Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Apr 2007, 10:45 (Ref:1898401)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
CSCC - Snetterton, 21/22, April 2007

This two day event described on the programme as the 'Classic, Jaguar & Porsche Weekend' was pretty much what it said on the packet! I only attended on Saturday, and although most of the races were repeated the following day, from a Historics point of view, I was disappointed to miss the 'Swinging Sixties' race which only took place on the Sunday. If anyone can report back on this and any of the other historics races for Sunday, that would be good.

I will start the pictorial review today but time and the fact that this is the historic forum, means that I will restrict myself to those races that involved grids which were primarily historic in nature.

Last edited by John Turner; 23 Apr 2007 at 13:30.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 13:11 (Ref:1898562)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
John, have you got any pictures of the SRGTC race I could use on our website? Pretty pretty please.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 13:29 (Ref:1898577)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, of course, although by that time of the meeting I was out at the Esses trying to get some 'alternative' shots so not sure how succesful they were. Anyway, can I crave your patience while we get this and the Cadwell thread well and truly launched?
Old 23 Apr 2007, 13:49 (Ref:1898586)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Scrutineering beckons for Dave Lecoq's Petty Manx, while in the background, the Mk9 Cooper JAP of poleman, namesake, John Turner, has a quiet moment!

The queue for scrutineering:-

Crouching Cats. The XJC and XJS of Robert Macvicar:-

The Jaguars await qualifying:-
Old 23 Apr 2007, 15:43 (Ref:1898672)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Tom Smith's MGB at scrutineering:-

Awaiting the sound test. The TVRs of Steven Skinner and Malcolm Johnson head the queue:-

Bob Ridgard's MGB gets 'probed'. It amazes me that a circuit like Snetterton has to be so rigorous with its decibel level. It's not exactly sitting in a heavily populated area, and it's a shame that a couple of whingers have influenced the local district council. I'm sure my roadgoing V8 TVR would fail, by some margin, this test:-

More in the queue with the Pat Arculus Lotus Elite showing what a petite little car this, a Chapman/Costin masterpiece:-
Old 23 Apr 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1898711)   #6
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding the noise test at this event, there was also a race for historic bikes, this was run under an ACU permit apparantly and they were allowed 'open' exhausts
Old 23 Apr 2007, 18:32 (Ref:1898778)   #7
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
It amazes me that a circuit like Snetterton has to be so rigorous with its decibel level. It's not exactly sitting in a heavily populated area, and it's a shame that a couple of whingers have influenced the local district council. I'm sure my roadgoing V8 TVR would fail, by some margin, this test:-
My comments on this subject are not printable here!

Great pics John.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 19:01 (Ref:1898798)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 2 - Toyo Tyres XJS Championship

Race 1 was for Classic bikes, and great though they are, I'm not going there!

Race 2 was for XJS, straight 6 and V12, rangeing from 1979 to 1993, so I reckon they are historic now. These, by European standards anyway, are big machines and a grid of 27 was mighty impressive. Lots of mass to keep under control, great sounds and plenty of rubber laid down and dusted kicked up!:-

Steve Davis put his V12 on pole and won by 7 seconds although Gail Hill (1), the current champion, who finished 2nd was not always that far back:-

Bob Beecham finished 25th in his Straight Six version:-

Roger Webster's straight 6 was 18th:-

Stewart Lyddall's mean looking V12 was 3rd:-

Last edited by John Turner; 23 Apr 2007 at 19:03.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 20:46 (Ref:1898867)   #9
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As stated on the Swinging Sixties thread I would just like to thank all the competitors and especially the co-ordinators of the various series involved over the weekend; Paul, Terry, Jim, Tony, Richard, Billy, Nigel and Steve (thanks also to Steve for sorting out the Safety Car drivers who provided great company during our stints on standby!!) for all their co-operation over a very busy weekend, ensuring the cars were available in the assembly area at the right times.

All your combined efforts certainly assisted in minimizing delays and was really appreciated by all the team upstairs.

It was certainly a very entertaining weekend and we all look forward to the next one!

Terry
Old 24 Apr 2007, 10:11 (Ref:1899190)   #10
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would also like to thank HUGELY the marshals, clerks, timekeepers, scrutineers and all others who volunteered and helped put on this superb event

and not forgetting the 300+ competitors who made very few excursions and helped keep to the timetable

and to apologise for my "smokey moment" in quali - it was gear oil that caused it, from a dislodged gearbox dipstick!

But those lovely Scruts gave me my sticker back and we finished the race!

When I find out which 2 marshals go into the Daytona Draw I will let youll know!
Old 24 Apr 2007, 11:06 (Ref:1899223)   #11
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead
Regarding the noise test at this event, there was also a race for historic bikes, this was run under an ACU permit apparantly and they were allowed 'open' exhausts
I think you will find that the ACU are just as strict as the MSA, if not more so.

The only categories exempt are pre 1961 racing cars at the discretion of the organiser
Old 24 Apr 2007, 13:30 (Ref:1899328)   #12
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some photos of an incidenrt from the "Tin Tops" race.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ngtogether.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...1offtheygo.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...dustflying.jpg

Its me in the Uno in the following photos. Managed to overtake 5-6 cars in the first few laps & then had a great battle with the Maestro, No 25, & I managed to stay ahead until the driver change. My partner then brought the car home 15th out of 20, having started 27th and last on the grid after tech probs in practice.

Great fun.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...10407069AY.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...0407072uno.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ntochicane.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ingtheline.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...0407081uno.jpg

My father took these photos, attending his first race since 1986 (and only his second ever). he was so impressed with the day that he went back for more on the sunday, even though I wasn't racing!

Last edited by andy97; 24 Apr 2007 at 13:34.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 15:23 (Ref:1899399)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 3 - Apex Tubulars Porshe Club Championship

Excellent pics from your father, Andy.

A great mix of front and rear engined Porsches made up this big field. The oldest car dated from 1977 and the newest, 1994, so again I can justify inclusion. Some great dices down the field, and a good one for the lead involving poleman, James Neal (88) in his 964C2 and Tom Segrue ((968CS). However, Neal won by over 19 seconds from Mark McAleer (968), with Segrue 3rd, a further 6 seconds back, despite him setting fastest lap. However, as I seem to go deaf whilst taking shots, I missed the reason for him dropping back (a spin, an off, mechanical - anyone know?). There were quite a few 'moments' and this is apparent by some very fast lap times posted by drivers who finished further down the field. Here the winner leads from Segrue, although the latter was ahead on occasion:-

39 is Chris Dyer who eventually finished 17th, 41 is 911 of David Holroyd who finished 18th, and 25 is David Burke in his 911SC who finished 30th and last in this big field. He had qualified 18th, and his best race lap was seveal seconds faster than a number of those who finished ahead of him, so he, too, clearly had some sort of problem:-

Mark Taylor in his 911SC had a big battle with Christopher May in his 944S2 but was unable to stave him off for the whole race, and they swapped places finishing 20th and 21st. Note the loose 'eyelid' on the 944:-

Battle of 944s. Entering Russell's, Charles Winterhalder and Adrian Stock finished in this order, 28th and 29th:-

Last edited by John Turner; 24 Apr 2007 at 15:48.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1899533)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 4 - Vredestein/Soilmec JEC Saloon Challenge

A goodly mix of Jaguar saloons, this saw a titanic battle for the lead between Mike Cann's pole sitting 3.8 Mk2 and fellow front row man, Richard Dorlin's 4.2 XJ6. Cann's 1.4 second qualifying advantage was not translated in the race, and Dorlin got alongside 2 or 3 times. It was a monumental struggle and Cann only got a bit of a breather when Dorlin got a little delayed lapping backmarkers. It was good to see the old Mk2, still surely the most beautiful Jaguar saloon ever built, leading and winning the race. However, I should point out that it was in the heaviest modified class (D) whereas Dorlin's was in the less modified (B) class. A fine race by both of them; a second separated them after 11 hard fought laps, and they finished 13 seconds ahead of 3rd place Simon Lewis in his XJ6:-

It is a strange fact that the only other runner in Class D finished last, but Andrew Jeffrey's Jaguar Lister XJ is a mighty big car to go racing in:-

You'd have to think that there was contact here! Simon Hollihgworth's Mk2 is about to pull into the pits (the only race retiree) as Stephen Bantleman has to attempt to squeeze between Hollingworth and Robert Drewery's Daimler Sovereign. Bantleman finished 14th and Drewery, 9th:-

The only Invitation class entry was that of Chris Palmer in his XJ6 X300, seen here ahead of Howard Kirkham, in XJ40. They finished in this order 4th & 5th:-
Old 25 Apr 2007, 12:01 (Ref:1900029)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - Virgin Radio Classic Rock 'Equipe' GTS

A truly wonderful entry of MGBs, TR4s and TVRs from the 1960's spiced up with singleton entries of Gilbern GT, TR3A, Alfa GTA, Lotus Elite and Spitfire, and, as an added bonus, a pair of XK120s, made up a fantastic grid. Lots of close racing right down the field with a superb duel at the front between poleman Tom Smith's MGB and Malcolm Johnson's TVR. Johnson grabbed the early lead and resisted Smith's heroic attempts to get by for several laps. Eventually, Smith hit the front but the role reversal saw an immediate and sustained counter-attack by Johnson. In his attempts to stay ahead, Smith was putting the power on earlier and earlier out of Russell, and eventually he applied it a tad too early and got slightly out of shape. The slight loss in momentum was enough to allow Johnson to draw alongside on the Senna Straight and with the inside line into Riches, he retook the lead which he never again relinquished. The pair were split slightly through backmarkers, and although Smith came back strongly, he was not quite close enough to launch a further attack before the flag came out. A superb scrap:-

Allan Ross-Jones gets it all wrong going into Russell's, in his very smart TR4, but he recovered to finish 17th. A swarm of 'B's avoid him - David Wood (55 -19th), Andrew Burroughs (61 - 21st), Mark Way (41 - 16th), and Paul Freeman (13 - 26th):-

David Wozencroft took his TR4 to 13th, whilst the XK120 of Nick Wilkins finished 29th:-

Great to see the Gilbern 1800GT of Michael Bell. A 24th place finish was recorded:-

Last edited by John Turner; 25 Apr 2007 at 12:03.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 18:58 (Ref:1900364)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 6 - John Cooper Memorial

Ahhhhh, the smell of Castrol R; terrific! John Turner put his Mk9 Cooper JAP on pole but a poor start saw Neil Hodges (95 - Mk8 Cooper Jap) take the lead and make the running whilst David Lecoq (Petty Manx) made a good start to slot into second. Turner started to recover ground and in this picture he is second before he moved into the lead. Unfortunately, some sort of mechanical ailment then saw him drop down the order to eventually retire. Thus a 3 way battle for the lead became a two way one, and Neil Hodges it was who took the chequered flag from David Lecoq, just 6 tenths separating them at the end:-

Roy Hunt finished 3rd in his Martin Norton:-

Nigel Challis (Mk8 Cooper Norton) and James Holland (Mk8 Cooper Norton) show equal determination, but it was Holland who got ahead to take 5th, whilst Challis finished 7th:-

I was much smitten by this unusual machine; so much so that I failed to register the fact that Duncan Rabagliati was driving it, until I met him the following day at Cadwell! It's a Comet Mk1 JAP and Duncan finished 11th with it:-
Old 25 Apr 2007, 22:53 (Ref:1900511)   #17
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=andy97]Some photos of an incidents from the "Tin Tops" race.

Typical tintop race! thats what frightened me off. Well,that and the comments from the "proper" cscc drivers.Similar thoughts to you John! Im sure most of them hate having modern cars at their classic meetings,but hey my 216gti,the uno and the maestros are every bit as "historic" as a beaten up overweight jag XJ6.Possibly more so....
Old 26 Apr 2007, 09:40 (Ref:1900781)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Colin, I'm not going to be drawn on this, too much. There were, I agree, some cars in the 'Tin Tops' which I would now regard as old enough to constitute historic, and let's face it you guys need somewhere to play. However, I took a view that as I was trying to cover both Snetterton and Cadwell that I would have to be a bit selective! It's thursday now and I'm nowhere near completed with either event. So the 'moderns' are out, I'm afraid, and this is the Historic Racing forum afterall. Actually I really don't have a problem with the 'Tin Tops' - they will be 'historic' soon enough - we'll feature them then!
Old 26 Apr 2007, 11:26 (Ref:1900848)   #19
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=COLIN STUBBS]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
Some photos of an incidents from the "Tin Tops" race.

Typical tintop race! thats what frightened me off. Well,that and the comments from the "proper" cscc drivers.Similar thoughts to you John! Im sure most of them hate having modern cars at their classic meetings,but hey my 216gti,the uno and the maestros are every bit as "historic" as a beaten up overweight jag XJ6.Possibly more so....
IMHO the driving standards were pretty good overall. I don't think that the photo depicted was typical at all but my father was just chuffed to bits to get the shot & will be even more chuffed to be seen "nationally"! As for "comments", I have found the club to be very welcoming. Mind you, the CSCC's "Tin Tops" does not pretend to be an historic series, it plainly isn't, & so any discussion of this particular series should perhaps be better placed in the "National & Club Racing" Section.

Last edited by andy97; 26 Apr 2007 at 11:31.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 11:38 (Ref:1900856)   #20
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
BTW, the CSCC web site now announces dates for a "Future Classics" Series. I have put a link on the National & Club racing section.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 13:51 (Ref:1900936)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 9 - Knights Batteries/JEC Powered by Jaguar

I think the sort of driving well captured by Andy's Dad is not restricted to Tin Tops. The nature of Russells means that it tends to attract this sort of incident regardless of the class of race. I noted nothing particularly untoward in the driving of the Tin Tops which was Race 7. The event was won by the Gannon/Gannon (optional 2 driver event with compulsory stop, of course) Honda Integra with Nick Reynolds in a similar car second and the MG ZR of Mellor and Addison 3rd. I thought Andy (Yeoman) and Nigel Edwards did well to take 15th in a fairly large field, (several of which were unclassified at the end) in the Uno, which is certainly old enough to qualify as historic.

Race 8 was for modern Porsches so I will just record the fact that the race was easily won by Rupert Lewin in his 996 GT2 R, a stunningly quick car in a straight line.

Now to Race 9, which was the Knight Batteries/JEC Powered by Jaguar Championship with 750MC Sports Racing & GT Challenge, a title that explains the rather extraordinary make up of the grid. There was a reasonable proportion of historic cars in the race although the many pretty Crossle 9S would be described as continuation cars, and the 3 quickest cars were 'Fake Snakes'; they were followed home by 3 of the Crossles. This is not a criticism; just a statement of fact, so apart from the first picture, the others 3 focus on the genuinely older cars in the race:-

Heading down toward the Bomb Hole, Nigel Edwards finds his mirrors full of the RAM Cobra of Mark Jordan who eventually got by. They finished 3rd and 4th:-

Late entrant, Myles Castaldini finished 18th in his Marcos GT:-

20th place went to the little Ginetta G12 from 1966, driven by David Stafford.
The G12 was the car to have in GT club racing in the mid 1960's until the Chevron B6/B8 came along:-

Last of the classified finishers was Norman Davidson in his 1961 E-type:-

That was the last race I witnessed, but it would be good if anyone would like to give us a brief run down of the following days events.

I will put up a few requests if anyone has any, and that includes the 2 'modern' races mentioned above. Yes, I did 'snap' some of them, too!

Last edited by John Turner; 26 Apr 2007 at 13:56.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 17:15 (Ref:1901064)   #22
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Before I get my coat.. Iv got to say some of the best,clean racing Iv had has been with Tintops,and was speaking a bit out of turn.Although some of the less "historic" cars always seem to get badly bent!
ps. as usual brilliant pics John.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 09:44 (Ref:1901541)   #23
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
looking at that Ginetta (a very pretty car) does that mean this series accepts sports racers?
nice looking E Type as well pity it didnt finsh - do you know why?
Old 27 Apr 2007, 09:56 (Ref:1901547)   #24
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
looking at that Ginetta (a very pretty car) does that mean this series accepts sports racers?
nice looking E Type as well pity it didnt finsh - do you know why?
The Ginetta G12 races in the SR & GT series, which was amalgamated with the JEC Powered by Jaguar series for this race meeting only.

Details of the SR & GT series can be found here:

http://www.srgtc.org.uk

A great series. The Crossle 9S' are my favourites.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 16:16 (Ref:1901728)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
The Ginetta G12 races in the SR & GT series, which was amalgamated with the JEC Powered by Jaguar series for this race meeting only.

Details of the SR & GT series can be found here:

http://www.srgtc.org.uk

A great series. The Crossle 9S' are my favourites.
I have had a look at the website - is this a series for replica's? Is the Ginetta a replica or an original?

Yes I agree about the Crossle - I think it is pretty and effective sadly trying to find a genuine pre 66 one is very hard - as Jon Shipman and Mark Hales soon realized ;-)

Tags
classic sports car club, cscc