Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 24 Oct 2017, 19:18 (Ref:3776224)   #3201
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>That's what they want you to think Max. Shows that smart motorways "work".

I've got a couple of spare rolls of tin foil if you need some head gear, Grant.

Some years back the by-pass around Batheaston was opened - previously a notable blackspot on the way into the fair city of Bath itself. My friend who lived locally said "it's stupid, there's no-one on the bypass what a waste of money!" Yet he was the first to notice there were no queues in the village.

Controlled traffic at a constant speed certainly seems to clear quicker than the usual hectic chaos.

I'll crawl back under my stone now. See you soon :-)
Any of you who have been to Croix-en-Ternois will no doubt be familiar with the nearby town of St Pol. Until recently the main road from Dunkerque etc. to Amiens ran straight through the middle of town & being a busy street that included a long, steep hill, it was permanently clogged up with trucks.

Recently they have built a by-pass, banning through-traffic HGV's from the town, consequently it is much quieter. However, I have now driven the by-pass three or four times & hardly seen a soul - where do they all go?
Old 24 Oct 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3776241)   #3202
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>That's what they want you to think Max. Shows that smart motorways "work".

I've got a couple of spare rolls of tin foil if you need some head gear, Grant.

Some years back the by-pass around Batheaston was opened - previously a notable blackspot on the way into the fair city of Bath itself. My friend who lived locally said "it's stupid, there's no-one on the bypass what a waste of money!" Yet he was the first to notice there were no queues in the village.

Controlled traffic at a constant speed certainly seems to clear quicker than the usual hectic chaos.

I'll crawl back under my stone now. See you soon :-)
The original "smart" motorway - M42 Birmingham past the NEC - very often has limits applied when there seems to be no volume of traffic to justify them.

At other times by the time you hit the 60 sign you are already down to 40 and expecting to stop by the time you see the first 40 sign.

There are sections of the M1 near me where there seem to be no refuges at all.

At M1 J24 the new development seems to be using the J24 roundabout embankment to remove some earth and create a refuge. After that there seem to be few options for them between J24A and J25.

The thing is that at J24 anyone in the refuge area will have just passed an exit ramp anyway. Presumably there are regulation about how many refuge areas per mile and that one will tick a box somewhere.

They made sure there were plenty on the M42 even before they built the revised version. There are also a LOT of junctions as you know. M1 not so much - which must surely be partly why plod was unimpressed with the lady who recently ran out of fuel between J26 and J25 just past the services. Nowhere to go to get off the active lanes.

For most of the busy times that would not matter much at the moment. It's stationary for miles anyway as they build the next section.

The M6 development that Richard mentioned (currently under development) is something I have travelled a few times this year from Stoke up to where it ends. It was not a great experience - it's all very tight and narrow and traffic is nose to tail. I can't imagine that it will make a significant difference to the utility of that stretch or the efficiency of journey times.

Roll on the road network of entirely autonomous vehicles. None of our opinions will matter then - as they hardly do now.

PS. I have plenty of tin foil thanks but happy to have some more. Only the extra wide and extra strong stuff though please. I'll send you the address of the safe house that we can use as the secure transit point.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 22:35 (Ref:3776266)   #3203
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Just back from another superb Spa weekend, shared a C1 in the Citroen 24 hours. Very variable conditions i.e. plenty of dry - damp - rain, 5 drivers who'd never met before and a motley pitcrew of just 4 friends and wives.
Reeled back our expectations after losing an hour and a quarter for a complete engine & box change - but we finished ahead of our friends and rivals who had a BTCC driver in their team. (We beat them in the workshop as their engine change took 2 hours plus)
Some of the best racing ever, great camaraderie, after 297 laps we ended up 29th from 42 in the class.
Sounds great, David. Our C1 build stalled due to various work commitments but we have paid the deposit for the Rockingham 24 hours in May next year so better get on with it.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 22:41 (Ref:3776267)   #3204
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post

I was a bit shocked at how even Norfolk is now so overcrowded - no room to park in Blakeney on an October Sunday...
Too much London money. You obviously don't understand the rules, you are not allowed to park in Blakeney or Burnham Market these days unless you are in a new Range Rover (or the wife's Evoque) or a Bentley.

Even Docking is an expensive place now, and you couldn't give houses away there when I was growing up in Kings Lynn in the early 80s.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 05:14 (Ref:3776306)   #3205
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Too much London money. You obviously don't understand the rules, you are not allowed to park in Blakeney or Burnham Market these days unless you are in a new Range Rover (or the wife's Evoque) or a Bentley.

Even Docking is an expensive place now, and you couldn't give houses away there when I was growing up in Kings Lynn in the early 80s.
Blakeney and that area is another 'Chelsea by the Sea'....... Bit like Aldeburgh.

Old 25 Oct 2017, 05:17 (Ref:3776307)   #3206
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
However, I have now driven the by-pass three or four times & hardly seen a soul - where do they all go?
Alors ça c'est très simple, Jean talking about north of France the answer is: they are in the next bistro! if you can't find them it means they are too much done to walk to the bistro
Old 25 Oct 2017, 06:35 (Ref:3776312)   #3207
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Alors ça c'est très simple, Jean talking about north of France the answer is: they are in the next bistro! if you can't find them it means they are too much done to walk to the bistro
We had 30 Lotus's outside my 'local' on Saturday morning, before they headed off to St Valery for lunch. However, they liked our place so much they came back at the end of the day!
Old 25 Oct 2017, 06:39 (Ref:3776314)   #3208
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Any of you who have been to Croix-en-Ternois will no doubt be familiar with the nearby town of St Pol. Until recently the main road from Dunkerque etc. to Amiens ran straight through the middle of town & being a busy street that included a long, steep hill, it was permanently clogged up with trucks.

Recently they have built a by-pass, banning through-traffic HGV's from the town, consequently it is much quieter. However, I have now driven the by-pass three or four times & hardly seen a soul - where do they all go?
Hmmmm,they could have had the road built about twenty years ago,would have saved me a fair bit of time in the past.😂
Old 25 Oct 2017, 06:42 (Ref:3776315)   #3209
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:

I ended up parked next to a 1940's Plymouth purporting to be a US Army staff car, so I may have arrived in a different era!
Old 25 Oct 2017, 06:45 (Ref:3776316)   #3210
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Hmmmm,they could have had the road built about twenty years ago,would have saved me a fair bit of time in the past.��
Terence, thought of you as I passed through your old stamping ground last week (in a queue, naturally...). I even heard Queen Adelaide level-crossing mentioned in the news!
Old 25 Oct 2017, 06:51 (Ref:3776317)   #3211
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
It's nice to ne missed, shows how popular I am. I will endeavour to keep all you splendid chaps entertained throughout the winter months, with a steady stream of abuse, derogatory remarks, and jolly banter.

All together now "For he's a jolly good ....."
Phew, that's better news. It's nowhere near as much fun banging your own head against a brick wall...
Old 25 Oct 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3776341)   #3212
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Last day on the beech . BTW we have missed Mikes birthday . I think it's his last of the 60's. So happy Birthday Mike see you later
Old 25 Oct 2017, 12:29 (Ref:3776366)   #3213
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Blakeney and that area is another 'Chelsea by the Sea'....... Bit like Aldeburgh.

Indeed. Pity. I blame Stephen Fry.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 12:39 (Ref:3776368)   #3214
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Indeed. Pity. I blame Stephen Fry.

Ah, Stephen Fry - the man who managed to put Swaffham on the coast!!

I think the 'Chelsea on Sea' bit had something to do with the arrival of Amanda Holden & friends, not to mention Camilla's shopping trips.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 12:40 (Ref:3776369)   #3215
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Last day on the beech . BTW we have missed Mikes birthday . I think it's his last of the 60's. So happy Birthday Mike see you later

+ 1. Hope you managed to find a kwoissant with icing sugar on, Mike!
Old 25 Oct 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3776381)   #3216
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks must be due to Lancky, as things appear to have returned things to normallity here.

Long may it continue. On the last occasion we had an impasse it my self who felt duty bound to stir the embers into a flickering flame, so felt it incumbent on some other silly sod to use the poker this time.

Life has returned to normal. Hurrah!
Old 25 Oct 2017, 22:30 (Ref:3776494)   #3217
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Climbing trees again Iain ? I thought you was too old for that old game
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Oct 2017, 12:01 (Ref:3776586)   #3218
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Find that hard to believe😂
Old 26 Oct 2017, 12:03 (Ref:3776587)   #3219
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Terence, thought of you as I passed through your old stamping ground last week (in a queue, naturally...). I even heard Queen Adelaide level-crossing mentioned in the news!
Yes John,it only brcame popular after we moved away😅
Old 26 Oct 2017, 12:12 (Ref:3776589)   #3220
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Quote:

Yes John,it only brcame popular after we moved away��

Any correlation?
Old 26 Oct 2017, 12:39 (Ref:3776593)   #3221
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Changing the subject again...I've just watched the first two runs of Bloodhound on YouTube. Not *that* exciting to watch, but an important milestone to our next glory.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 28 Oct 2017, 13:08 (Ref:3777005)   #3222
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Any correlation?
Yes,people started to yhink that if it was good enough for us😜
Old 29 Oct 2017, 08:47 (Ref:3777174)   #3223
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Changing the subject again...I've just watched the first two runs of Bloodhound on YouTube. Not *that* exciting to watch, but an important milestone to our next glory.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
What on earth is the point of spending millions of pounds to make a totally impracticable vehicle simply to travel at 1000 mph?
Hardly 'environmentally friendly' although the 'mental' bit might be appropriate!

Maybe when the local council decide that all roads in Luton will be several hundred miles long, dead straight, very wide and smooth, and I live a thousand miles form the Mall, I could be interested in obtaining one of these rocket powered cars, however, the price of aviation fuel will have to come down considerably before that happens.

Mind you I am without a car for the first time in many years, as the Astra has gone to the great breakers yard in the sky ................. better check the piggy bank.
Old 29 Oct 2017, 09:24 (Ref:3777180)   #3224
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
What on earth is the point of spending millions of pounds to make a totally impracticable vehicle simply to travel at 1000 mph?
Hardly 'environmentally friendly' although the 'mental' bit might be appropriate!

Maybe when the local council decide that all roads in Luton will be several hundred miles long, dead straight, very wide and smooth, and I live a thousand miles form the Mall, I could be interested in obtaining one of these rocket powered cars, however, the price of aviation fuel will have to come down considerably before that happens.

Mind you I am without a car for the first time in many years, as the Astra has gone to the great breakers yard in the sky ................. better check the piggy bank.
So even Astra's come to the end of the road eventually! Didn't they give you a pile of cash towards a new hybrid thing-a-me-bob?
Old 29 Oct 2017, 09:28 (Ref:3777181)   #3225
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Sad news Baub, I remember that Vauxhall-less feeling like yesterday, even though it was years ago.