Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Feb 2019, 13:44 (Ref:3883244)   #1051
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Keeping the racing behind a pay wall, isn't going to attract the casual viewer, who potentially could become a fan and it's not good for sponsors and advertisers, as it limits the number of viewers they can target.
Precisely, that's one of the observations I was making.
Old 11 Feb 2019, 13:47 (Ref:3883245)   #1052
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The only way the casual viewer could stumble across it is if they catch C4 highlights or Five Live. Seems we’ve lost all progress we’ve gained in terms of television in the past four decades
Old 11 Feb 2019, 20:54 (Ref:3883358)   #1053
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supplying all teams with current spec engines would be a start. The likes of Mercedes and Ferrari are supplying teams with older spec engines.
Old 11 Feb 2019, 21:43 (Ref:3883381)   #1054
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too little, too late IMHO. As much as I respect Ross Brawn and few others at the helm I honestly think it's dead in the water, the next couple of seasons will be quite telling with the way sponsors money is directed I feel. Multinationals are not going to continue to pour millions into a bottomless pit without some very serious changes taking place.
Old 11 Feb 2019, 21:58 (Ref:3883389)   #1055
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I feel they need to sail this sinking ship carefully through muddy waters and get it back to how it should be
Old 11 Feb 2019, 22:02 (Ref:3883390)   #1056
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I feel they need to sail this sinking ship carefully through muddy waters and get it back to how it should be
sail a sinking ship through muddy waters, how is that possible?
Old 12 Feb 2019, 04:23 (Ref:3883435)   #1057
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
sail a sinking ship through muddy waters, how is that possible?
Carefully?
Old 12 Feb 2019, 22:11 (Ref:3883649)   #1058
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With a blues backing?
Old 12 Feb 2019, 23:36 (Ref:3883662)   #1059
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
With a blues backing?
Is that you, in the Avatar?
Old 8 Mar 2019, 23:54 (Ref:3889253)   #1060
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
12 Oct 2018, 20:32 (Ref:3856208)
2 points for pole
1 point for fastest lap in race
Good to know they read this forum
well.... half of it

Old 10 Mar 2019, 18:48 (Ref:3889491)   #1061
S griffin
Veteran

I think they came up with their own decision here
Old 22 Apr 2019, 21:00 (Ref:3899050)   #1062
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting proposals by Stefan Johansson to fix the f1.

http://scuderiafans.com/former-ferra...XNpH50U6c7SfZA
Old 22 Apr 2019, 21:19 (Ref:3899054)   #1063
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Interesting proposals by Stefan Johansson to fix the f1.

http://scuderiafans.com/former-ferra...XNpH50U6c7SfZA
I started to read this, but some of the content is covered up by poorly integrated advertisements and that website looks to be a complete mess. I was concerned it wasn't legitimate content. But after searching around, it appears it has been lifted entirely from motorsports.com. So for those interested it might be easier to read the original source vs. a stolen copy (that generated revenue by serving up ads for content created by others)...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/j...omics/4374192/

It looks to be a four part commentary (not all published yet). I have done a VERY quick scan of this first part, but plan to read the entire thing in detail. It will be interesting to see what his thoughts are. It would appear he has put some thought into this and that it is just not high level rewording of "goals" (i.e. "Improve racing") as solutions and instead is providing actual suggestions.

Richard
Old 22 Apr 2019, 22:15 (Ref:3899059)   #1064
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After reading SJ"s article I copied the link to paste it here and saw it has been done already. I found the article made too much sense.

Can't wait for part 2.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 23 Apr 2019, 00:01 (Ref:3899066)   #1065
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks. I gave it a quick read and initially it seems to make sense, so I look forward to reading both parts in their entirety.
Old 23 Apr 2019, 16:53 (Ref:3899215)   #1066
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I sat down to really read the first part of SJ's proposal. I can't seem to find part two just yet.

Anyhow, my thoughts are that he does a good job of going over what the problem is. All things discussed on this forum quite a bit. I find this quote interesting (I also agree with it)...

Quote:
I believe we are now at a point where another two or maybe three decisions in the wrong direction could spell the end of F1 as we know it.
He talks of four pillars which are... Economics, Competition, Entertainment and Relevance. I think those are as good as any. The first article seems to focus on the first with the core being cost reduction by an extreme level of component standardization plus reworking distribution of revenue.

I think that strategic standardization of some components is not a bad thing. But I don't agree with some of his conclusions. Especially with respect to the thought that moving to a standard front wing will drastically reduce aero expenditure. I "think" his line of thought is that it all starts with the design of the front wing. That this shapes how the air flows over the rest of the car. So taking that off the table will result in less aero spending.

I think it will just redirect aero spending. There are already parts of the car that live in tight boxes and in which designs are very similar (such as the point he makes about front wings being very similar). But they are similar... not identical. So teams that are handed a spec front wing will just craft the rest of the car in their own particular and expensive ways. Someone please explain why I am wrong on this.

He doesn't address what I think is a key issue about budgets... And that is that teams will spend as much money as their budget allows. Budget size will be based upon the perceived value of the series. So F1 is still "premium" enough that large budgets can be justified by a small handful of teams.

He jumps past cost caps because he doesn't think they can be enforced. But that is where he and I would disagree. As I mention elsewhere, they don't have to work perfectly, but just good enough. What he is describing is more of the same with respect to limiting creativity.

He is just trying to do what is already being done, but on an accelerated basis. The idea is to continue to make the box smaller in hopes (cross fingers and pray!) that development costs go down. As the size of the box approaches zero, diminishing returns of development efforts will appear and cost WILL shrink. But I suspect the box has to be very small to see this happen.

He realizes that people will label his plan as "F1 as Indycar". And to be honest, that really is where he is going. His justification for this is that the soul (my words not his) of F1 is already dead. So why try to cling to the past ideas (i.e. competition amongst constructors).

But I think some of what he has is good. And lets see what the other three articles have to say.

Richard
Old 23 Apr 2019, 17:14 (Ref:3899218)   #1067
Richard C
Veteran

SJ had some older articles that seem to be precursors to this latest batch. Something to read prior the rest of this four part series being released..

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/st...67031/2964986/

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/st...67033/2964994/

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/st...67034/2964998/

Richard
Old 23 Apr 2019, 20:17 (Ref:3899248)   #1068
S griffin
Veteran

Have to say those are sensible solutions to me. Wanna job in F1 Steve Johnson?
Old 24 Apr 2019, 05:31 (Ref:3899301)   #1069
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Who’s Steve Johnson?
Old 24 Apr 2019, 05:56 (Ref:3899306)   #1070
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Who’s Steve Johnson?
Does this help?

https://www.sjphoto.com/
Old 24 Apr 2019, 06:32 (Ref:3899312)   #1071
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Who’s Steve Johnson?
He is Stefan Johansson, not Steve Johnson. He is a Swedish racing driver who drove in Formula One for both Ferrari and McLaren, among other teams (103 GP between 1980 and 1991). Since leaving Formula One he has won the 1997 24 Hours of Le Mans and raced in a number of categories, including CART, various kinds of Sports car racing and Grand Prix Masters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Johansson
Old 24 Apr 2019, 06:36 (Ref:3899313)   #1072
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I sat down to really read the first part of SJ's proposal. I can't seem to find part two just yet.

Anyhow, my thoughts are that he does a good job of going over what the problem is. All things discussed on this forum quite a bit. I find this quote interesting (I also agree with it)...

He talks of four pillars which are... Economics, Competition, Entertainment and Relevance. I think those are as good as any. The first article seems to focus on the first with the core being cost reduction by an extreme level of component standardization plus reworking distribution of revenue.

I think that strategic standardization of some components is not a bad thing. But I don't agree with some of his conclusions. Especially with respect to the thought that moving to a standard front wing will drastically reduce aero expenditure. I "think" his line of thought is that it all starts with the design of the front wing. That this shapes how the air flows over the rest of the car. So taking that off the table will result in less aero spending.

I think it will just redirect aero spending. There are already parts of the car that live in tight boxes and in which designs are very similar (such as the point he makes about front wings being very similar). But they are similar... not identical. So teams that are handed a spec front wing will just craft the rest of the car in their own particular and expensive ways. Someone please explain why I am wrong on this.

He doesn't address what I think is a key issue about budgets... And that is that teams will spend as much money as their budget allows. Budget size will be based upon the perceived value of the series. So F1 is still "premium" enough that large budgets can be justified by a small handful of teams.

He jumps past cost caps because he doesn't think they can be enforced. But that is where he and I would disagree. As I mention elsewhere, they don't have to work perfectly, but just good enough. What he is describing is more of the same with respect to limiting creativity.

He is just trying to do what is already being done, but on an accelerated basis. The idea is to continue to make the box smaller in hopes (cross fingers and pray!) that development costs go down. As the size of the box approaches zero, diminishing returns of development efforts will appear and cost WILL shrink. But I suspect the box has to be very small to see this happen.

He realizes that people will label his plan as "F1 as Indycar". And to be honest, that really is where he is going. His justification for this is that the soul (my words not his) of F1 is already dead. So why try to cling to the past ideas (i.e. competition amongst constructors).

But I think some of what he has is good. And lets see what the other three articles have to say.

Richard
Good summary and analysis of the article and certainly are in line with the old articles.
Old 24 Apr 2019, 07:04 (Ref:3899318)   #1073
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
He is Stefan Johansson, not Steve Johnson. He is a Swedish racing driver who drove in Formula One for both Ferrari and McLaren, among other teams (103 GP between 1980 and 1991). Since leaving Formula One he has won the 1997 24 Hours of Le Mans and raced in a number of categories, including CART, various kinds of Sports car racing and Grand Prix Masters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Johansson
His first F1 team was Spirit Honda.
Old 24 Apr 2019, 07:40 (Ref:3899322)   #1074
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It can be seen from the last few years of rule changes that some of the effects of the changes have failed because of the penalties for getting it wrong have been so severe.Things like the number of engines permitted led to the situation where hundreds of hours of transient dyno time are used up to ensure the level of reliability of the power units.The negative aspect is that somebody has to pay for these engines and the dyno time and as it happens away from the track there is no corresponding development of the rest of the cars.

I hope the severe reduction in free to air broadcast coverage can be reversed as it makes less sense to a sponsor to have the number of people viewing the display of promoted brands subjected to a limitation.Increasing viewer numbers also helps to sell the space on the cars.

The people in the business tend to live in a bubble and perhaps need to tell the world more about the incredible achievements they are responsible for.The vast increase in the efficiency of the ICE in the current era needs to be brought into the consciousness of the general public.The recent climate change protests in London could be the thin end of the wedge as far as motorsport is concerned and it would be a sound move to spread the word that F1 is leading the way in developing better ways to propel vehicles.I know there are still those who lament the passing of 20,000 rpm screamers but they were a dead end with not much real world relevance.
Old 24 Apr 2019, 07:56 (Ref:3899325)   #1075
S griffin
Veteran

Stefan Johansson was known as Steve Johnson by his F1 mechanics, because he was much loved by them