Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Feb 2012, 06:18 (Ref:3025113)   #26
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
so if my ol'mate Papa Smurf stays loyal to Holden what fulltime drive would be avalible? or does it look like enduro's only?
I would guess these cars will be on 1 year contracts or have contracts ending at the end of 2012 (That he might have a chance of going into):

Of course, most of those probably won't be available and/or competitive in a CoTF world.... but there is a fair few Holdens out there that might be available.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 08:00 (Ref:3025135)   #27
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Audi has considered the viewiers of v8 supercars to be an acceptable market in the recent past.

possibly they will be back next year in 2013. or maybe there owners might be with another brand
Evidently, they haven't.

They've committed (likely via dealer finance only - clarification needed) a safety car in the past, perhaps a parade demonstration - that's it.
It's hardly a sign of any further commitment, regardless of however much either of us might like it to be so.

For what ever reason (likely those mentioned previously) they've opted against competing within V8SC.
Consciously opting against competition, in favour of fielding a safety car is a pretty direct statement, as far as interest is concerned.

I must have missed the meeting where safety cars were deemed classified, field contenders.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 13 Feb 2012 at 08:06.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 08:17 (Ref:3025138)   #28
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
evidently they have, the picture is there

if you have some fact to suggest otherwise provide it, because nothing you just said proves otherwise

you have tried to get tricky with semantics, but you are found wanting

at any point the poorly selling falcon sold more cars in australia than all of audi vehicles combined., they would probably want to actually sell more cars here if they were to go into v8's

Last edited by peckstar; 13 Feb 2012 at 08:23.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 08:49 (Ref:3025142)   #29
snappa
Racer

snappa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post

I must have missed the meeting where safety cars were deemed classified, field contenders.
Cant remember which ones but I seem to remember there being a few races where they turned more laps than required to be classified
Old 13 Feb 2012, 13:27 (Ref:3025244)   #30
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
There are 5 constructor teams....

Where will the other teams go for their chassis?
So many interesting questions....

However it does seem rather strange that only certain teams are permitted to build cars?

Why would that be the case? Sounds very anti-competative to me!

Surely if DJR, GRM or BJR have the skills and internal resources to do this, then they should be allowed to make their own? Especially as they are all suppose to be building identical chassis, not a secret sauce!

Perhaps this is just a money making exercise designed to line the pockets of the most wealthy in paddock???

Very odd...
Old 13 Feb 2012, 13:46 (Ref:3025254)   #31
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure there would be some kinda certification and bull**** you could go through if you wanted to become a builder, eg if some other manufacture came in guns blazing wanting to go it alone..
Old 14 Feb 2012, 21:45 (Ref:3025912)   #32
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
just thinking out loud.

If i was a new brand to the sport that was going to invest significant money in a team, I would probably want some top level drivers in my team.

Rick has shown that he is one of the better drivers out there. Todd not so much in recent times, Murph, is ok, been a while since he finished top ten in the championship, but has sugggested he might want to stick with Holden.

So possibly the team are looking for 2 new drivers for 2013. who is available?

Is there a top level driver who is looking for a challenge? Say being the first driver to win the champion with 3 different brands, who might be out of contract at the end of 2012?
Old 14 Feb 2012, 23:21 (Ref:3025943)   #33
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
just thinking out loud.

If i was a new brand to the sport that was going to invest significant money in a team, I would probably want some top level drivers in my team.

Rick has shown that he is one of the better drivers out there. Todd not so much in recent times, Murph, is ok, been a while since he finished top ten in the championship, but has sugggested he might want to stick with Holden.

So possibly the team are looking for 2 new drivers for 2013. who is available?

Is there a top level driver who is looking for a challenge? Say being the first driver to win the champion with 3 different brands, who might be out of contract at the end of 2012?
Surely Webbo will be out of F1 by next season, and he's racing with a Renault/Nissan group engine at the back, AND would go to a team supposedly sponsored by Red Bull. If I'm thinking this then I bet Nissan's PR people are doing the same Small issue of him living in the wrong country though.
Old 14 Feb 2012, 23:48 (Ref:3025947)   #34
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Surely Webbo will be out of F1 by next season.
I'll run naked down my street the day Mark announces he'll drive V8SC full time. Never gonna happen.
Old 15 Feb 2012, 00:30 (Ref:3025963)   #35
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Gibson thinks Todd Kelly won't be driving in 2013:

Quote:
Gibson also sees Todd Kelly’s full-time driving career as close to being finished.

“If Todd’s going to be involved in the team side of things, his driving career is over,” says Gibson.

“He can’t be involved. If he’s a driver, he’s a driver. If he’s involved heavily in the business side, maybe this year might be his last (as a full-time driver).”
V8SC Story
Old 15 Feb 2012, 00:39 (Ref:3025969)   #36
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Triple Eight closes on new Holden deal

Quote:
The team’s title sponsorship deal with Vodafone and its driving contracts with Jamie Whincup and Craig Lowndes are also up for renewal at the end of 2012.
Old 15 Feb 2012, 22:24 (Ref:3026358)   #37
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1 thing that has not been reposted is this from last year
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/515...launch-in-2012
Quote:
Nissan has confirmed that it will bring Infiniti, the Japanese carmaker's luxury division, to the Australian market in the third quarter of 2012
will it be infiniti ?
Old 16 Feb 2012, 02:22 (Ref:3026426)   #38
b195
Rookie

b195 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
1 thing that has not been reposted is this from last year
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/515...launch-in-2012

will it be infiniti ?
I would hope not, from the point of view of confusing the general public and diluting the Infiniti brand in Australia. If they wanted to race an Infiniti they should have entered as Infiniti - there was no reason they could not have done so (apart from losing the historic link, from when they used to run turbo straight-fours and sixes...)

If they were to race an Infiniti as a Nissan, the direct link between Nissan and Infiniti would become obvious to the general public, reducing the 'premiumness' of the Infiniti brand (which would be a really poor move as they 'return' to the Australian market, though it's more like a beginning, with only the Q45 being sold here in very limited numbers about 20 years ago) and also confusing the public as to why they can't buy the 'Nissan' in a Nissan showroom. (this equally applies to many other linked brands eg Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura etc. especially when there are in different parts of the market - imagine the fun you could have with SEAT/Skoda/VW/Audi/Porsche/Lamborghini/Bugatti...)

So if they were to do so, it would be a really dumb move from Nissan IMO.

Last edited by b195; 16 Feb 2012 at 02:35.
Old 16 Feb 2012, 02:36 (Ref:3026428)   #39
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
Mr Gibson thinks Todd Kelly won't be driving in 2013:
Maybe Steven Johnson should also be looking at his future as well....
Old 16 Feb 2012, 02:50 (Ref:3026431)   #40
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
agreed kittle, if he doesnt run near the front this year, then maybe some consideration to his future needs to be given

38 at the end of this season, Whcih is usally past the ebst before date (outside of enduros)
Old 16 Feb 2012, 03:57 (Ref:3026438)   #41
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b195 View Post
I would hope not, from the point of view of confusing the general public and diluting the Infiniti brand in Australia. If they wanted to race an Infiniti they should have entered as Infiniti - there was no reason they could not have done so (apart from losing the historic link, from when they used to run turbo straight-fours and sixes...)

If they were to race an Infiniti as a Nissan, the direct link between Nissan and Infiniti would become obvious to the general public, reducing the 'premiumness' of the Infiniti brand (which would be a really poor move as they 'return' to the Australian market, though it's more like a beginning, with only the Q45 being sold here in very limited numbers about 20 years ago) and also confusing the public as to why they can't buy the 'Nissan' in a Nissan showroom. (this equally applies to many other linked brands eg Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura etc. especially when there are in different parts of the market - imagine the fun you could have with SEAT/Skoda/VW/Audi/Porsche/Lamborghini/Bugatti...)

So if they were to do so, it would be a really dumb move from Nissan IMO.
I think people have the blinders from 20 years ago on. The world has moved on. From what I understand, from Nissan's perspective this isn't just about Australia anymore, but it's looking internationally at all the other places V8SC races outside of Australia and the marketing and promotional potential this is going to bring for the money invested.
Old 16 Feb 2012, 04:12 (Ref:3026441)   #42
b195
Rookie

b195 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I think people have the blinders from 20 years ago on. The world has moved on. From what I understand, from Nissan's perspective this isn't just about Australia anymore, but it's looking internationally at all the other places V8SC races outside of Australia and the marketing and promotional potential this is going to bring for the money invested.
I don't really disagree with what you're saying.

OTOH, they said at the press conference that the V8 Supercar entry is funded by Nissan Australia, not head office. This could be purely a question of semantics, although I'm not sure why you would say it was funded locally if it wasn't (you could argue it shows that Nissan must be serious if they are willing to take a potentially big risk with their local budget, OTOH, if you have Nissan globally backing you that could also be seen to be just as 'big' if not moreso). It gets a little more confusing considering the various references to NISMO (which suggests it may be more than just a locally-funded effort).

Also, as I said, if they are going to race an Infiniti, that is the brand that should have entered the sport, not Nissan. I have no problem with them racing an Infiniti vehicle, but it makes as much sense as Holden entering an Insignia or CTS...

None of this stops Nissan head office giving all the money to race an Infiniti in the series next year, I just don't see what they would gain by not saying so (and by not being up front about it, it's not the best way to start a new venture with a number of mistruths/lies)

Last edited by b195; 16 Feb 2012 at 04:20.
Old 16 Feb 2012, 07:49 (Ref:3026477)   #43
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fresh from a gloating session about how they apparently knew before everyone that Kelly Racing was migrating to Nissan... AA buried another 'scoop' on P5 of today's edition...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA1478 15-21 February 2012 P5
HYUNDAI LINKED TO SBR
by Alex Inwood

SPECULATION IS mounting that Hyundai could be the next manufacturer to join V8Supercars. Well-placed sources inside V8 Supercars have linked the Korean giant to Stone Brothers Racing.

AA understands the Korean manufacturer is considering a joint venture with the three-time title-winning squad in 2013, with an announcement expected in November.

But despite inside sources maintaining the deal is on the cards, both Hyundai and Stone Brothers Racing have firmly denied they'll join forces in 2013.

"We're not looking at it at all," said Hyundai spokesperson Ben Hershman.

"We've got no interest in V8 Supercars. The rumours are unfounded and we're not going to be involved in V8 supercars in any form, nor do we have any plans to join the series in the future"

SBR boss Ross Stone also denied the possible partnership.

"No, absolutely not, " he told Auto Action. "We're not looking to take on a new manufacturer.

"At the moment our Ford agreement is the longest unbroken deal in V8 racing, so our focus is to make sure we start this season strong and then I'll talk to Ford about our future because our contract runs out at the end of this year. So I'd like to think we'll stay on with them"
So... is it on... or is it off? That the story didnt come from Mr Fogarty suggests it may not be on..

Lets not forget that Hyundai Australia is an importer... and like Nissan, would likely need the help and support of the 'mother ship' to enable a transaction of this nature..

I reckon a car maker with the 'bunch of fives' ($5m to tool up & $5m a year towards the operating budget..) would be silly to go past these guys... as might Ford be if they choose to either not continue, or to give the racing budget yet another haircut!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Feb 2012, 08:32 (Ref:3026495)   #44
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
... as might Ford be if they choose to either not continue, or to give the racing budget yet another haircut!
Here's an idea for Ford. Shut down that basketcase/money pit called FPR!

Sell the assets off, sell the licences and ship Will and Frosty off DJR.
Give SBR a bigger slice of the pie and make DJR's Ford $$$'s conditional of them purchasing SBR cars and tech support (money better off going to a Ford team than your opposition). Both teams have proven to be better bang for buck over the years.

That'll help Ford's budget allot!

On another note.

So Kelly's off to Nissan
GRM rumoured to be courting Chrysler.
SBR & Hyundai???
DJR & BMW??? (before a few posters here jump on me for dare mentioning a German marque in V8SC, Blame Speedcafe) http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/02/16/...d-be-difficul/
Yet 888 would rather re-sign with Holden over being numero uno with another make?
Old 16 Feb 2012, 10:35 (Ref:3026539)   #45
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
of course hyundai will deny it, becasue its the sister company thats joining SBR.

KIA and SBR together in 2013

also has SBR had a longer link to Ford that HRT have had to Holden?
Old 16 Feb 2012, 10:36 (Ref:3026541)   #46
snappa
Racer

snappa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Yet 888 would rather re-sign with Holden over being numero uno with another make?
maybe they priced themselves out of the market and are now going to their fallback position
Old 16 Feb 2012, 11:14 (Ref:3026561)   #47
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappa View Post
maybe they priced themselves out of the market and are now going to their fallback position
Or it could be like the FG ride car announcement?

Personally i reckon 888 hold the cards over Holden this time around. Might take more than 3 mil to keep them.

Maybe the lure of a name change from Team Vodafone to HR...
Old 16 Feb 2012, 11:19 (Ref:3026563)   #48
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
I think you need to read between the lines a bit.... Roland is saying he's not locked into Holden yet and could be talked into going elsewhere for the right price.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 04:32 (Ref:3026907)   #49
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
I think you need to read between the lines a bit.... Roland is saying he's not locked into Holden yet and could be talked into going elsewhere for the right price.
Maybe Roland can aim to shift through all of the 5 nominated manufactures for the series. After Holden, that would be 2 down, 3 to go
Old 17 Feb 2012, 07:55 (Ref:3026949)   #50
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
also has SBR had a longer link to Ford that HRT have had to Holden?
Well HRT did reset when first Mr Skaife took 'ownership' then Mr Walkinshaw 'bought' back the farm... so in terms of length of contract with the same entity, they are probably right..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House