Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Should F1 cars still be allowed to use DRS in 2023?
Yes, exactly as it is now 2 7.69%
No, it should be scrapped 14 53.85%
Yes, but with some kind of change (please explain in the replies) 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Jun 2022, 14:50 (Ref:4112408)   #121
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
NC, USA
Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Or they could do away with it altogether and adopt Indy-style power boost push-to-pass; that will of course never happen because Not Invented Here syndrome is very strong in F1.
I tend to agree that P2P is a better solution and the "not invented here" issue is probably a large factor in preventing it from showing up in F1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
And now, I am not saying that throttle, brakes and DRS are "equal"...
I didn't see the above typo until it was too late to fix. I meant to say "And no, I am not"

Richard
Old 1 Jun 2022, 15:21 (Ref:4112414)   #122
Aysedasi
Back at Le Mans!
1% Club

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Isn't that the same thing for the throttle? Both drivers can use it and both can push to pass when the correct conditions exist?
No, I don't think so. Application of throttle (and brake) at the right time have been part of the essential skills of racing drivers since racing began. Having a hole appear in your rear wing at set points on a circuit every lap is just that - there is no skill whatsoever involved and the pass which follows is soulless, 'spice it up for the viewers because they must have lots of overtaking' artificiality.

I agree though, DRS is not uniquely artificial. The rule set, the cars and the circuits all impose artificiality, but DRS is (for me) the worst example, which I have found increasingly offensive, particularly recently. I'm not a 'purist' but I think we all know something isn't quite right when the driver's skill married with the capabilities of his car has to be enhanced in this way. I guess we just have to accept that 'not quite right' is how it has to be, it's just how the 'not quite right' is currently managed that isn't...... quite right. Maybe I've been watching too much from Goodwood.....

Last edited by Aysedasi; 1 Jun 2022 at 15:30.
Old 1 Jun 2022, 15:34 (Ref:4112419)   #123
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think you are underestimating the difficulty of getting to and staying under 1 sec behind a car you are following….and still then a pass is not a guarantee.

Much more to affecting a pass then just the pass itself.
Old 1 Jun 2022, 15:39 (Ref:4112421)   #124
Aysedasi
Back at Le Mans!
1% Club

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think so. It generally looks pretty easy from what I've been watching in the last few years. And most times, when within the 1 second, the pass is pretty close to a guarantee, IMO.

I just think DRS is a totally garbage dumbed-down way of giving drivers more opportunity to pass. But that doesn't mean that I have an ideal solution!
Old 1 Jun 2022, 16:25 (Ref:4112429)   #125
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it was easy to follow they wouldn’t have needed to change the rules/design this season no?

while we may be watching the same thing it’s clear we are seeing it very differently. All good of course!
Old 1 Jun 2022, 16:34 (Ref:4112432)   #126
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!
Well yes they should have cut the downforce sooner rather than put in artifical aids like DRS. It was a lazy solution that hasn’t solved the problem. I’m glad the cars have much less downforce, although the DRS still needs to go
Old 1 Jun 2022, 16:37 (Ref:4112436)   #127
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
As a side concern then, given the budget caps and their desire to keep them low, how long will it take for teams to generate the income necessary to design their way out to the dirty air/aero problems.

Rather, if it cost them several billion to develop along this path in the first place, it’ll take a whole lot more money to design their way out of it?

Spending money like drunken sailors imo was the lazy soulless path imo but the unintended consequence of the budget caps is that there is no longer enough money to fix it!
Old 1 Jun 2022, 16:41 (Ref:4112437)   #128
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!
Well hopefully they won’t need to spend too much. To be fair the rules have worked in making cars easier to follow, even if there is still a problem. So we shouldn’t be too concerned for now, as long as they keep things aero from getting out of control again. Money well spent IMO. And considering the budget cap is for the teams rather than the rulemakers, they should be able to keep things under control
Old 1 Jun 2022, 16:58 (Ref:4112441)   #129
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
NC, USA
Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard Casto is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
No, I don't think so. Application of throttle (and brake) at the right time have been part of the essential skills of racing drivers since racing began. Having a hole appear in your rear wing at set points on a circuit every lap is just that - there is no skill whatsoever involved and the pass which follows is soulless, 'spice it up for the viewers because they must have lots of overtaking' artificiality.

I agree though, DRS is not uniquely artificial. The rule set, the cars and the circuits all impose artificiality, but DRS is (for me) the worst example, which I have found increasingly offensive, particularly recently. I'm not a 'purist' but I think we all know something isn't quite right when the driver's skill married with the capabilities of his car has to be enhanced in this way. I guess we just have to accept that 'not quite right' is how it has to be, it's just how the 'not quite right' is currently managed that isn't...... quite right. Maybe I've been watching too much from Goodwood.....
So it's not about being artificial or not but tradition. Now I can agree with that.

Richard
Old 1 Jun 2022, 19:14 (Ref:4112463)   #130
Aysedasi
Back at Le Mans!
1% Club

England
Quote:
So it's not about being artificial or not but tradition. Now I can agree with that.

Richard
I don't think it's tradition either. I guess I don't know what it is. But DRS has gradually got my dander up more and more. Perhaps it has something to do with the thought that it wouldn't still be so necessary this season. On the other hand, perhaps I'm just getting old and a return to times where downforce wasn't such a controlling issue is really what I'd like and can't have....
Old 2 Jun 2022, 09:22 (Ref:4112526)   #131
S griffin
Veteran

I hark for a days when the quality of overtaking was more important than the quantity. Seeing someone breeze past on the straight is not a great overtaking move. The only driver in recent times who has done exciting moves regularly is Daniel Ricciardo