Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 15 Feb 2005, 22:54 (Ref:1226647)   #1
Pigit
Racer

United Kingdom
Bromley Kent
Pigit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rally of Kent

Anyone know were in Ashford they hold this event please ..thank's Paul......
Old 16 Feb 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1227177)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Assuming they use the same stages as previously the action will take place at challock and bedgebury, Ashford is the offical start and finish point (I think it was at the stour centre?) with service held at the Detling showground. There will be more detailed spectator info on the official website http://www.rallyofkent.co.uk/ nearer the event.

Last edited by BertMk2; 16 Feb 2005 at 13:07. Reason: Cretinous typos :)
Old 16 Feb 2005, 13:14 (Ref:1227185)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
send Sam Collins (ss-collins) a message as he is involved with the rally
Old 17 Feb 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1228354)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am... It starts at Eureka Leisure park- but the real action is in the afore mentioned woods.

Service is however NOT at detling, it is now at a new location. Rally HQ is Ashford International Hotel (Lovely place)
Old 17 Feb 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1228371)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Ahhh a quick word of warning. Last Saturday there was one of those dreaded mobile speed camera detection vans parked half way up Detling Hill so watch out if the rally goes that way!
Old 17 Feb 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1228379)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Ahhh a quick word of warning. Last Saturday there was one of those dreaded mobile speed camera detection vans parked half way up Detling Hill so watch out if the rally goes that way!
Because the fixed ones at the bottom of the hill aren't enough?
Old 17 Feb 2005, 16:58 (Ref:1228431)   #7
JamesC
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
JamesC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm very interested in coming to do a bit of photography - Kent is close... looks like there are some good cars...

So can anyone recommend a good place to stand?
Old 17 Feb 2005, 19:01 (Ref:1228572)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Because the fixed ones at the bottom of the hill aren't enough?

Yes, got nicked doing 63mph grrrrrrrrr.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1231763)   #9
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame on you Stephen!
Old 21 Feb 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1231900)   #10
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
James...anywhere but on the track! Actually Sam is the man to ask as he might have a map to hand soon that he could attach on here (?) I have only done stage 1 and stayed there all day for the return in the afternoon and that is very good in places and easy to get to. Lets see what Sam comes up with????
Old 22 Feb 2005, 00:05 (Ref:1231940)   #11
JamesC
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
Is the track ever a good place to be in motorsport? unless you've got a roll cage around you...

We shall await a map from Sam then!
Old 16 Mar 2005, 03:04 (Ref:1253075)   #12
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maps are now available in the spectator section of the website.

http://www.rallyofkent.co.uk/index.htm
Old 17 Mar 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1254563)   #13
JamesC
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
So is anybody going then?
Old 17 Mar 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1254608)   #14
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Going to start off in Kingswood (Challock) which is great stuff and probably meet up with some marshall mates lunchtime and do Kingswood in the afternoon and then have a beer or 2 at the awards afterwards (thats if Sam is buying! ). Might hit one of the other stages if time permits during the afternoon. Then its off to get the pictures to Autosport & MN. Unfortunately it won't get much of a mention in the mags but hopefully James Attwood will leave a bit of space for the event in MN.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1254611)   #15
JamesC
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
Now call me silly - but which stage is Challock? I can't see it on the event schedule.

Parking is marked on the map - but how early do we have to be there before the stage starts? I'm guessing that we can walk along the track to get to a position...
Old 17 Mar 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1254632)   #16
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I`ll be there - hoping that a certain Mr Baz isn`t in the background of all of my shots this year!!
Old 17 Mar 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1254687)   #17
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Thanks James, I thought it was just me having problems with the details on the website. They're not exactly the best I've seen.

For a start it would help if there were some directions or even an OS map reference. At least the map for the Challock stage includes the town of Challock so it's a good starting poiunt but the Bedgebury map gives no clues to where it actually is. Not much help if you aren't local and never been there before.

The timetable refers to stages 1/2 as Jacketts and stages 7/8 as Oathill but both are refered to on the map as Challock. Stage 12 is refered to as Louisa Lodge on the timetable and Bedgebury on the map. Are these actually the same places, if not which one is correct?

I notice the pdf version of the spectator info page refers to Octagon as owners of Brands Hatch so that must be at least a year, if not two, out of date. Doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence in any of the other details.

I'm tempted to go but it's a long drive to find out I don't know where I'm going and that the timetable may or may not be correct.

BTW, should this be in Trackside forum.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 08:02 (Ref:1255000)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Nigel, Challock is between Ashford and Faversham, nowhere near Bedgebury. If you look on the map you will see there is a gliding club at Challock. I hope that helps?
Old 18 Mar 2005, 08:58 (Ref:1255017)   #19
Elio
Veteran

There are grid reference details on the timetable/stage list which I trust is accurate - otherwise we`re all doomed! Go to getamap.com (or whatever it is, off the OS website) and you will get specific locations. Unfortunately, the stages do get given odd names (prersumably due to sponsorship) but it is fairly straightforward to link the "SS" denotations on the maps (ie Challock is SS1,2,7 & 8) to the listing.

Should be good - Stephen is bringing us the summery weather again - after a temporary one-year blip!!
Old 18 Mar 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1255027)   #20
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I'll pop down to Bedgebury to catch the action (it's only about 10 minutes from home).

James - walking down the stage is the easiest way to get to your vantage point (tight corners on the sections before the splits are best - preferably with a good view on the approach and exit) - just make sure you're in place before the action starts
Old 18 Mar 2005, 09:48 (Ref:1255047)   #21
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
Bedgebury map gives no clues to where it actually is. Not much help if you aren't local and never been there before.

Stage 12 is refered to as Louisa Lodge on the timetable and Bedgebury on the map. Are these actually the same places, if not which one is correct?
Bedgebury is near Goudhurst and Flimwell (I think Flimwell edges into the map shown on the site) it's just off the A21.

Louisa Lodge is a building within the Bedgebury forest, the stage goes past it so I guess that's why it's picked up that name (if you look on the map you can see Louisa Lodge marked on there - work back from the end of stage 12).

Hope that helps clear things up a bit
Old 18 Mar 2005, 16:41 (Ref:1255311)   #22
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Elio, I'll try but can't promise! At least it'll show you were not there on your own!! I'll probably have my Jimmy Johnson NASCAR cap on to save me getting hurt by stones as happened last year!!!
Old 18 Mar 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1255352)   #23
JamesC
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
I'll wear my $4 Newman NASCAR hat then! (black with blue and white stripe)

Brownie points to anyone who gets a shot! Tee hee hee...

How paranoid am I going to be now...

Last edited by JamesC; 18 Mar 2005 at 17:35.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1255372)   #24
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio
There are grid reference details on the timetable/stage list which I trust is accurate - otherwise we`re all doomed! Go to getamap.com (or whatever it is, off the OS website) and you will get specific locations. Unfortunately, the stages do get given odd names (prersumably due to sponsorship) but it is fairly straightforward to link the "SS" denotations on the maps (ie Challock is SS1,2,7 & 8) to the listing.
Hadn't spotted the OS refs on the timetable. I understand that SS means Special Stage and could make that link but the differing names made me wonder if it was correct.

As a local you probaably already know these things but it's neds to be made clearer for those who've not been there before. Chezza, if believe you and Sam have some involvement in this, if you have any influence over the website can you make that as a suggestion for next year. have a look at www.robinhoodforeststages.co.uk - their spectator info includes stage times, directions, OS map ref all in one easy to follow page.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1255377)   #25
Elio
Veteran

I have to agree with you redshoes that the website isn`t really that hot. There`s a lot of old, out-of-date stuff on there. The only bits of any relevance really are the entrylist and the four maps + timetable. Even these have only come online in the last week or so. That said, the info is better than last year!!! It was massively annoying going into the Challock stage last year at about 8am and suddenly realising the map you`d got off the website bore no resemblance to the actual stage being used!!! That`s why I made the comment about the timetable - best get there early just incase you find the stage starts an hour earlier than we all thought!