Old 9 Dec 2010, 00:18 (Ref:2801757)   #26
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I've never accepted the argument that Piquet put people in danger. I believe it is within the ability of an F1 driver to stage a 'safe' accident.
But it did require marshals to go onto a live track. Also debris, whilst unlikely, still poses a risk.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 00:21 (Ref:2801759)   #27
gillesf
Rookie

gillesf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All three did it, not only two. Damage done by all three was bad, danger to others was worst.

I understand he was young, scared and upset but keep in mind...The only reason any of this came public was because he and his piece of crap father could not black mail the team so he could continue driving the car.

In his own words, "If I am being honest, I think I was motivated more by anger against Flavio than by a desire for a clean conscience," he admitted. Revenge is no excuse!

This guy should be driving a cab somewhere and telling his story to people for a few coins a mile. Maybe he and his dad could both drive it, but I assume they will not need the money due to their efforts and immunity from prosecution.

He will quickly be forgotten as he should be. His father has now erased or seriously damaged any respect or honour he had for what he was in past and showed how far one can fall. He wasn’t protecting his son, blackmail and revenge came after the damage was done. Now he will be only a father that raised and taught his son nothing. Good bye to them both.

Danger to others isn't from what he did by crashing the car in my mind but rather that someone with this in him is on the track with cars running at speeds to kill in the first place. He lacked the basic respect of his fellow drivers and his very presences put them in danger.

There is no excuse for this guy and anything he has to say should fall on deaf ears. If anyone is stupid enough to give him a seat beyond the cab they should demand a mental fitness test.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 09:11 (Ref:2801860)   #28
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nea View Post
But it did require marshals to go onto a live track. Also debris, whilst unlikely, still poses a risk.
But wasn't the safety car out pretty much by the time that the marshals got from the closest post to his car, thus meaning they didn't go out on Live track but a neutralised track instead.

Heck everyone has done some silly at work/driving should we all be banned from doing that for ever, no! it was a misjudgement by him, so we should all just leave him be and if he wants to race, let him race.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 09:23 (Ref:2801865)   #29
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Not only that but those who instructed him to stage the accident deliberately chose a place where neither he nor (more importantly) anyone else would be put at risk.
No one can ever predict exactly what may or may not happen during an accident. The FIAs own N-cap crash test has proved this many times over. Also there was always the possibilty of an unsited driver running into Piquet's car. The accident also deliberately occured at a place where recovery of the vehicle was expected to take some time. To say that 100% no one else would have been put at risk, not even the driver, is naive at best.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 10:12 (Ref:2801890)   #30
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesf View Post
All three did it, not only two. Damage done by all three was bad, danger to others was worst.

I understand he was young, scared and upset but keep in mind...The only reason any of this came public was because he and his piece of crap father could not black mail the team so he could continue driving the car.

In his own words, "If I am being honest, I think I was motivated more by anger against Flavio than by a desire for a clean conscience," he admitted. Revenge is no excuse!

This guy should be driving a cab somewhere and telling his story to people for a few coins a mile. Maybe he and his dad could both drive it, but I assume they will not need the money due to their efforts and immunity from prosecution.

He will quickly be forgotten as he should be. His father has now erased or seriously damaged any respect or honour he had for what he was in past and showed how far one can fall. He wasn’t protecting his son, blackmail and revenge came after the damage was done. Now he will be only a father that raised and taught his son nothing. Good bye to them both.

Danger to others isn't from what he did by crashing the car in my mind but rather that someone with this in him is on the track with cars running at speeds to kill in the first place. He lacked the basic respect of his fellow drivers and his very presences put them in danger.

There is no excuse for this guy and anything he has to say should fall on deaf ears. If anyone is stupid enough to give him a seat beyond the cab they should demand a mental fitness test.
The same should be said to anyone involved... even if they pledge they didn't know what was happening.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 10:30 (Ref:2801902)   #31
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesf View Post

If anyone is stupid enough to give him a seat beyond the cab they should demand a mental fitness test.
I understand he was young and probably not motivated by proper ethical concerns too, but it doesn't mean I feel the way you have expressed yourself in the following paragraph.

I won't forget either him or his father and nor does the issue in any way tarnish my respect for his father and what he accomplished 20 years earlier as a F1 driver. Certainly the respect I had for him has not been erased nor has any honor I would have given him.

Maybe I do need a mental fitness test, but if I was running a NASCAR truckteam I would probably give young Piquet a test and if he was satisfactory and quick give him a drive, because he can actually drive quite well, which was part of the problem.

He was teamed with Fernando and we know how well Fernando's team mates fared in the past, (Fisichella, Hamilton, Piquet and Massa) and what happened when they fought back.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 10:38 (Ref:2801908)   #32
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
young men make mistakes and this one certainly had a lot of pressure on him applied by some rather unsavory characters. he paid the price for his mistake (really the only one to do so) so i have no problem with him getting a second chance returning to F1 (provided he can find a drive) or finding a drive elsewhere.

and really if Flav can come back why not the kid who got burned by him. If Alonso can walk around and claim a fraudulent win as his own, why is that jr. is the one who has to bare the shame of it?
My thoughts exactly. Great post.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 10:39 (Ref:2801910)   #33
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They won the case. Good for them. Good luck to them.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 10:41 (Ref:2801911)   #34
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
young men make mistakes and this one certainly had a lot of pressure on him applied by some rather unsavory characters. he paid the price for his mistake (really the only one to do so) so i have no problem with him getting a second chance returning to F1 (provided he can find a drive) or finding a drive elsewhere.

and really if Flav can come back why not the kid who got burned by him. If Alonso can walk around and claim a fraudulent win as his own, why is that jr. is the one who has to bare the shame of it?
My thoughts exactly, and well put. Great post.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 11:41 (Ref:2801938)   #35
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
My thoughts exactly. Great post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
My thoughts exactly, and well put. Great post.
E.B. you're becoming repetitive...
Old 9 Dec 2010, 12:25 (Ref:2801952)   #36
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
E.B. you're becoming repetitive...
Whoops.... sorry about that. I posted the initial post and got an error message on my computer implying the post failed. The page, which normally would revert to my submitted post in the thread, instead went to the F1 index. So I went into the thread and I am sure it wasnt there. So I rewrote it and hit submit. I thought i had checked the board to see if it was there but maybe ..... Sorry.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2801956)   #37
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I wouldn't worry about it. At least your post was spot on!
Old 9 Dec 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2802038)   #38
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Times report of what Nelsinho says has the ring of truth about it and puts Briatori very much in the spotlight. Most of the people in racing come to it because of a basic desire to race or to experience the speed and technical achievemants at some level, to meet the challange that racing presents. Briatori on the other hand was put into it simply as a job to be done and I have never really thought of him as "racing" man, just an atypical Italian business man and to me he should be kept out of racing and out of driver management.

We will never know if Nelsinho could have made a real career in F1 and I just wish him well in the future. People say that his father is not a pleasant guy, I don't know, never met him, but he could drive a race car
Old 9 Dec 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2802108)   #39
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm still trying to get my head round all this. They went to court in order to prove he wasn't a liar, he was actually a cheat.

That's all right then.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2802163)   #40
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
The Times report of what Nelsinho says has the ring of truth about it and puts Briatori very much in the spotlight. Most of the people in racing come to it because of a basic desire to race or to experience the speed and technical achievemants at some level, to meet the challange that racing presents. Briatori on the other hand was put into it simply as a job to be done and I have never really thought of him as "racing" man, just an atypical Italian business man and to me he should be kept out of racing and out of driver management.

We will never know if Nelsinho could have made a real career in F1 and I just wish him well in the future. People say that his father is not a pleasant guy, I don't know, never met him, but he could drive a race car
Totally agree with that. Nelson Jrn can't do much harm to F1, as much he could try, but Briatore as a boss and a influential man within the business is a real danger to F1.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2802170)   #41
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I'm still trying to get my head round all this. They went to court in order to prove he wasn't a liar, he was actually a cheat.

That's all right then.

My reading of the situation too, and I can't figure it either!
Old 15 Dec 2010, 06:06 (Ref:2804617)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This apology from Renault sounds like a money and face saving excercise.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2804817)   #43
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post

That's all right then.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2804876)   #44
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
My reading of the situation too, and I can't figure it either!
Well, it's quite simple. Piquet was guilty of crashing on purpose and lying about it, as he accepts. But he has now been cleared of lying to blackmail Renault (a more serious offence).
Old 15 Dec 2010, 19:40 (Ref:2804880)   #45
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Briatore was the evil genius here. The way he was still allowed to swan around the paddock last year was not cool.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2804906)   #46
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After reading the interview on ESPN, I've gain some respect for Piquet Jnr. While I would have more respect if he didn't crash at the race and then blew the lid on it afterwards, I would say by giving his side of the story, it redeems himself in way. I also feel sorry for his replacement, Roman Grojsean as well, who struggled for the last few races due to the circumstances giving us and the casual viewer a bad impression of him.

If I was Piquet, I would stay the hell way from F1. For as big and epic as it is, it's not as pretty on the inside. It's like University, not the be all and end of all things.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 22:15 (Ref:2804944)   #47
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

He certainly never will be back in F1.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 23:34 (Ref:2804963)   #48
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
He certainly never will be back in F1.
I don't know....
Maybe I should persuade the management at Proton that there should be a six of Lotus' (Lotuses, Loti?) on the grid and get them to buy into Hispania.

Then employ a young South American driver with a family heritage in F1 and open up dealerships in the emerging economy of Brazil.......
Old 16 Dec 2010, 00:05 (Ref:2804976)   #49
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I don't know....
Maybe I ...
Well, if you can do it... do it !
Old 16 Dec 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2805300)   #50
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Piquet only crashed for his own gain to stay in F1, nobody forced the car into the wall other than the driver himself who made that decision.

He will go down as one of the worst drivers in F1 regardless of this incident.
Closed Thread