Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 24 Dec 2021, 13:26 (Ref:4091201)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Spa Francorchamps revamp

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/sp...hotos/6978718/

I missed they planned to do this.

More suitable for bikes, more gravel and some bigger runoffs.

Biggest thing I noticed is that all the grandstands from La Source down to Eau Rouge have been don’t down.
Old 18 Feb 2022, 08:06 (Ref:4099224)   #2
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lots more gravel, lots less tarmac runoff. Good to see.

And a bike-specific Speakers Corner.

https://youtu.be/KpKu0Ai5Fws
Old 9 May 2022, 14:06 (Ref:4109405)   #3
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I was at Spa for WEC this weekend and experienced the new Eau Rouge stand and other changes. Here's some observations (with an emphasis on photography, which is my thing!):

The whole of the area opposite the endurance pits remains a building site, though you can walk over it and there is some nice viewing high up on the bank, although you're sitting/standing on a huge pile of rubble!

The Eau Rouge stand is awesome. It offers possibly the best view in motorsport, over the whole circuit and with unimpeded view of the straight, Radillon and Eau Rouge. Access was free all weekend.

The stand is VERY steep and it is all bench seats so you need a head for heights. I lack that so I didn't go up. However, at the front/bottom of the stand there is a railing with the first row of seats set back and a little up. That railing was end-to-end photographers. I got my spot 2 hours before the start and spent much of that protecting my space with sharp elbows!

From the end of the stand nearest Eau Rouge there is a clear view of the straight and the curve. However, while it is awesome viewing it's actually less interesting photography-wise than the old fence cut-outs because it is harder to capture the elevation changes or get interesting angles.

The other end of the stand provides long and possibly more interesting shots of the cars cresting Eau Rouge. Less dramatic viewing, more compelling pictures.

There are more fences and higher barriers around Les Combes and Malmedy, meaning the loss of a few shots. It's no longer possible to get the head-on of the cars rounding Malmedy shooting through the fence next to the old caravans.

Around Bruxelles little has changed viewing-wise. You can still shoot through the big gap that the TV cameras use. The area on the outside of the track on the run down to Double Gauche is clearly going to be a viewing area but it's still a building site now. There is also a lot of work being done around Campus.

Was there always two tunnels under Eau Rouge to the paddocks? I don't recall. Anyway there's two now, one of which looks new! Nothing was different in the Paddock area at all.

I don't know if it's currently possible to walk all the way round La Source. I suspect the bank where you could get cheeky high shots of the corner is now blocked off. But by this point I was tired and wet and had 3000 photos so I bailed out .

Last edited by Anyopenroad; 9 May 2022 at 14:24.
Old 9 May 2022, 14:51 (Ref:4109425)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks

It did look like the new grandstand was a good one.
Old 9 May 2022, 14:57 (Ref:4109428)   #5
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I was at Spa for WEC this weekend and experienced the new Eau Rouge stand and other changes. Here's some observations (with an emphasis on photography, which is my thing!):

The whole of the area opposite the endurance pits remains a building site, though you can walk over it and there is some nice viewing high up on the bank, although you're sitting/standing on a huge pile of rubble!

The Eau Rouge stand is awesome. It offers possibly the best view in motorsport, over the whole circuit and with unimpeded view of the straight, Radillon and Eau Rouge. Access was free all weekend.

The stand is VERY steep and it is all bench seats so you need a head for heights. I lack that so I didn't go up. However, at the front/bottom of the stand there is a railing with the first row of seats set back and a little up. That railing was end-to-end photographers. I got my spot 2 hours before the start and spent much of that protecting my space with sharp elbows!

From the end of the stand nearest Eau Rouge there is a clear view of the straight and the curve. However, while it is awesome viewing it's actually less interesting photography-wise than the old fence cut-outs because it is harder to capture the elevation changes or get interesting angles.

The other end of the stand provides long and possibly more interesting shots of the cars cresting Eau Rouge. Less dramatic viewing, more compelling pictures.

There are more fences and higher barriers around Les Combes and Malmedy, meaning the loss of a few shots. It's no longer possible to get the head-on of the cars rounding Malmedy shooting through the fence next to the old caravans.

Around Bruxelles little has changed viewing-wise. You can still shoot through the big gap that the TV cameras use. The area on the outside of the track on the run down to Double Gauche is clearly going to be a viewing area but it's still a building site now. There is also a lot of work being done around Campus.

Was there always two tunnels under Eau Rouge to the paddocks? I don't recall. Anyway there's two now, one of which looks new! Nothing was different in the Paddock area at all.

I don't know if it's currently possible to walk all the way round La Source. I suspect the bank where you could get cheeky high shots of the corner is now blocked off. But by this point I was tired and wet and had 3000 photos so I bailed out .
Thanks for the updates. Q: can one still walk/stand in front of the grandstand or is the only way around it on the backside?
Old 9 May 2022, 15:27 (Ref:4109434)   #6
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Thanks for the updates. Q: can one still walk/stand in front of the grandstand or is the only way around it on the backside?
Round the back only.
Old 23 May 2022, 07:57 (Ref:4110986)   #7
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A little more info from Spa, having been at the Spring Classic this weekend.

The new grandstand above Raidillon is indeed impressive providing superb views across the the Bus Stop, exit of La Source, down through Eau Rouge and under your feet. However, for me it becomes almost like a cinema - lacking the involvement of the old endurance pits grandstand where your toes were literally just above the track if in row 1 ! PA is in place but was not switched on; toilets open and temporary bar, but no food. East Belgium Kart Club (iirc) hut there providing food has long gone ! A big screen truck was parked opposite but not seen working when we were there.

One obvious factor. Sitting in row one, the view of the track is behind the railings and that's before the snappers grab their standing spots on the rail. Think carefully before booking a seat in the first two or three rows. As a snapper, a lot of your shots will be from above.

One new grandstand (not open) has appeared opposite the endurance pits with obvious locations for more - reference to Belgian Grand Prix ticket website suggests what is to come. It's a long way back from the track. Perhaps even further than the stand at Hollywood at Donington !

There are now grandstands at Speakers Corner although the view can't be especially brilliant. You could walk round the outside of La Source last weekend but this may vary for the GP, of course.

We'd not been to the Spa Classic before, so I hadn't appreciated the car clubs involvement or the track lapping sessions that could be purchased between races on Saturday. At €43 for a three day entrance ticket and €8 per day to park, I'd regard it favourably against the Silverstone Classic if racing is your main reason for going.

Finally, having finally found some coffee late on Saturday in the Paddock cafe (took our own Sunday), we were above the grand prix pits for the Endurance Legends race into the dark. Oh, my ! 2 Panoz, 1 333SP, 1 550 Maranello, etc, etc. While field was a glorious sight and sound !

Quick advert; we will be updating the spectator photographers guide for Spa on pistonclick.com shortly, to include the new development.
Old 24 May 2022, 12:31 (Ref:4111144)   #8
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Damn, 2 Panoz?? we can't even get 1 beyond an old racing school car that trundles around slowly and off song at their home track
Old 24 May 2022, 16:29 (Ref:4111177)   #9
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Damn, 2 Panoz?? we can't even get 1 beyond an old racing school car that trundles around slowly and off song at their home track
A few photos of the action - https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzQWtd

And some moving pictures of the Endurance Legends - recommend sound on -
https://flic.kr/p/2nnmPBK