Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Nov 2009, 21:49 (Ref:2588076)   #1
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The black wiggle speaks (merged x2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Did you get a response?
I am sure many of you will be happy to know that "Cocho" is appearing on ABC radio in "Conversation Hour" today!

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/conten..._on_abc_radio/

Unlike "Lameline" you can hear the facts from the man himself. Just in case anyone misses it (DRT, alan52 and friends) I will also post a copy of the audio for you later, or if like I will pm the details personally for you...
Old 23 Nov 2009, 22:09 (Ref:2588086)   #2
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Baz, baz, baz. Yes we can, and I'll be listening - but it'll be the 'facts' according to Tony. Hardly an impartial stating of the facts - wouldn't you agree? Anyway, I'd say the facts will be more about him, him, him than the Homebush race - although I'm sure even with it being the ABC, he'll get his sales pitch in there somewhere.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 23:37 (Ref:2588121)   #3
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps he will tell us why he thinks he is entitled to sit (or even belongs in) front row and centre of the annual drivers photo at Adelaide each year
Old 24 Nov 2009, 00:59 (Ref:2588150)   #4
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Well, what a load of waffle that was - even by TC's standards.

We were spared any mention of Homebush, but plenty of facsh about Frank Sinatra, Liza Minelli and friends. Quite a bit about what a fabulous influence TC has had on Australian motorsport, and how he has improved living standards for those who walk with him on the Supercar road. He's a legend.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 01:03 (Ref:2588153)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The podcast isnt up yet
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Nov 2009, 01:11 (Ref:2588155)   #6
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Don't bother - unless you're really, REALLY bored.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 01:31 (Ref:2588161)   #7
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Perhaps he will tell us why he thinks he is entitled to sit (or even belongs in) front row and centre of the annual drivers photo at Adelaide each year
Because he can...
Old 24 Nov 2009, 02:12 (Ref:2588177)   #8
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil View Post
Because he can...
And thinking that he belongs or doesn't even feel embarrased about being in that photo says more about his character than the whole 1 hour.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 03:49 (Ref:2588205)   #9
A-A
Rookie

A-A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The black wiggle speaks

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...?site=brisbane
Old 25 Nov 2009, 02:14 (Ref:2588763)   #10
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8 View Post
Well, what a load of waffle that was - even by TC's standards.

We were spared any mention of Homebush, but plenty of facsh about Frank Sinatra, Liza Minelli and friends. Quite a bit about what a fabulous influence TC has had on Australian motorsport, and how he has improved living standards for those who walk with him on the Supercar road. He's a legend.
That interview is most probably twelve months old and it most probably pre-dates the announcement of Homebush. I guess it is a load of waffle from a motorsport perspective as his current promotional activities were only glossed over. It was interesting to hear his thoughts and how he goes about things. It most definitely was not load of waffle and if you had not dismissed it so lightly you would have gotten an insight into what he does and how determined he is to achieve things. He put the professionalism into motor sport in this country, like it or not. I suspect a lot of dislike for him is petty jealousy, the tall poppy syndrome is another name for it. I just dislike his lack of regard for the feeder class of motor sport, if he put some effort into that he would be on a winner as far as I am concerned. All he does now is cause entry fees at V8 meetings to be sky high when he should be seeing them subsidised so those support classes are promoted before big crowds.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 02:34 (Ref:2588771)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
He put the professionalism into motor sport in this country, like it or not.
Are you saying it wasn't professional prior to 1997??

He's certainly made it more commercial, but that doesn't mean he made it professional
Old 25 Nov 2009, 03:32 (Ref:2588785)   #12
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Just listened to it. It WAS a bit waffly but that is the nature of the program too - it is meant to be a relaxed chat.

For anyone one that has not had a lot to do with TC personally, it is worth a listen as it gives a little insight into him and what he's about.

My thoughts re the discussion on professionalism above? Depends how you define it but I will say that many more people are able to make a full time living out of V8 Supercars than was ever the case in previous versions of the ATCC. It is also run very professionally (not without its faults) and to a higher standard than has often been the case in the past too.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 05:01 (Ref:2588820)   #13
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
That interview is most probably twelve months old and it most probably pre-dates the announcement of Homebush. I guess it is a load of waffle from a motorsport perspective as his current promotional activities were only glossed over. It was interesting to hear his thoughts and how he goes about things. It most definitely was not load of waffle and if you had not dismissed it so lightly you would have gotten an insight into what he does and how determined he is to achieve things. He put the professionalism into motor sport in this country, like it or not. I suspect a lot of dislike for him is petty jealousy, the tall poppy syndrome is another name for it. I just dislike his lack of regard for the feeder class of motor sport, if he put some effort into that he would be on a winner as far as I am concerned. All he does now is cause entry fees at V8 meetings to be sky high when he should be seeing them subsidised so those support classes are promoted before big crowds.
The ABC presented that episode on 'The Conversation Hour' as if it was current, and being put to air only days out from Tonys 'Big Day Out' at Homebush, anyone (myself included) would have presumed it to be - if not live, at least very recent. So what you say about the age of it makes sense. On the rest of your post: Let's agree to disagree. I don't have even the faintest traces of Tall Poppy Syndrome when it comes to Tony Cochrane, and as someone who listens to Richard Fidler's 'The Conversation Hour' on a semi-regular basis, that episode was a lot more waffle than most.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 00:07 (Ref:2589961)   #14
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Are you saying it wasn't professional prior to 1997??

He's certainly made it more commercial, but that doesn't mean he made it professional
Yes, it was not professional and had very few full time drivers working in a bottom line business which each franchise is. That does not make me like his methods or his apparent lack of regard for other sections of motor sport, but I can separate the two. He dragged motor sport out of the back water it was in and put his version of it on a professional basis. Notice how many classes have followed his lead.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 01:04 (Ref:2589968)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its all relative, i think its more accurate to say the series has grown with the times.

Are you saying that teams like HRT, DJR, Castrol Perkins etc etc were not professional teams in 1996?? As i said earlier it mightn't have been commercial, but doesn't mean it wasn't a professional series.