Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Oct 2022, 10:05 (Ref:4131619)   #126
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that rolling starts are inherently safer.
Of course, a rolling start might be less risky, but still remains and intense and dangerous part of the race

Why am I so convinced that standing starts are more dangerrous ?

I have just done a weekend of HSCC racing.
one of the starts involved a car that failed to start at all and remained stationary
If this happens near the front, the backmarkers are doing over 60 mph by the time they arrive at the scene of the potential accident

I had one car stall two rows in front of my, we got by safely, but it was hairy

Rolling starts do require skill, but its a different skill set from standing starts
Less car control, more tactical routine as to where to positon yourself in the pack

I understand that a first corner accident might end up beeing more severy in connection with a rolling start

in my experience
rolling starts are not handled fairly in the UK
no overtaking before crossing the start finish line is neither oberserved nor policed
buut, this has gotten better over the last few years

RuE
Old 4 Nov 2022, 19:31 (Ref:4132650)   #127
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While not strictly a historic meeting, the Walter Hayes Trophy is organised by the HSCC and it is good to see entry levels for the annual Formula Ford bonanza holding up well with over a hundred entries in the main competition. Good luck to Iain and Rudolf and any other Tenthers competing this weekend and hope everyone has a good and safe weekend.
Old 4 Nov 2022, 20:31 (Ref:4132655)   #128
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Good luck to Iain and Rudolf and any other Tenthers competing this weekend and hope everyone has a good and safe weekend.
Ditto.
I am off the the Sandown Historic this weekend. Was out there yesterday.... usual full entry of over 400 cars.... everything from F5000 to Sports Cars, Historic Tourers, and a special 60th birthday bash for MGBs (and assorted MGs)

https://vhrr.com/wp/sandown/
Old 5 Nov 2022, 00:29 (Ref:4132664)   #129
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a great looking entry list, Chris, hope you have a good time and the weather is set fair for the weekend. Interesting to see each group of cars has two relatively short races each day rather than one longer one.
Old 7 Nov 2022, 10:25 (Ref:4132861)   #130
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Ditto.
I am off the the Sandown Historic this weekend. Was out there yesterday.... usual full entry of over 400 cars.... everything from F5000 to Sports Cars, Historic Tourers, and a special 60th birthday bash for MGBs (and assorted MGs)

https://vhrr.com/wp/sandown/
Given half the chance I'd be there like a shot, bit of stretch from blighty but it sure beats Sillystone despite my love of FFords.
Old 7 Nov 2022, 11:56 (Ref:4132867)   #131
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Given half the chance I'd be there like a shot, bit of stretch from blighty but it sure beats Sillystone despite my love of FFords.
There was a live streeam which is still online if anyone is interested.
Saturday https://youtu.be/ZF3CDbL_VUQ
Sunday. https://youtu.be/2_phOq0QARY
Old 7 Nov 2022, 13:07 (Ref:4132876)   #132
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
There was a live streeam which is still online if anyone is interested.
Saturday https://youtu.be/ZF3CDbL_VUQ
Sunday. https://youtu.be/2_phOq0QARY
Old 7 Nov 2022, 16:34 (Ref:4132905)   #133
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Once a year I dig out the Alexis and its great fun. Probably need to take the meeting a bit more seriously but I am still not finishing dead last so I will carry on racing in the WHT. Must say I did go and watch the two semi finals and very impressed with the driving from the youngsters. Good that fellow Cornishman won. That's it now for me and team Delta. 25 race meetings and lost count on how many races. Highlight was winning performance of index at Le mans with Dr Bob. Now then where that license renewal form.
Old 8 Nov 2022, 03:45 (Ref:4132956)   #134
raspritz
Rookie

raspritz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here in the USA I have only ever done rolling starts. By contrast, my European (FJ) race starts have all been standing. I cannot count the number of crashes (some major) I've seen in rolling starts. I have yet to see a contact incident in a standing start. This is by no means a head-to-head comparison, and there are many confounding variables, but I have come to prefer standing starts.
Old 8 Nov 2022, 16:21 (Ref:4133010)   #135
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by raspritz View Post
Here in the USA I have only ever done rolling starts. By contrast, my European (FJ) race starts have all been standing. I cannot count the number of crashes (some major) I've seen in rolling starts. I have yet to see a contact incident in a standing start. This is by no means a head-to-head comparison, and there are many confounding variables, but I have come to prefer standing starts.

On reflection
this very much depends on the power or power to weight ratio of ones car.
Riccardo Paletti died while crashing at 120 mph into back of Didier Pironis Ferrari.
thats the worst case scenario, somebody from the last row of the grid crashing into the polesitter
which is why Paletti died

mid grid incidents in FJ would involve much less energy
Old 8 Nov 2022, 17:26 (Ref:4133016)   #136
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But with much less protection?

The start is hairy whether it's rolling start or standing but it's part of the buzz and the reason we do (did in my case) the sport.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk