Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Nov 2009, 02:24 (Ref:2586760)   #276
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
So it's ok for Governments to fund the AFL cos millions watch? Even though they are the richest sporting code in Australia?

It also convenient that you forget that an upgrade to Barbagallo will benefit hundreds of thousand over the next 10 years that race there or attend driver training during the week, Police training etc.
^^^^^
I am with him, IIRC there is not a day goes by in the year where the track is not booked out for use by some group, it is pretty busy up there with demand for more track time up there by some people (the upgrade would allow a dift loop and the current circuit to run at the same time IIRC). It (the upgrades) needs to happen full stop even if the v8s come back or not... And they will no matter what TC says as his negotiation tactics

Last edited by St00ge; 22 Nov 2009 at 02:32.
Old 22 Nov 2009, 02:34 (Ref:2586766)   #277
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
^^^^^
I am with him, IIRC there is not a day goes by in the year where the track is not booked out for use by some group, it is pretty busy up there with demand for more track time up there by some people (the upgrade would allow a dift loop and the current circuit to run at the same time IIRC). It (the upgrades) needs to happen full stop even if the v8s come back or not... And they will no matter what TC says trying to get his way
Money should be spent to improve facilities that will be used by the above, like has been ear marked for the $5 million by the WA Government.

$$$ should not be spent on corporate facilities, media facilities etc that V8's demands for 3 days a year.
Old 22 Nov 2009, 02:47 (Ref:2586769)   #278
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
$$$ should not be spent on corporate facilities, media facilities etc that V8's demands for 3 days a year.
Must have missed them demanding those things DRT - do you have a link or a statement with them making those demands? My understanding is the main issue for the V8 people was paddock / pit lane related, although having been there, the media facilities could be improved simply by using a tent, which would of course be temporary.
Old 22 Nov 2009, 03:28 (Ref:2586773)   #279
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see the $5 million expenditure by WA Government will include temporary media and drivers facilities, somehow I dont think it was the driver training guys pushing this.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/go...1113-ieap.html
Quote:
It includes widening and resurfacing the track, new safety measures and temporary media and drivers facilities.
The WA Government has addressed the safety issues and circuit width which appeared to by V8SA major concerns - OH&S and safety of the teams. If these have been addressed by WA Government through the $5million, I am not sure what leg V8SA have to stand on?
Old 22 Nov 2009, 03:48 (Ref:2586777)   #280
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice to see the teams operating out of tents as pitlane facilities

Although, the same applies at Queensland Raceway too
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Nov 2009, 03:57 (Ref:2586781)   #281
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Thanks DRT - seems a bit strange that they're spending part of a capital upgrade on temporary media facilities but there you go.

From memory the main concern re OHS from the V8 people is paddock & pit related and given the amount of work that would be needed, I'd be really surprised if that could be rectified within the $5 mill.
Old 22 Nov 2009, 06:27 (Ref:2586841)   #282
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Nice to see the teams operating out of tents as pitlane facilities

Although, the same applies at Queensland Raceway too
It makes no sense to build pit garages in the current pit lane for which only the v8 teams would really use... If you have ever been to Wanneroo you will find that the pits are not directly behind where pit lane is (there is spectator areas and buildings in between) and there is also a fair bit of elevation change from pit lane to the normal pits which would require major works to make it all work sensibly for the other 363 days of the year that v8s are not in town...
Old 22 Nov 2009, 06:40 (Ref:2586855)   #283
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Isnt the Oran Park facility being pulled down now? A quick trip across the Nullarbor in the train and voila, a new pit garage complex, including corporate areas!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Nov 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2587107)   #284
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
still a chance
Old 22 Nov 2009, 21:57 (Ref:2587392)   #285
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
another back down by TC

From The West (another Stokes venture)
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...at-barbagallo/

Loved this bit:
The State Government has committed $5 million towards upgrading the 2.4km-long circuit in a move previously labeled by Cochrane as insufficient to keep racing in WA.

Cochrane said the sport’s ruling body wanted the Government’s $5 million commitment to be spent in other areas.

Certainly acknowledge VESAs role in getting the $5m.