Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 2 May 2003, 00:06 (Ref:586873)   #1
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LPG vs Unleaded

Guys my old man is checking out new utes and likes the look of the Falcon dedicated LPG ute.

Does anyone have any advice on pros and cons of a dedicated LPG car. And also how does the fuel economy stack using LPG ? Is it similar numbers.
Old 2 May 2003, 07:57 (Ref:587034)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A colleague gets -10% economy on LPG in his Merc S420 but that's with a low-tech carb based conversion.
Old 2 May 2003, 08:27 (Ref:587041)   #3
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How does the price of a tank of lpg compare with a tank of unleaded in Aus and what's the availability like? You'll burn more gallons per mile but the emmissions are much cleaner.
There aren't many places here which sell the stuff so a dedicated LPG car is not practical in Britain, has to be dual-fuel.
Old 2 May 2003, 09:32 (Ref:587081)   #4
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At 40p a litre in the UK you can't go wrong though!
Old 2 May 2003, 14:33 (Ref:587456)   #5
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True, but you also then can't take a LPG car on the Channel Tunnel trains!
Meanwhile back in Aus...
Old 3 May 2003, 01:48 (Ref:588145)   #6
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Yeah a litre of LPG here in Oz is only about 50-60% of the price of unleaded, so on a per litre basis it's a lot cheaper. But I'm not sure no much a LPG car burns. If it burns twice as much as unleaded then that obviously wipes out any cost saving. So I'm interested in how many MPG or litres per 100kms you burn compared to using unleaded. Does LPG burn a lot more on average in a car ?
Old 3 May 2003, 12:16 (Ref:588411)   #7
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The main thing you should be aware of is that an LPG car will end up costing more to maintain than a petrol vehicle. Lpg also tends to be harder on the engine, with out going into specifics too much, valves tend to burn etc.....
Old 4 May 2003, 22:19 (Ref:589597)   #8
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Thanks bondy.
Old 7 May 2003, 02:35 (Ref:591848)   #9
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I work for Sydney Buses we have natural gas buses and diesel and the gas buses wouldn't pull the skin a rice pudding (I cleaned that up). Some of my work mates come from the Central Coast and drive to Willoughby every day and they say that the gas is cheaper but a drop in power.