Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Oct 2022, 20:38 (Ref:4128227)   #251
Mary Bell
Rookie

Mary Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMary Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just brilliant
I think the stop was to fix a new wheel bearing.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Oct 2022, 01:55 (Ref:4128306)   #252
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So, the Spa weekend is not finished yet, and just to wish Team Delta all the best for the Team's next race....

Sunday 9:10am - 10:40am local time.... Gentleman Drivers with Dr Bob in his Lotus Elite.
Car #149 according to the entry list and for anyone following on live timing.
Old 2 Oct 2022, 06:28 (Ref:4128345)   #253
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well done to Delta & GDavid (he's a Gilbern driver this week!)
Old 2 Oct 2022, 07:47 (Ref:4128352)   #254
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
So, the Spa weekend is not finished yet, and just to wish Team Delta all the best for the Team's next race....

Sunday 9:10am - 10:40am local time.... Gentleman Drivers with Dr Bob in his Lotus Elite.
Car #149 according to the entry list and for anyone following on live timing.
https://livetiming.alkamelsystems.com/spasummerclassic
Underway now... Iain in the car to start and up to 28th after 6 laps from 34th on the grid. Just under an hour left.
Old 2 Oct 2022, 08:09 (Ref:4128355)   #255
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Ha, haaa, Dave, tu es passé maitre dans l'art d'interpréter les données informatiques et de les transformer en un excellent commentaire live! Bravo Ami.

Seeing the lap times, 3'36" for the E Type leading the race, I imagine heavy rain. Did you notice the best time, 3'23"77 of the Elan (Wilson/Pittard)? Much faster than any other car on the track. Impressed.
Old 2 Oct 2022, 18:18 (Ref:4128453)   #256
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Short report as internet via my hotspot is intermittent.
Thanks for times and positions reported above as I've no idea and the Alkamel timing site is shambolic - no results or hour-by-hour classification posted yet and it's almost 24 hrs later.
We were lucky with the weather, as Saturday progressed the updates kept improving from rain all day to cloudy but no rain before 7pm. The plan was for me to start and finish with Iain doing a maximum 2.5 hour stint in the middle. There was a clear excess of ambition over talent from the off, with cars going off into the new gravel Then a safety car at 5.20 was the opportunity for a slightly earlier driver swap, Iain keenly off in.to the fray and going well. A couple of light showers hardly slowed him at all. Darkness fell and at 7.35 he came in unexpectedly with a failed alternator. A quick swap by the team for a new one while I helmeted up got us back running in about 10 minutes.
By now it was pitch dark and light rain had started. Not too bad with the spots angled to show me the kerbs and apexes. The rain got heavier and the quick cars were throwing up spray so it was a case of avoiding their lines in order to see. i'd found a rhythm and was beginning to enjoy myself when on turn-in to Les Combes something clunked and it locked up solid. I took to the escape road, it stopped after 10 metres and even with a couple of burly marshals we couldn't shift it. Cue another safety car and a lengthy flatbed ride back to the pit. I'd messaged back in so the team were waiting with all the gear to work on the back end. Turned out to be a collapsed n/s/r wheel bearing - but we had spares, puller and all the right tools to do the job. So with Iain leading the team it was fixed in just under 40 minutes and I was off out again. Real team effort as at one point there were 6 of them all busy working on it.
By now the weather was filthy and one headlight was out so a bit of a challenge but I managed to keep out of trouble and make it to the flag. It was nice to be acknowledged by plenty of other teams for our finish as we made our way down the pitlane. So Gilbert duly completed his 5th Six Hours and still in one piece (but not necessarily the pieces he started with).
A great and thorughly enjoyable weekend and thanks must be recorded for all the team of pitcrew and mechanics - my son Alex and his pals Ralph and James, Steve Atkinson, Iain's son Stewart, my wife Jackie as team caterer and vintner, Mike and Callum Gray for moral support (as they'd had the awful luck of finding a cracked block on their E Type just before qualifying and had to scratch), and of course Iain for making a dream come true both last year and this.
Old 2 Oct 2022, 20:02 (Ref:4128457)   #257
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well done guys, true grit showing through. MaGnificent effort.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Oct 2022, 21:38 (Ref:4128472)   #258
Mary Bell
Rookie

Mary Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMary Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant report, thanks David, such drama. I agree the timing site was pants, at one stage it disappeared altogether. However little Gilbert and the best team did it again, what a car his fith 6 hours and after a busy year too what with our Clasic K races, the open series and my track days. Well done boys and Jackie, Mike was watching down willing you on.

Wow I'm just blown away. Safe trip home David and Jackie and best of luck to Team Delta for the next one. Is it Dijon or am I confusing it with mustard ?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 3 Oct 2022, 00:29 (Ref:4128485)   #259
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Great report David and glad to read Gilbert got through to the end albeit with a bit of work. Sounds like great support. Its a team game so well done to all.

Safe journey home and look forward to following the next adventure of Gilbert and the team.
Old 3 Oct 2022, 01:00 (Ref:4128491)   #260
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Agreed -well done all! Spa is a challenging place, and any finish is a victory!
Old 3 Oct 2022, 06:00 (Ref:4128502)   #261
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great to see you finish. The timing system was a bit worrying with you shown stopped and a SC simultaneously. Well done all.
Old 3 Oct 2022, 10:04 (Ref:4128519)   #262
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Well done gang!
It was a grey night!
Missed being with the cars in old pits. Lot less atmosphere running from new pits.
Somehow you miss some magic
Still best race of year but noticed less crowds, less entries and less UK entrants for meeting
The political situation throughout Europe bites?!
Old 3 Oct 2022, 10:55 (Ref:4128522)   #263
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Well done gang!
It was a grey night!
Missed being with the cars in old pits. Lot less atmosphere running from new pits.
Somehow you miss some magic
Still best race of year but noticed less crowds, less entries and less UK entrants for meeting
The political situation throughout Europe bites?!
Your blokes did well too. Agreed re entry levels, but the quality was there. Hoping to be back next year.
Old 3 Oct 2022, 17:34 (Ref:4128562)   #264
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Nice report David, thanks a lot. Congrats to all and specially the mechanics because if your car has a live rear axle and drums, changing the wheel bearing is not a piece of cake!
Old 4 Oct 2022, 13:43 (Ref:4128658)   #265
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great effort from the Gilbert crew, well done Iain, David and co in difficult conditions. True grit to achieve a finish and good planning in the spares department!
Old 4 Oct 2022, 18:55 (Ref:4128680)   #266
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Good evening chaps . Stuck in a IBIS 24 miles from Dijon . Me and Stew biked to the track today and I’m cream crackard . My report from Spa . We went back to old engine as the new one I built was breathing . It might of got better as the rings bedded in and indeed it went very well when I tested her on the road . Did not want to take a chance . David brought the car to Spa and sorted just about everything as I was running DrBob and Juniors . Went out for qualy and did couple of laps and all was good . David did his laps and we put new tyres on and David scrubbed them in ready for the race . Off he goes at the start and ran well for 90 mins or so . All good now my turn for 150 mins the max you are allowed to do . Gilbert going well but I am not enjoying the very poor driving Std from most of the GT 40. I was pushed of the track twice and also the Aston pushed me off . To be honest I was bored and pounding arround keeping out of everyone’s way . Hey Ho time rattled on and with 15 min to go I was saved as the Alternator light came on and by now it was dark so I pitted early to change the unit . It was a bit hit but we got it done in a few minuets . This left our David to finish off the race . After half an hour we see he has stopped . Getting messages back from the crew and we think it’s the diff . I give the team a brief on what needs to be done and we are ready to receive David from low loader and change the diff . The team were brilliant and everyone did their job . Just as I was pulling the near side half shaft it looked like the bearing had failed . Dissapointing as we had replaced all the bearings back at Delta HQ. Never mind we had the job done and got David back out for the last hour and to the finish . Conditions were awful this last few laps and David did us proud . ?. After 30 years of driving , team manager ., mechanic for the 6 hour this by far has been the worse with driving stds. I will have a long think as to weather all the time , prep, money is worth doing this race again .There were to many GT40’s with very poor driving . Hey Ho . We move on and Dr Bob and myself will drive in the 300K race at Dijon this weekend . Best wishes from the lonely race mechanic stuck in the IBIS .
Old 4 Oct 2022, 19:32 (Ref:4128682)   #267
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Good evening chaps . Stuck in a IBIS 24 miles from Dijon . Me and Stew biked to the track today and I’m cream crackard . My report from Spa . We went back to old engine as the new one I built was breathing . It might of got better as the rings bedded in and indeed it went very well when I tested her on the road . Did not want to take a chance . David brought the car to Spa and sorted just about everything as I was running DrBob and Juniors . Went out for qualy and did couple of laps and all was good . David did his laps and we put new tyres on and David scrubbed them in ready for the race . Off he goes at the start and ran well for 90 mins or so . All good now my turn for 150 mins the max you are allowed to do . Gilbert going well but I am not enjoying the very poor driving Std from most of the GT 40. I was pushed of the track twice and also the Aston pushed me off . To be honest I was bored and pounding arround keeping out of everyone’s way . Hey Ho time rattled on and with 15 min to go I was saved as the Alternator light came on and by now it was dark so I pitted early to change the unit . It was a bit hit but we got it done in a few minuets . This left our David to finish off the race . After half an hour we see he has stopped . Getting messages back from the crew and we think it’s the diff . I give the team a brief on what needs to be done and we are ready to receive David from low loader and change the diff . The team were brilliant and everyone did their job . Just as I was pulling the near side half shaft it looked like the bearing had failed . Dissapointing as we had replaced all the bearings back at Delta HQ. Never mind we had the job done and got David back out for the last hour and to the finish . Conditions were awful this last few laps and David did us proud . ?. After 30 years of driving , team manager ., mechanic for the 6 hour this by far has been the worse with driving stds. I will have a long think as to weather all the time , prep, money is worth doing this race again .There were to many GT40’s with very poor driving . Hey Ho . We move on and Dr Bob and myself will drive in the 300K race at Dijon this weekend . Best wishes from the lonely race mechanic stuck in the IBIS .
Brilliant report, Iain. Hearty congrats to you, David & the tea. Sorry to read your comments about driving standards, it is really sad.

Hadn't realised you were going on to Dijon when I invited you to tea! Oh well, another time. Being a Lotus man I would really like to catch-up with yourself & Bob somewhere.

Best of luck for Dijon.
Old 5 Oct 2022, 00:02 (Ref:4128697)   #268
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I may be missing something but still cannot see any 6 Hour results or hour-by-hour updates. Anyone have more luck than me and found a decent link please?
Old 5 Oct 2022, 00:10 (Ref:4128698)   #269
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
I may be missing something but still cannot see any 6 Hour results or hour-by-hour updates. Anyone have more luck than me and found a decent link please?
David try this link.... http://roadbook.alkamelsystems.com/

Page should open with all the events... click on 6 hour, then Race and it should open up a tree of Grid and hour by hour stuff.

Thanks for yours and Iain's reports. Great stuff and well done to the team. I was following from afar as well as the at times confusing live timing would allow..

CHeers
Chris
Old 5 Oct 2022, 13:38 (Ref:4128762)   #270
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Seems the balance of Six Hour entry is changing with more GT40's etc
Fifteen years ago the Sports Racers were banned when the larger cars started knocking the smaller cars off.
Sure is difficult for Vincent!
Old 5 Oct 2022, 18:28 (Ref:4128798)   #271
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
From EB's link I always find interesting to have a look to the maximum top speeds achieved. Of course, the top speed is only one parameter but if you add the best sector times it becomes quite interesting. A real headache too!

A thought for Iain stucked in his Ibis hotel which is in no way comparable to the Carlton or Martinez! Good luck for Dijon, weather forecast is good, cold and sunny weekend. Have fun and stay safe.
Old 11 Oct 2022, 14:16 (Ref:4129903)   #272
Guus
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Guus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pictures of the Gilbern and Galaxie

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZAT_2101 (1024x697).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	476.7 KB
ID:	76329

Name:	ZAT_2100 (1024x710).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	76330

Name:	ZAT_2310 (1024x677).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	533.1 KB
ID:	76331

Name:	ZAT_2072 (1024x683).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	76332
Old 12 Oct 2022, 13:25 (Ref:4130024)   #273
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
That’s a brilliant photo Gus . Have you captured . MG David . Richard Owen and HRTR5 all in one shot ?
Old 12 Oct 2022, 13:27 (Ref:4130025)   #274
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Just looked again and it’s me .?
Old 12 Oct 2022, 20:33 (Ref:4130064)   #275
Guus
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Guus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Picture Gilbern

I'm sorry I don't got them in one shot ! Got another one for you, photo was taken at 16.29 h. so can you remember who was behind the steering wheel ?
Attached Thumbnails
ZAT_1945 (1280x895).jpg