Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Nov 2010, 13:16 (Ref:2794226)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
HSCC Calendar 2011 - Discussion

I have just looked at the HSCC dates - am I correct in assuming that this year HSCC are NOT going to Castle Combe and Spa?
Old 22 Nov 2010, 13:54 (Ref:2794239)   #2
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not Combe, but definitely Spa in September (closed wheel this year)
Old 22 Nov 2010, 14:15 (Ref:2794249)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
its not on their website... sad about Combe - Croft is a very poor substitute. Reckon that will be about 3 rounds I will do then, Donington, Brands GP and Snet 3 hour. I guess they might get a round at the BGP
Old 22 Nov 2010, 14:17 (Ref:2794251)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Neither Combe nor Spa is on the calendar.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2794676)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

wonder why Combe fell off the radar - its always a packed meeting and run alongside the Masters day on the Saturday a good example of how two organizors can work together to their and the competitors benefit
Old 23 Nov 2010, 12:51 (Ref:2794677)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perhaps Masters isn't going there? Their calendar is awaited.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 12:54 (Ref:2794679)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

I think its fair to say that HSCC were doing the August Combe meeting when Top Hat was merely a thought in Julius Thurgood's head...
Old 23 Nov 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2794684)   #8
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't necessarily agree that Croft is a poor substitute for Combe. The Croft Nostalgia Weekend was great fun this year, with a lot going on in the way of sideshows and displays. The large number of families watching the racing from the banking was very reminiscent of Combe as well.

I agree that it would be nice to have Combe on the HSCC calendar, but despite its omission, I still think the HSCC calendar looks very good.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 13:19 (Ref:2794689)   #9
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Croft is a very poor substitute
Disappointed to see Croft described as such. Locally we pulled out all the stops to make this year's event a good one and I for one (being locally biased) am glad to see it return. My understanding was that the HSCC and a lot of the drivers were quite impressed by the circuit itself and the 'nostalgia events', if not the facilities.

Sorry that Castle Combe may be losing out - always looks a nice circuit.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 13:54 (Ref:2794700)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

Gary I am not trying to be rude about Croft but having had a son at school in North Yorkshire I know it takes the same time to get to Spa for me!!

Castle Combe is my local circuit (apart from Thruxton which HSCC have only been to once in my memory) and their August meeting was like a low church Goodwood if your festival is similar I am sure it is excellant but for a southerner like me a very long way!!!
Old 23 Nov 2010, 14:04 (Ref:2794709)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It's good to have a decent meeting up north.

There are major Northern and Scottish players who race most weeks in the south without the whinging of the southerners.Some with very small budgets.

People will race if they want to.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2794711)   #12
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair enough Simon if it's a distance thing etc. It was just the 'very poor substitute' thing that got my attention - as you probably know Croft is under extreme pressure to maintain its viability given the noise limitations so anything that appears to 'knock' it attracts our attention 'up north'!

All the best, Gary.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 14:13 (Ref:2794716)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
It's good to have a decent meeting up north.

There are major Northern and Scottish players who race most weeks in the south without the whinging of the southerners.Some with very small budgets.

People will race if they want to.
John I cannot argue with any of this - I am very much a weekend warrior and as such if I cant get there and back in a day I have to be motivated by more than a 40 minute race!!!
Gary I am sorry it did sound like a knock on Croft which is wrong of me as I have not been there!
Old 23 Nov 2010, 15:54 (Ref:2794758)   #14
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's just such a pity that the sections at the back of the pits and the hairpin are so 'mickey mouse' and spoil what could be a great circuit.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 18:40 (Ref:2794820)   #15
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad to see Croft back on the calander, as I thought it was a great success and has the beginings of a great event. Please nobody take this wrong way as it's not meant as a dig, but us Northern enthusiats have a long trek for virtually every meeting. From where I am Oulton just under 2 hrs, Donington just over 2 hrs, Mallory and Cadwell 2 and half hrs, Silverstone 3 hrs and so on. That's not factoring in getting in and out of the circuit for bigger events. That's in a car and not always sticking to the national speed limits, competitors in a transporter would take a lot longer. I therefore think one meeting in the North is fair enough.

As regards Croft give it a try Simon, as Gary says a lot was put into the meeting last year and hopefully they'll build on this. Okay the circuit is'nt Oulton Park but it ain't half bad and produces some decent racing. I intend being there again this year as it 's the only form of motorsport that the wife will come along to. Intend taking the little one and my nephews next year as well (maybe even the old man too). Proper family day out, may go the whole hog and take my sister, brother in law and Mother!
Old 23 Nov 2010, 18:53 (Ref:2794826)   #16
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
wonder why Combe fell off the radar - its always a packed meeting and run alongside the Masters day on the Saturday a good example of how two organizors can work together to their and the competitors benefit
It appears Combe has one historic race day in 2011, I assume Top Hat, and that is Easter Monday.

As the HSCC have a two day meeting at Cadwell that weekend I might finally make the very long haul up there rather than 10 miles to Combe.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 20:46 (Ref:2794882)   #17
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did the Croft nostalga meeting,and realy enjoyed it,even the mickey mouse bits.
Took 5 hours to get there and hope to be going this year as well.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 21:06 (Ref:2794888)   #18
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
I did the Croft nostalga meeting,and realy enjoyed it
Though nearly a disaster for both of us Robyn!

We were told last weekend that there is every likelihood the HSCC Cadwell event will be a 3-day effort if that helps you make your mind up Brands, but whether Frid/Sat/Sun or Sat/Sun/Mon not yet decided.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 14:43 (Ref:2795229)   #19
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Neither Combe nor Spa is on the calendar.
Not to mention Knockhill
Old 24 Nov 2010, 14:51 (Ref:2795236)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Farrell View Post
Not to mention Knockhill
Knockhill is not on many calendars. I'm not sure why because a weekend in that part of the world watching hairy V8s and nimble 2litres would be quite remarkable.

It would of course have to be in Autumn, so that we could all toddle off to the local hostelry to sample the delights of various single malts whilst describing the way we avoided hitting a certain piece of banking.............. by sheer skill you understand.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 15:14 (Ref:2795246)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would rather travel the extra hundred miles to race at Croft than Combe which I dislike intently and see it as a dangerous circuit with little run offs and boring, Croft on the other hand is interesting and you can get away with the odd mistake without taking your car home in a body bag. They both are appaling for facilities so no contest between the two there!
Old 24 Nov 2010, 15:23 (Ref:2795252)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I like Combe, never been to Croft.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 23:02 (Ref:2795430)   #23
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Knockhill is not on many calendars. I'm not sure why because a weekend in that part of the world watching hairy V8s and nimble 2litres would be quite remarkable.

It would of course have to be in Autumn, so that we could all toddle off to the local hostelry to sample the delights of various single malts whilst describing the way we avoided hitting a certain piece of banking.............. by sheer skill you understand.
HSCC, or other historic races at Knockhill would be great.... It would seem unlikely to happen, due to the long distance that competitors would have to travel, especially when some find the journey to Croft excessive. There have been few visiting historic highlights at Knockhill in the past couple of years, Formula Junior races in June this year being a wonderful exception. At the same event, there should have been Equipe GTS, but insufficient entries were received to make a race viable. Still, northern historic race enthusiasts have the increasingly well-supported Scottish Classic Sports & Saloons to look forward to, as well as the Croft Festival and Gold Cup which are within relatively easy travelling distance.
Old 25 Nov 2010, 21:21 (Ref:2795818)   #24
banbury
Rookie

banbury should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It`s a shame there`s no closed wheel at Spa next season for the HSCC,I was looking forward to going.
Old 25 Nov 2010, 22:06 (Ref:2795839)   #25
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
It's not on their calendar for some reason, but it will be happening.