Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Apr 2024, 14:22 (Ref:4205327)   #551
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hear that Alan Minshaw has passed away today.
Can’t be many people that have not bought something from, or at least have heard of, Demon Tweeks.
Condolences
Old 18 Apr 2024, 15:59 (Ref:4205342)   #552
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, came up on my FB feed. Very sad but at least he got to 88.
Old 20 Apr 2024, 17:30 (Ref:4205607)   #553
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just back from Sillystone where the VSCC had it fiorst day of the Hawthorn Trophy "Spring Start" meeting. Boots photo developers will be a bit busy. Spent a pleasant hour chatting with RBS and his two colleagues on post 9 before heading back to Luffield to catch the pre 66 Formula ones.
Old 21 Apr 2024, 07:21 (Ref:4205703)   #554
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBn8Fx

Meanwhile I was at Silverfence, where the latest "initiative" at Luffield means there are no fence free shots available to snappers.

Back later today to see if I can find a fence free shot of the track ...
Old 21 Apr 2024, 20:11 (Ref:4205937)   #555
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBn8Fx

Meanwhile I was at Silverfence, where the latest "initiative" at Luffield means there are no fence free shots available to snappers.

Back later today to see if I can find a fence free shot of the track ...
Sunday https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBnd8s
Old 22 Apr 2024, 09:30 (Ref:4206003)   #556
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well done, I was trackside but it still looks like a building site. Lots of close cropping needed.
Old 22 Apr 2024, 09:42 (Ref:4206008)   #557
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
I fear that it may always look that way now. Back next weekend for British GT but not sure whether to take the camera ...
Old 22 Apr 2024, 12:47 (Ref:4206045)   #558
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Just back from a surprisingly bright and sunny, and mostly fairly warm, Croft. Couple of red flags due to cars beached in the kitty litter near the end of session, but driving standards generally good from what I could see.

Edit - typed this Saturday night, but for some reason didn't post it
Old 24 Apr 2024, 13:43 (Ref:4206284)   #559
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Now is it just me ? I have been trying to pay somebody just now by bank transfer and it just keeps failing, after a five minute wait on the phone I then got to actually speak to an actual "person" who I could not understand ! but I persevered with him and after a while I was told that he would send me a text with a code. I then told him that I was actually on my mobile that he would text me on so I had to then use my land line and start it all over again with someone else (but I could understand them) I went through the whole thing again and actually got a text with a code that failed 3 times ! and was then told that they couldn't do anymore for 24 hrs !!!!! I then tried to do the online transfer again that simply refused immediately so I gave up.
Now we have all been forced into this as my bank that I have used since the 60s has closed down and the nearest branch is several miles away and you cant phone them. Am I alone in finding things that should be simple are becoming really difficult and frustrating ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Apr 2024, 14:19 (Ref:4206287)   #560
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It gets worse Gordon. I am with Santander and when I want to make an online payment I always click 'decline' when asked about cookies. A few weeks back I tried to make a payment and was refused any access to the 'pay an account' section. After several attempts I rang Santander online banking and after about 20 minutes eventually got through to a person and explained the problem. After being passed up the line the supervisor told me it was because I declined their cookies that I was denied access -at least she had the decency to sound embarrassed by this policy.
I was absolutely incensed by this brassnecked attitude which didn't allow me to access MY money, for which they pay a pittance in interest, unless I agreed to accept them clogging up my computer with their damned crap.
I emphasise again that this was Santander (SANTANDER, for those who couldn't hear me) so if you are contemplating changing to them - beware.
I will change banks if anything better comes along.

Last edited by morninggents; 24 Apr 2024 at 14:27.
Old 24 Apr 2024, 14:35 (Ref:4206288)   #561
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I stand to be corrected but the cookies thing was supposed to be outlawed when we left the EU because it's tied up with EU GDPR regulations. It's so they can keep your data on file and track your shopping habits etc.
Old 24 Apr 2024, 16:08 (Ref:4206297)   #562
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No they haven't been outlawed, that's the message that pops up every time you visit a site. You have to give your explicit permission.

Personally I'm quite happy with cookies and personalised ads, it stops me receiving adverts for feminine hygiene products or baby food. It's a bit of a pain when I get adverts for a site I've just bought from, but if it keeps social media toll free then to me it is a price worth paying.

I look at it this way. We can't put the internet or tracking genie back in the bottle so best to make it work for me.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 24 Apr 2024, 16:10 (Ref:4206299)   #563
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
No they haven't been outlawed, that's the message that pops up every time you visit a site. You have to give your explicit permission.
I don't recall saying they had been outlawed. What they do is permit the websites to track you with your permission. They don't actually need them to function, or to provide whatever service you are seeking.
Old 24 Apr 2024, 16:42 (Ref:4206302)   #564
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Am I alone in finding things that should be simple are becoming really difficult and frustrating ?
Of course you're not alone, Gordon. Not only for banks but car insurance at least here and other on-line services, no answer when you need them. It seems the whole thing works only when subscribing.
Old 24 Apr 2024, 17:29 (Ref:4206310)   #565
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I've just been researching how to report the death of my mother to her bank. You can't phone them, you have to go online to a "hub" and upload death certificate etc. It's nuts.
Old 24 Apr 2024, 17:37 (Ref:4206312)   #566
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Condolences, Peter.
Old 24 Apr 2024, 17:46 (Ref:4206313)   #567
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Now is it just me ? I have been trying to pay somebody just now by bank transfer and it just keeps failing, after a five minute wait on the phone I then got to actually speak to an actual "person" who I could not understand ! but I persevered with him and after a while I was told that he would send me a text with a code. I then told him that I was actually on my mobile that he would text me on so I had to then use my land line and start it all over again with someone else (but I could understand them) I went through the whole thing again and actually got a text with a code that failed 3 times ! and was then told that they couldn't do anymore for 24 hrs !!!!! I then tried to do the online transfer again that simply refused immediately so I gave up.
Now we have all been forced into this as my bank that I have used since the 60s has closed down and the nearest branch is several miles away and you cant phone them. Am I alone in finding things that should be simple are becoming really difficult and frustrating ?
With a lot of the Banks shutting , it is not easy . But I have found Post Offices quite helpful .If you have an invoice with a " Scan Code ? " , they can do a money transfer with your credit card .
Not sure of all of the details , but it is worth having a word in your nearest Post Office .
Old 24 Apr 2024, 18:11 (Ref:4206315)   #568
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Condolences, Peter.
Thanks Mike.
Old 24 Apr 2024, 20:04 (Ref:4206333)   #569
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I don't recall saying they had been outlawed. What they do is permit the websites to track you with your permission. They don't actually need them to function, or to provide whatever service you are seeking.
My apologies if I misunderstood you. And condolences from Tylers to you.

Old 24 Apr 2024, 20:32 (Ref:4206339)   #570
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No problem and thanks Max.
Old 24 Apr 2024, 20:43 (Ref:4206341)   #571
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Condolences on your loss Peter.
Old 25 Apr 2024, 05:37 (Ref:4206356)   #572
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My sincere condolences to you, Peter, at this sad time.

Best wishes, John
Old 25 Apr 2024, 06:58 (Ref:4206357)   #573
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I've just been researching how to report the death of my mother to her bank. You can't phone them, you have to go online to a "hub" and upload death certificate etc. It's nuts.
Condolences from me too Peter. I can smile about it now but after losing my mum I was going through the process of closing her accounts and so on. When I spoke to British Gas, even though I explained the reason for my call, they still insisted that I couldn't close the account myself and they would have to speak to the account holder!
Old 25 Apr 2024, 09:39 (Ref:4206366)   #574
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Personally I'm quite happy with cookies and personalised ads, it stops me receiving adverts for feminine hygiene products or baby food. It's a bit of a pain when I get adverts for a site I've just bought from, but if it keeps social media toll free then to me it is a price worth paying.
The superviser at SANTANDER that I spoke to first tried to justify that the cookies were there for my benefit! Lying ****ock. We all know it's so that the advertising is to improve the bank's profits and, more important to them, the CEO's bonus.

Condolences to Peter.
Old 25 Apr 2024, 09:47 (Ref:4206368)   #575
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It might still feel like mid-winter here but the swifts have jetted in this morning amidst a cacophony of twittering.

If they've got any sense they'll turn round & go straight back to Africa, not the least because as it is so cold there are no flies buzzing around for them to eat!