Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 1 Sep 2004, 11:52 (Ref:1083715)   #1
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
jonny reid wins....

former f4000 driver jonny reid won the euro f3000 race at donington - go jonny.... i think scotty dixon was the last f4000/holden driver who won anything of any note lately overseas
Old 1 Sep 2004, 20:51 (Ref:1084160)   #2
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The wrong guy won, of course

Even the podium ceremony agreed with me!
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 1 Sep 2004, 21:07 (Ref:1084182)   #3
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The right guy won. Reid was the fastest driver to keep it on the circuit.

Alex may have been quick but you have to cross the finish line to win...

It was a driver error at the end of the day but was a great drive up to that point
Old 1 Sep 2004, 21:29 (Ref:1084200)   #4
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Tricky to say if that was driver error. I'll reserve judgement until I see the TV pics, but I'm told by Alex and others that the guy in front of Alex slowed so much coming out of Old Hairpin that Alex had to swerve to avoid arse-ending him, which is what put him on the grass.

Not so much swerves, as jinxx, you might say
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 1 Sep 2004, 22:36 (Ref:1084242)   #5
Redracer77
Veteran

Not having a go Jinxxy. I am a mate of your mate foreversideways.

I just tuned into the race to see how he went and he was mega till he went off. He went off at the kink up the hill at Swantz curve or how ever you spell it!!! Tried to go round the outside and backed off when he realised he had no road left and the rest is history.

I was as gutted as you (well maybe not!! You fathers do get attached!!) He was driving like he stole it!!

I hope he gets out for the next round. Just get ray to sell the 911 and not bother with FPA and that should cover it!!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 02:11 (Ref:1084354)   #6
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
I know who you are, Redracer! foreversideways isn't my mate, of course, I just humour him, as we all do, in the vain hope of chiselling a beer out of him one day! Let me know if you ever manage it

And you're entitled to have a go, if you think it's merited, and if Alex made a mistake, he'd be the first to admit it, and I'd say my piece on it too, as I have done on here oftentimes.

But I don't think he TRIED to go round the outside there - I think he was so close to the gearbox of the guy in front, and that guy exited so unexpectedly slowly that it took Alex by surprise, and he had to swerve suddenly to the outside.

I was watching trackside and on the local TV, and his driving wasn't wild or "red mist" at all. Watch his calculated move on Lauda at Redgate to gain 6th place, if they showed it. I was right in front of it, and it was calculated and clinical.

As I say, I'll wait to see it on MotorsTV, as I believe the cameras caught the incident, but the info I'm getting is that he SWERVED out of the way, which is why he touched the grass (and even momentarily regained the track) but it wasn't a planned move.

My own suspicion, based primarily on what Alex has said (and in fairness, a driver's recollections on the minutiae are often slightly off target, but he's normally pretty accurate, and certainly honest) is that he was under Rocha's gearbox, that Rocha was VERY slow exiting and accelerating, and Alex swerved out. That wasn't an option.

But in that fraction of a second, he could have lifted, or tried to hold the line he was forced onto. He didn't back off, and he didn't get away with not doing so.

Hindsight is a great thing - tell Schumacher he should have lifted when he whacked into Coulthard in the rain. In that instance, if Schumacher had lifted, he wouldn't have clouted DC and it wouldn't have been a DNF for him. But racing drivers don't do that whenever they have to swerve.

I'm thinking (or Alex is wondering, more to the point) that if he'd lifted after he had to swerve, then he would have avoided the grass. But then again, he wouldn't be the driver he is if he thought like that.

That's my opinion, based on what Alex said/recollected. I'd be reasonably confident it's right - it makes sense after the rest of his drive to that point. But, que sera sera. It's done now, whatever. He'll have gone over and over those few seconds a hundred times, I'm sure, wondering if he should have done anything different, whether he should be more of a lifter in future.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 10:41 (Ref:1084611)   #7
105octane
Veteran

105octane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would of been a different story had the drive shaft not failed.
Alex would of walked it. When is this guys luck going to change,he deserves more than this.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 10:48 (Ref:1084624)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'd merge all these topics about the same thing, but i'm not entirely convinced it'll make any sense whatsoever.

as you were.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 11:30 (Ref:1084672)   #9
JJ Jet Plane
Racer

JJ Jet Plane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can anyone say Alex would have walked it? He could so easily have made a worse start than Reid, then run off the road at Schwantz while trying to overtake him.

Saying all that is unfair on Reid, who did the best job of keeping it on the track and going faster than anyone else who kept it on the track. Lloyd COULD have won it without the driveshaft problem and he was brilliant at Donington, and yeah he was unlucky with the driveshaft, but give credit to Reid too.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 12:48 (Ref:1084763)   #10
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
I think everyone's given credit to Jonny Reid - he drove a great race, first win (first podium, I think) and was quick. He thoroughly deserved the congratulations he got, which included from me! So did JVA - they provided the car that could perform like that
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:45 (Ref:1085312)   #11
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jonny did a great job, no question, everything else is just speculation (although i think Alex would have won had he taken his place on the grid). Alex and Jonny are both excellent drivers and tomorrow is another day. Mr Jinxx my walet is now sealed with superglue !!. Red (and without wishing to be to critical)you have been known to suffer from the Mansell red mist from time to time yourself.Look forward to seeing you at Oulton. Were out next Friday at Silverstone having a little run round pre Walter Hayes.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 22:58 (Ref:1085388)   #12
Redracer77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by foreversideways
Red (and without wishing to be to critical)you have been known to suffer from the Mansell red mist from time to time yourself.Look forward to seeing you at Oulton. Were out next Friday at Silverstone having a little run round pre Walter Hayes.
Red mist??? I have red mist every corner i drive!! I have that much Red mist that god gave me red hair!!!!

Jinxxy I wasn't having a go i was just saying what I saw. Alex was night and day faster than any other driver by a country mile.

Anyway Ray I spin the least in our championship!! Just my red hair makes me stand out more than the rest!!!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 23:08 (Ref:1085395)   #13
Redracer77
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Red (and without wishing to be to critical)you have been known to suffer from the Mansell red mist from time to time yourself.Look forward to seeing you at Oulton. Were out next Friday at Silverstone having a little run round pre Walter Hayes. [/B]
For the record big bonner (ray - you like it when I say that!!!) I have only crashed a ff1600 once - at the formula ford festival when the car in front lost it on radiator fluid and tagged me so there!!!

I am an angel!!
Old 3 Sep 2004, 16:43 (Ref:1086089)   #14
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crashing not good, is bad for driver, car and bank balance. Trying to get to end of this season in one piece and collect those signatures.