Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 8 Dec 2007, 04:45 (Ref:2084119)   #1
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indy Through the ages

I was recently back home in Indy and bought this 5 disk set at the airport. It contains highlights of the Indianapolis 500 from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's - $25.

The footage is very good, even from the 1960 race. It shows the darker side of racing like the 1964 and 1973 500's. The evolution of open wheel cars in the 1970's is very intertesting and also breaking the 150 - 200 mph barriers.

At some point the footage looks more like the Le Mans Hollywood production than a sporting event.
Old 9 Dec 2007, 19:08 (Ref:2085002)   #2
HCForums
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
HCForums should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The race has always been great but the coverage has gotten better and better and made it more fun to watch it on the telly. Thanks to the networks we know about the drivers backgrounds, the stats, what the teams are saying, the predictions by the experts, onboard perspectives, replays.

Like this year. That one could really be made into a movie. So many thrilling chapters. Like the main protagonist TK spinning out in T4. Or the youngster who came so close to winning the year before, going upside down. Then the rain came and thanks to team strategy Dario found himself in the lead.

Some may say the races from yesteryear weren't as spectacular as the recent editions. But I think a lot of the excitement got lost in translation. Also keep in mind that, I think it was, ABC didn't broadcast this race live nor tape delayed for most in the 80's. They made a special highlight package that was kept well in the time frame. I think people would think really different of nowadays races if they didn't have a live leaderboard, or three cameras in every turn and experienced pitreporters patrolling pitlane.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 09:27 (Ref:2085354)   #3
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I was recently back home in Indy and bought this 5 disk set at the airport. It contains highlights of the Indianapolis 500 from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's - $25.
Sounds like a great DVD - what is it called? I'd like to check if a Region 2 version is available for European use.
Quote:
Like this year. That one could really be made into a movie. So many thrilling chapters. Like the main protagonist TK spinning out in T4. Or the youngster who came so close to winning the year before, going upside down. Then the rain came and thanks to team strategy Dario found himself in the lead.
I achieved a lifetimes ambition by attending this years 500, and I am glad to have been to such an exciting, dramatic, historical race. When I told other fans I was going, they all said something along the lines of 'oh you should have gone 10 years ago. The 500 is inferior now. No one in America cares about it'. Well, I found everyone I encountered, from airport staff to taxi drivers incredibly knowledgable and enthusiastic. The race itself was amazing, and perhaps it's profile has slipped in recent years but it was an incredible day and one that I can't wait to repeat.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 10:41 (Ref:2085406)   #4
HCForums
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
HCForums should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk
Sounds like a great DVD - what is it called? I'd like to check if a Region 2 version is available for European use.
It's the Legacy Series boxset.

Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:47 (Ref:2085604)   #5
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCForums
It's the Legacy Series boxset.

Appreciate the info - thank you.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 11:43 (Ref:2086433)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think I have the 90's one , it is very good and if your a fan of the Indy 500 I would recommend it
Old 6 Jan 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2100553)   #7
Jon Lincoln
Rookie

Jon Lincoln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This looks like a great set of films. I've been looking for it on Amazon for a few months as I'd like a copy that works in the UK. Unfortunately I haven't had much luck on that front.

Hopefully, one day...

How long is the complete running time of the set?
Old 6 Jan 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2100566)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ooh yup I think I need that too. I can't stand the IRL but indy before the great divide was mega.

I've got Any DVD on my laptop which means it should be region free anyway