Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Aug 2010, 15:34 (Ref:2745264)   #26
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If the BTC cars agreed to get rid of those stupid looking rear wings, they should be allowed to compete in 2011.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 15:45 (Ref:2745271)   #27
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
alan gow has already said no BTC spec cars on his own forum so that is that, dont see him making a u-turn

for the guys running the BTC spec cars unless Techspeed land a wealthy sponsor to go for NGTC spec they are stuffed, would love to see martin Johnson getting a vectra (perhaps dave pinkney will hang up his helmet) but as already said Swindon need to get their finger out and build a engine that lasts like at least half a season like planned, FFS it cant be that hard if other engine builders like Neil Brown and Mountune can do it

there is still plenty of S2000 cars out there but last time I looked they were advertised at stupid money. what I really hope is that the NGTC spec parts are sold at sensible prices so that the smaller teams can have a chance at competing and hopefully the rules regarding contact are adhered to as that is what is shafting the smaller teams
Old 16 Aug 2010, 15:53 (Ref:2745283)   #28
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
If the BTC cars agreed to get rid of those stupid looking rear wings, they should be allowed to compete in 2011.
They have very little if any aero effect though.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2745401)   #29
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some thoughts having just caught up with this thread...
Quote:
Have Swindon Racing Engines solved the issues they were having with the NGTC unit blowing up every time it hit the track?
Let's not get too dramatic with this - I know they've had more than their share of problems, but how many have actually gone bang, and how many of the issues have been teething troubles? (Genuine question btw, if anyone has any numbers). Surely that's the whole point of having them available for a development year, to iron out the problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Dos anyone know how Thorney have got on building their Insignia? I rememer them saying it was to be built this year, run in Britcar possibly, ahead of next season. Is that still the plan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Seem to recall they abandoned the idea a few months back.
Indeed, they confirmed as much either here or on the official forum. Hinted that they might have another possibility in the pipeline though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
- Silverline Chevrolet obviously have no reason to go NGTC.
- A Team Dynamics developed Honda (Accord?) would make sense from a marketing point of view as the Type-R Civic is being killed off but Honda are barely putting any money in now. I doubt they would be willing to stump up the development costs.
- I doubt Arena would want to build another car whilst there is much mileage in the Focus, especially once they fit a legal NGTC-spec engine.
- Triple Eight need a manufacturer or a big sponsor
- WSR have the capability but like everyone else need a backer.
- I don't think Motorbase are the sort of team who would want to get into building/developing their own car from scratch, and again there's still plenty of mileage in the BMWs

Unless there's an influx from other series I'm running out of front running teams.
- the only thing I would add is that Matt Neal has already said that Dynamics plan to run the Civic for at least one more year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
alan gow has already said no BTC spec cars on his own forum so that is that, dont see him making a u-turn
I'm not so certain that's set in stone just yet - the way he phrased his answer recently when he was asked on his forums was along the lines of "the intention remains...." - I wouldn't call that ruling out the possibility.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 06:51 (Ref:2747462)   #30
Thorney
Racer

Thorney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see us being in next season unless something dramatic happens, there are simply too many questions about regs and performance for js to commit at this stage, we said we wanted to but it needed at least some support from Vauxhall but the harsh financial environment we are in meant that we couldn't get it. We have a strong backer and we have concentrated on our M3 GT3 project this season which is nearing completion in time for the Britcar24hr in October. I'd still like to do BTCC, sponsors are happy but it needs to be done without an open chequebook which at this stage I think is hard to see.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 19:05 (Ref:2748064)   #31
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is still much work to do for the BTCC to remain viable for fans and teams, take out the gentleman racers and we would be looking at a field of 15 odd cars this year.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 08:55 (Ref:2748249)   #32
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
There is still much work to do for the BTCC to remain viable for fans and teams, take out the gentleman racers and we would be looking at a field of 15 odd cars this year.
If the gentleman racer was ejected, I'd imagine there'd be few professionals and even fewer teams interested in participating in championship with 10-15 cars. The economic situation out there is dire at the moment and the BTCC is not immune. It needs the gentleman racer now more than ever and I wouldn't be surprised to see allowances and U-turns in order to retain them next year.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 14:44 (Ref:2748323)   #33
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
I don't see why the presence of the 'gentleman racers' is an issue, so long as there's a reasonable mix between the pros at the front and the 'gentleman amateurs' in midfield and back. Apart from a very short period of a few years during Supertouring when the series became largely dominated by professional factory teams (and we know now how unsustainable that was), they've always been there.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 15:33 (Ref:2748348)   #34
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
Bonanza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
I don't see why the presence of the 'gentleman racers' is an issue, so long as there's a reasonable mix between the pros at the front and the 'gentleman amateurs' in midfield and back. Apart from a very short period of a few years during Supertouring when the series became largely dominated by professional factory teams (and we know now how unsustainable that was), they've always been there.
and the gentlemen drivers are an integral part of the BTCC for me, to see guys like Martin Johnson score a point or two on the rare occasion is heartening. I mean a british series without the likeable little guy just isn't british is it
Old 24 Aug 2010, 12:25 (Ref:2749436)   #35
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gentlemens are very important for any series. Look at Romanov in the Wtcc, at the Superstars Series and so on...
But they're not enough. The BTCC has lost a lot with Giovanardi and Turkington going away, and I don't think it would be sustainable if, say, Plato and Neal went away. If I want to see an all-gentlemen field, I can go anywhere in Europe, find a track and just watch a race.
The BTCC has a quality field, and that is why it's in the dreams even of drivers abroad. Like Bonanza said, though, it's great to see a gentleman score points and so on. On the other hand, one wouldn't want a championship in which Pinkney and John George fight for wins and title...
Old 24 Aug 2010, 14:12 (Ref:2749479)   #36
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'd love to see a BTCC field of 30 cars.

What are the chances? At the moment I think the entry at Silverstone was 19-20 cars, which I think is about 5 cars short of being comfortable.

Anything that can get more teams involved who can compete at a reasonable level of competitiveness would be great.

A field of 25ish would be great, a field of 30 tourers would be amazing.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 15:36 (Ref:2749511)   #37
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

What are the chances? At the moment I think the entry at Silverstone was 19-20 cars, which I think is about 5 cars short of being comfortable.

Anything that can get more teams involved who can compete at a reasonable level of competitiveness would be great.

I'll second that. More is always good in terms of grid numbers.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 15:45 (Ref:2749518)   #38
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helterskelter View Post
Gentlemens are very important for any series. Look at Romanov in the Wtcc, at the Superstars Series and so on...
But they're not enough. The BTCC has lost a lot with Giovanardi and Turkington going away, and I don't think it would be sustainable if, say, Plato and Neal went away. If I want to see an all-gentlemen field, I can go anywhere in Europe, find a track and just watch a race.
The BTCC has a quality field, and that is why it's in the dreams even of drivers abroad. Like Bonanza said, though, it's great to see a gentleman score points and so on. On the other hand, one wouldn't want a championship in which Pinkney and John George fight for wins and title...
I certainly agree with that. I just hope that they return for 2011, though I have a feeling I'm wishing for something that probably won't happen.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2749660)   #39
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
I certainly agree with that. I just hope that they return for 2011, though I have a feeling I'm wishing for something that probably won't happen.
I hope Colin's performances in the Wtcc earned him enough visibility for next year. I wouldn't rule out him being back in the Btcc next year, though. Nevertheless, I work on the Wtcc and (please let me be selfish) I would love to see him do a complete season!
As for Fabrizio, who knows? He's certainly comfortable with N-Technology and Porsche, so it's unlikely, but... In this sport, only time can tell...
Old 26 Aug 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2750706)   #40
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Entry at Silverstone was 22 cars, joint season record.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 22:36 (Ref:2750833)   #41
Mike Sheraton
Racer

United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Mike Sheraton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
entry for knockhill will be a little bit less with the forsters not there
Old 28 Aug 2010, 17:49 (Ref:2751480)   #42
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sheraton View Post
entry for knockhill will be a little bit less with the forsters not there
And that has what to do with the 2011 entry list?
Old 29 Aug 2010, 13:58 (Ref:2751760)   #43
Mike Sheraton
Racer

United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Mike Sheraton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
calm down, I was just stating that....I'm not negative at all about the 2010 btcc, nor 2011 or even 2020, I think the BTCC is and always will be in good strength!
Old 2 Sep 2010, 03:51 (Ref:2753477)   #44
Thorney
Racer

Thorney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why the difference in treatment between 'gentlemen' drivers and 'pros' as kn my experience there is none. Both pay for their drives (I'm excluding factory teams here) only one pays via personal sponsorship and one by his own pocket , which essentially are the same thing.

So what if Pinkney et al are fighting for a win, if they are then it means they are quicker than the next guy, whether he's 21 year old or a 41 year old it should be down to the car/driver?
Old 2 Sep 2010, 09:25 (Ref:2753560)   #45
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree Thorney, if Pinkney and George were fighting for the championship then it would just mean they are the best drivers in the series. At the moment Plato, Neal etc are the best drivers in the series, but I'm sure there are better people out there. You can only beat who you are up against, and if the feild was made of gentlemen drivers we wouldn't think anything of it. And they're generally the nicest guys in the pit.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 13:55 (Ref:2753636)   #46
pinkd56
Racer

England
Luton
pinkd56 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And it's often the guys at the back that bring a lot of variety into the field, I for one would love to see Jason Hughes back in his MG, or Erkut in his Astra Sport Hatch.

A few questions:
Would a BTC-T car be allowed to run with a NGTC engine next year?
And would it be easy to convert a BTC-T car into a NGTC/S2000 car?
Old 2 Sep 2010, 14:20 (Ref:2753643)   #47
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkd56 View Post
And would it be easy to convert a BTC-T car into a NGTC/S2000 car?
Probably not for NGTC and for S2000, it's unfeasable. There's simply too much that needs done. Better off starting from scratch.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 15:03 (Ref:2753663)   #48
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTC-T spec will no longer be eligible from 2011, although it's possible this may change Alan Gow has indicated it's unlikely to.

I did read somewhere that converting a S2000 car to NGTC should theoretically not be too difficult, can't remember where I saw it though...
Old 2 Sep 2010, 18:34 (Ref:2753764)   #49
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
BTC-T spec will no longer be eligible from 2011, although it's possible this may change Alan Gow has indicated it's unlikely to.

I did read somewhere that converting a S2000 car to NGTC should theoretically not be too difficult, can't remember where I saw it though...
Would be impossible...they can however run NGTC engines in S2000 cars (as already done by Special Tuning UK, Pirtek Racing & Pinkney Motorsport) - that's the only other 'budget' route available at the moment really.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 23:35 (Ref:2753875)   #50
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkd56 View Post
I for one would love to see Jason Hughes back in his MG
I agree totally on that point. I live right by the MG factory so I always supported they're team. And Jason Hughes was another nice guy in the paddock. The ZS always looked a good car on the track as well. I'm hoping that when the chinese restart production of MG's they'll start a touring car program in black and green. Not going to hold my breath though.