Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Dec 2019, 05:03 (Ref:3946254)   #1
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Supercars Gen 3 (2022)

So... What will be on the Supercars grid come 2022?

Body types:
A Mustang with a more production-looking roofline thanks to a new revised roll cage spaceframe design?

Will there be any other body types apart the 'Stang?

Powertrains:
To remain market relevant, an off-the-shelf hybrid element has been mooted. BTCC and Nascar are supposed to adopt a similar system... Such a move may be necessary to get manufacturers interested.

Should the Mustang "GT" be replaced by the Mustang "Ecoboost" with the rorty downsize four cylinder turbo that is more market relevant?

Other tech regs:

Will wider rear tyres finally be introduced?

A paddle shift? (Boooooo!)

Alternative:

Will Gen 3 be abandoned due to costs and existing COTF will race on indefinitely?
Old 12 Dec 2019, 05:13 (Ref:3946256)   #2
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they are going to use a new platform, how do they come to the Gen3 name?
Old 13 Dec 2019, 03:56 (Ref:3946430)   #3
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just go to GT4. The work is already done. Mustang and Camaro already racing in it plus BMW.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 04:07 (Ref:3946432)   #4
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMax View Post
Just go to GT4. The work is already done. Mustang and Camaro already racing in it plus BMW.
... And nobody seems to care.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 04:13 (Ref:3946433)   #5
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The issue with GT4 (although i agree its a good choice) is GT3 exists and is faster / sexier and do they really want to go that path without eliminating GT3 in this country?

or, just TCR....
Old 13 Dec 2019, 04:42 (Ref:3946435)   #6
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Twin Turbo Panel Van
Old 13 Dec 2019, 05:17 (Ref:3946437)   #7
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.motoring.com.au/bmw-m4-s...vealed-122089/ BMW M4 Supercar revealed
https://autoaction.com.au/
Old 13 Dec 2019, 05:21 (Ref:3946438)   #8
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
There will be better looking and faster versions running around Bathurst at the 12 hour... just saying....
Old 13 Dec 2019, 05:23 (Ref:3946439)   #9
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
The issue with GT4 (although i agree its a good choice) is GT3 exists and is faster / sexier and do they really want to go that path without eliminating GT3 in this country?

or, just TCR....
GT3 cars are faster than Supercars already. Why would it matter?

What sense does it make to build complete ground-up versions of Mustangs, Camaro’s, M4’s etc... for a single series in one country, when all the cars already exist and are built en masse?
Old 13 Dec 2019, 06:39 (Ref:3946448)   #10
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another question might be whether Supercars considers having its own proprietary vehicle construction regulations as being integral to it's perceived value?
Old 13 Dec 2019, 08:24 (Ref:3946466)   #11
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Another question might be whether Supercars considers having its own proprietary vehicle construction regulations as being integral to it's perceived value?
Only because the teams themselves would have to divest of huge amounts of staff, at massive cost, if they suddenly were no longer developing and manufacturing cars.

And Roger would have nowhere to spend $20m to get ahead...
Old 13 Dec 2019, 08:46 (Ref:3946474)   #12
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Only because the teams themselves would have to divest of huge amounts of staff, at massive cost, if they suddenly were no longer developing and manufacturing cars.
Plenty of jobs have been lost in the Supercars industry in the last 23 years, for reasons that were described as progress, why should this be any different?

Teams want cheaper cars, here’s a way of doing it.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 08:48 (Ref:3946475)   #13
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Plenty of jobs have been lost in the Supercars industry in the last 23 years, for reasons that were described as progress, why should this be any different?
This kind of move would be a seismic shift, akin to losing car manufacturing.

The huge job losses in such a concentrated area would mean a lot of people who wouldn't easily again find similar work.

This is why the teams themselves might be seen to be their own worst enemy, and resistant to change.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 19:21 (Ref:3946593)   #14
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMax View Post
Google 'exciting GT4 race'. I'd be surprised if you get a return on your search.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 22:11 (Ref:3946618)   #15
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This kind of move would be a seismic shift, akin to losing car manufacturing.
So if Supercars moved from a control chassis and a silhouette formula, to a production chassis; this would be akin to Ford/Holden/Toyota quitting manufacturing in Australia??

Quote:
The huge job losses in such a concentrated area would mean a lot of people who wouldn't easily again find similar work.
Pace Innovations wouldn't be able to further diversify their operations?
Welders and fabricators can't be re-positioned or re-employed?

Quote:
This is why the teams themselves might be seen to be their own worst enemy, and resistant to change.
They're not adaptable to change; yet in many cases have gone from Blueprint to Gen2 without much trouble?
Old 18 Dec 2019, 18:04 (Ref:3947393)   #16
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I certainly hope they don’t put on wider tyres and paddle shift!
Old 19 Dec 2019, 06:11 (Ref:3947456)   #17
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
I certainly hope they don’t put on wider tyres and paddle shift!
I would think paddles are a given for Gen 3
Old 19 Dec 2019, 17:21 (Ref:3947580)   #18
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Maggo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I would think paddles are a given for Gen 3
Old 20 Dec 2019, 00:34 (Ref:3947644)   #19
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope not!
Already too far down the wrong path
Old 29 Dec 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3948909)   #20
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
I hope not!
Already too far down the wrong path
Combustion engine racing is on the way out...

Francois Rebeiro, TCR category manager:
Quote:
If we all love combustion motorsport, and I think we do, the coming years will be brutal, violent. There will be decisions, in any championship, which will be so hard, so difficult, in every category of motorsport. Rallying, F1, touring cars, GT. The series that won't adapt to the energy transition of the automotive industry can die.
Are Supercars doing enough to prepare for the future!?

It seems Francois Rebeiro is far, far, far more on the pulse than Sean Seamer, which the Supercars category surely has to find alarming...

Therefore for Gen 3 I would propose:
- 2L turbocharged four cylinder engines producing 500hp, combined with a 150hp hybrid electric system, to retain the current 650hp.
- Flexible roll cage rules: but a decision needs to be made whether to require 2 door vehicles only (Mustang Ecoboost, BMW 830i etc) or 4 door vehicles only vehicles (Peugeot 508, Kia Stinger etc). Having sedans racing against coupes, as present, seems very sloppy.
- Significantly reduce homologation costs for a new manufacturer, including Supercars paying for homologations.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 29 Dec 2019 at 09:16.
Old 29 Dec 2019, 15:47 (Ref:3948942)   #21
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Combustion engine racing is on the way out...

Francois Rebeiro, TCR category manager:

Are Supercars doing enough to prepare for the future!?

It seems Francois Rebeiro is far, far, far more on the pulse than Sean Seamer, which the Supercars category surely has to find alarming...

- 2L turbocharged four cylinder engines producing 500hp, combined with a 150hp hybrid electric system, to retain the current 650hp.
- Flexible roll cage rules: but a decision needs to be made whether to require 2 door vehicles only (Mustang Ecoboost, BMW 830i etc) or 4 door vehicles only vehicles (Peugeot 508, Kia Stinger etc). Having sedans racing against coupes, as present, seems very sloppy.
- Significantly reduce homologation costs for a new manufacturer, including Supercars paying for homologations.
Coupes have raced Sedans in touring car competition the world over for 50+ years, why is it sloppy all of a sudden in 2019?
Old 29 Dec 2019, 16:45 (Ref:3948945)   #22
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Why?
1. Hybrid increases costs and makes motorsport complicated
2. V8 is what we love on the supercars. I would not change that. Supercars will be dead within 2 years if the V8 leaves (like the Commodore)

If Gen3 is so cheap that we dont need manufacturers then Supercars has a future. We see now that car manufacturers change their minds within weeks so I would try to make Supercars independent from manufacturers and use cheap technology but make it fascinating for viewers and fans.
Old 29 Dec 2019, 18:51 (Ref:3948959)   #23
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggo View Post
Why?
2. V8 is what we love on the supercars. I would not change that. Supercars will be dead within 2 years if the V8 leaves (like the Commodore)

If Gen3 is so cheap that we dont need manufacturers then Supercars has a future. We see now that car manufacturers change their minds within weeks so I would try to make Supercars independent from manufacturers and use cheap technology but make it fascinating for viewers and fans.
Hi Maggo,

I don't like the word cheap, but I have to agree with your sentiments, as relying an manufactures support is a road to no were. However, retaining silhouette bodies of iconic manufactures and or models, still makes sense, because the fan base, and the all important so called "eyeball" social media reach still responds to such stimuli.

Lower cost's can be achieved by the increased use of controlled components, and the biggest one is also the "Elephant in the room" the engine.

One thing that I regret not doing when I started V8 SuperTourers in New Zealand, back in 2012 was not offering a Ford based equivalent engine to the LS7 engine. Shortly before the collapse of the Series I was in the process of purchasing Ford aftermarket engine componentary to build such an engine alternative, the problem I faced back then that the Ford based engine was going to cost twice the price of the off the shelf LS7 crate engine. The fix for that, at least in my mind, was to make the two engine cost the same money, i.e. one subsidising the other.

Unfortunately the Series collapsed before I had time to introduce the concept, let alone put it into practice.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 29 Dec 2019, 18:58 (Ref:3948961)   #24
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggo View Post
Why?
Why would it be dead if there are no V8's? Personally I watch for the style of racing rather than what's under the bonnet. It would make no difference whatsoever to me if it was a 4 cylinder engine or a V8. I seriously doubt the majority of fans only watch because they are V8's.

I can see there being a lot synergy between the direction the BTCC has gone in with it's new hybrid system and Supercars. Alan Gow (BTCC boss) has already said that they've shown a lot of interest in what they're doing. Hybrid doesn't have to be that complex or expensive but it ticks a lot of boxes for manufacturers which the big series need.
Old 29 Dec 2019, 19:53 (Ref:3948968)   #25
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Hi Maggo,

I don't like the word cheap,...

Cheers,

Mark.

perhaps is affordable the better word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
Why would it be dead if there are no V8's? Personally I watch for the style of racing rather than what's under the bonnet. It would make no difference whatsoever to me if it was a 4 cylinder engine or a V8. I seriously doubt the majority of fans only watch because they are V8's.
The sound of a V8 makes a lot of the fascination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
I can see there being a lot synergy between the direction the BTCC has gone in with it's new hybrid system and Supercars. Alan Gow (BTCC boss) has already said that they've shown a lot of interest in what they're doing. Hybrid doesn't have to be that complex or expensive but it ticks a lot of boxes for manufacturers which the big series need.
I like what BTCC is doing but I see no advantage in hybrid.
When the engine doesn't matter like you say (V8 vs R4) why would spectators care about hybrid systems? In my opinion they just increase the costs without a benefit.
Closed Thread