Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Jan 2003, 17:10 (Ref:462882)   #1
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diffusers on Grand-Am DSPs

H16 criticized DSPs for (among other things) lacking diffusers. I replied that there is nothing in the rules precluding diffusers, and predicted that we would see them by the time the cars take the green at Daytona. Now we have photographic evidence for you to evaluate yourself.

Here is the Multimatic Ford's rear diffuser's treatment. Notice the squared-off diffuser wall to the right of the right side exhaust pipe, as well as the nicely detailed treatment of airflow behind the right tire. (Don't overlook the adjustable spoiler at the rear edge of the aft deck, either.)

And here is the front treatment from the Fabcar Toyota. Cooling air is turned upward to generate downforce as well as cooling the engine water. Don't forget, too, that a properly designed radiator outlet can recover more thrust (by heating and ejecting the air) than it creates drag, thereby adding a small but measurable additional amount of thrust.

And this are just the first iterations...

(Photos blatantly ripped off from www.fastdetails.com)
Old 3 Jan 2003, 17:33 (Ref:462894)   #2
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps one day you will realize that perhaps the best way not to make friends on the internet and carry intelligent conversations is not involving yourself in flame wars on your second post and attacking other members.

Using a quote from yourself "we may not take you seriously".
Old 3 Jan 2003, 18:04 (Ref:462913)   #3
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the first year for Diffusers then. I remember one of the sticking points of Grand-Am LMP design was no carbon brakes, no diffusers
Old 3 Jan 2003, 18:27 (Ref:462924)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK. I'm not about to allow the forum to be used for another Dauntless v. H16 epic. The topic seems entirely reasonable to me, whatever the rights and wrongs of the other one - if people have sensible/useful/interesting comment to make (thank you Russfield), so be it. If the thread develops otherwise I won't hesitate to pull it.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 3 Jan 2003 at 18:27.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 18:55 (Ref:462954)   #5
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Frankly the Multimatic's "diffuser" is that in name only. Using that as the archetype, then Grand-Am has allowed rear diffusers in the past. But its function is very limited as the airflow behind the rear wheel is very untidy. It wouldn't be as effective as a LMP type rear diffuser that is feed via the underbody. But lets not make too much of rear diffusers and their effect on aero downforce. Really they only add some 10% additional downforce in optimal situations. Though overall they do improve L/D somewhat.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 19:00 (Ref:462960)   #6
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Although I make mistakes and miss new information (see gearbox), my "intelligent conversation" is based on facts and research, H16, not the thinly disguised sarcasm and outright nonsense you spouted about Dave Klym without bothering to do the most elemetary research. If your comments are based on research or experience, share that with this forum. Otherwise, take your own advice.

FYI, I have never met Dave Klym, and have no commercial relationship with him, whatsoever. But he is one of the most accomplished privateers in America. How many Porsche 962's have you designed and built?

BTW, I am still waiting for your factual refutation of my reply to your post, instead, all we see is more whining about how badly I "flamed" you. Furthermore, I am not here to "make friends". I am here hoping to pick up more tricks to make my RACE CARS go faster.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 19:26 (Ref:462979)   #7
H16
Racer

I don't know why you picked me, but every post you respond to is hurtful and yes, a flame. I appologize for this as I have no idea what he has against me or what I have done.

I have been here for a year and change and never had a problem with anyone. You have been here a few days and your quickly running up quite a charge. Theres something in there somewhere.

When did you get access to the internet, last week? Klym's comments were ambigous at best, and absolute fault at worst without proper clairfiaction.

But what do I know, I mean just because you have work on your race car, that means you know everything about everything and anyone who responds is inferior.

If you could respond to something without personal attacks, perhaps I would think enough of you to respond in kind. As I see it, your a flaming, bitter little troll who thinks he knows everything about anything and is not afraid to let anyone know. Continue to flame away.Yes, I believe that this thread will be deleated.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 19:33 (Ref:462987)   #8
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Aysedasi, since the allowed time limt of 10 minutes for editing posts has expired, please feel free to edit any of my comments (or delete any of my posts) you may deem inappropriate.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 19:39 (Ref:462993)   #9
H16
Racer

Of course, it is my opinion as well. I wish only the integrity of this fine board to be maintained, and while I am torn between defending myself from comments I deem inapproiate and not adding fuel to the fire, the administrators will, as they should, edit as they see fit.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 19:59 (Ref:463012)   #10
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Well, at least we agree on something...
Old 3 Jan 2003, 20:13 (Ref:463018)   #11
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
o.t.: images from fastdetails.com

Just to point out one little thing - you have linked directly to a couple of images on www.fastdetails.com - the owner of that site takes his copyright very seriously. Don't be surprised if these images are gone soon, he will take such images that have been linked to off his server.
No offence to anyone but, to avoid trouble in the future, I suggest not to link to images on www.fastdetails.com at all, just post the url, or to get the owner's permission beforehand.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 20:25 (Ref:463026)   #12
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Good point. Aysedasi, please take cybersdorf's suggestion and change the image link to a url. No violation of Mr Crete's work intended.

Thanks, Stan