone got a run...and I can report that Mr Chilton was indeed might quick......2nd overall, albeit just under 10seconds behind Martyn in the TR8...although if Mr Olson had taken a 30 second "winners" penalty rather than a minute he'd have won!

I have to say that the Sierra Cossie, although lapped by the first 7, won the award for most entertaining sound as it warbled and wailed at every gearchange...tho maybe the Trans-am sounded meatiest.....
Old 10 May 2010, 16:50 (Ref:2688065)   #40
Cheburator
Rookie

Great Day

Well pleased that I managed to get on the grid and to actually race and finish... Now I need to grow some cojones and to realise that racing is just that little bit different from track days Thanks to everyone for being friendly and supportive while I was trying to fix the problem with the scavenge pump.

Roll on Anglesey...
Old 10 May 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2688204)   #41
alfaracer156
Rookie

Ireland
Royston,Herts
alfaracer156 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, on the day, with the Suds etc exported to TinTops, everyone got a run...and I can report that Mr Chilton was indeed might quick......2nd overall, albeit just under 10seconds behind Martyn in the TR8...although if Mr Olson had taken a 30 second "winners" penalty rather than a minute he'd have won!

I have to say that the Sierra Cossie, although lapped by the first 7, won the award for most entertaining sound as it warbled and wailed at every gearchange...tho maybe the Trans-am sounded meatiest.....
The reason we were lapped was because we thought the pitstop was 60secs min,we sat there and wasted at least 45secs.We had gone from 13 upto 3rd behind the Chilton 928 and were right behind him for 5/6 laps until the pitstop.Must read the regs next time.Mike Watson
Old 11 May 2010, 00:36 (Ref:2688359)   #42
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaracer156 View Post
Must read the regs next time.Mike Watson
Always a plan.....
Old 11 May 2010, 14:25 (Ref:2688632)   #43
MarkKo
Rookie

Switzerland
Leicestershire
MarkKo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My second race in FCs,really enjoyed it,many thanks to everyone that have been so freindly and the chaps in the jags that helped me jump start the lorry after the battery went flat!
Old 11 May 2010, 15:03 (Ref:2688642)   #44
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really enjoyed the entire meeting, especially the future classics.

Thanks a lot to Richard for sending me the entry lists, i do look for you in the paddock sunday morning but could find only the car!

Simon
Old 11 May 2010, 18:44 (Ref:2688770)   #45
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59 View Post
Just a thought, with the cut-off of 1990, I assume a Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R would be eligable?? All this talk of expensive German metal, and there's some cheap Japanese horsepower out there.....
As long as its pre 1990 & complies with the other (few) regs then yes, I guess so.
Old 11 May 2010, 23:21 (Ref:2688940)   #46
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowen250 View Post
Really enjoyed the entire meeting, especially the future classics.

Thanks a lot to Richard for sending me the entry lists, i do look for you in the paddock sunday morning but could find only the car!

Simon
Ah, well that's because I'm so slim I'm nearly invisible.............(I wish).

Was just wandering about I guess - got to the circuit from the hotel just after 8am, and was round and about most of the day, but more "about" I guess.....

You were welcome to the list info, anyway!
Old 12 May 2010, 13:11 (Ref:2689182)   #47
robhollyman
Racer

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
robhollyman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

what happened to your 944, I see that in my results sheet (now framed) that you're a DNF, could swear I saw you still running at the end although I think I went past whilst it looked a bit sick on the back straight.
Old 12 May 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2689245)   #48
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You may have been in the truck / bus thing near the car at the time, i loitered for a bit but to be honest the paddock was pretty cold!

A Skyline in the series..... now that would be awsome especially a mask fronted R30....

Simon
Old 13 May 2010, 12:40 (Ref:2689741)   #49
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhollyman View Post
what happened to your 944, I see that in my results sheet (now framed) that you're a DNF, could swear I saw you still running at the end although I think I went past whilst it looked a bit sick on the back straight.

About 3 laps into my stint I developed a bad "cutting out" - initially just after Graham Hill bend----the car would just cut then burst back into life - after a lap or so I pitted to see if there was a loose wire or some such - nothing found, and went out again - it was again OK for about 1/3 of a lap then started cutting again - repeated the process afew times but I was becoming a mobile chicane and it was getting dangerous, so I retired it....my first DNF

We "think" it was because of a jubilee clip that had got dislodged - on the intercooler to throttle body pipe - possibly getting caught by the throttle quadrant...allowing the pipe to flex off the throttle body - possibly when the engine rocks slightly at hard cornering - and when the turbo gives full boost it blows to atmosphere rather than into the engine and cuts it momentarily. Impossible to replicate exactly when stationary, but if the pipe is manually flexed off it seems to exhibit the same symptoms....

We are changing the DME relay as a precaution and checking every electrical connection we can find, too......don't want a repeat at Anglesey....
Old 13 May 2010, 22:27 (Ref:2690051)   #50
TR8ER#7
Rookie

England
Castle Donington
TR8ER#7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cutting Out?

Quote:
About 3 laps into my stint I developed a bad "cutting out" - initially just after Graham Hill bend..
You developed a cutting out? Have you tried a doctor?

- Perhaps it was the rapid altitude changes from Paddock Hill through to Graham Hill Bend ......or perhaps it's that Southern air that doesn't agree with Northern respiratory systems. Next time take a good sniff of a flat cap & whippet just before you get in the car.

Sorry to hear you had problems. Thanks for the heroic 'getting out of the way manouevers'.