Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Sep 2022, 13:58 (Ref:4126584)   #51
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
BTW, what happened to the Dumas Cobra towards the end of the race - I didn't see any replays of him going off or coming to a halt?
Broken throttle cable in the dying stages, great battle with Sheddon up until then and he drove very well to win with the Ford Galaxy in St Mary's trophy, always been quick in Porsches and Audis.
Old 20 Sep 2022, 14:33 (Ref:4126589)   #52
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Broken throttle cable in the dying stages, great battle with Sheddon up until then and he drove very well to win with the Ford Galaxy in St Mary's trophy, always been quick in Porsches and Audis.
Thanks for that. That Cobra battle was very entertaining!
Old 20 Sep 2022, 20:06 (Ref:4126625)   #53
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A couple of batches from Madgwick on Friday:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0253.jpg   IMG_0362.jpg   IMG_0397.jpg  

IMG_0716.jpg   IMG_0957 1.jpg   IMG_1022.jpg  

Old 20 Sep 2022, 20:08 (Ref:4126627)   #54
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A gallery is here: https://motorsportintheuk.co.uk/p1044695217
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1026.jpg   IMG_1692.jpg   IMG_1700.jpg  

IMG_1794.jpg   IMG_2017.jpg   IMG_2107.jpg  

Old 20 Sep 2022, 20:18 (Ref:4126630)   #55
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What did that V16 sound like?
Old 20 Sep 2022, 20:50 (Ref:4126632)   #56
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
What did that V16 sound like?
Not as good as V12 Matra in my opinion but then again nothing really comes close.
Old 21 Sep 2022, 08:31 (Ref:4126660)   #57
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Was the BRM being restrained? While the ERAs have been refined to better than original, I would have though the BRM would be quicker on the straights at least.
Old 21 Sep 2022, 08:36 (Ref:4126663)   #58
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
Was the BRM being restrained? While the ERAs have been refined to better than original, I would have though the BRM would be quicker on the straights at least.
The BRM was period correct in every way. It looked great, screamed a loud and wonderful song and then broke.
Old 21 Sep 2022, 10:52 (Ref:4126675)   #59
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Plus ca change , plus ca la meme chose .

I have seen the V16 several times and whilst undeniably impressive I do find the noise bordering on the hysterical . I prefer BRM and Matra V12s , and the flat twelves in Ferrari 312B and 312T . Oh, and the gorgeous little 1.5 in the 1512 . But - and it may be blasphemy on a historical thread - my favourite engine note by a big margin was the extraordinary Toyota V10 F1 TF105 of 2005. Seismic rumbles , bangs and clicks at low revs and the most soul stirring , doomy howl to 19,000rpm . Amazing
Old 21 Sep 2022, 13:25 (Ref:4126714)   #60
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
We've already discussed this, but don't forget you need to be a GRRC member to be invited. Or you have to join before you appear on the grid.

Also not sure there were that many "works" cars anyway.
Not true, you do not have to be a member to be invited to the Revival.

You're mixing it up with the Members Meeting where membership is a requirement - the clue is in the name......

I was a member for many years but let it lapse a few years ago, I still got an invite because the car was right for the Madgwick Cup this year.
Old 21 Sep 2022, 13:58 (Ref:4126723)   #61
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah thanks for the correction. As you say I am mixing it up with the members meeting.
Old 23 Sep 2022, 14:14 (Ref:4126995)   #62
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Methinks he killed the car driving at that speed!
Certainly not a pukka FIA E Type
Old 23 Sep 2022, 16:40 (Ref:4127013)   #63
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Certainly not a pukka FIA E Type
Autosport described it thus:

Last weekend’s Revival was a little less subtle. In the TT, 2009 F1 world champion Jenson Button stormed off into a 20s lead aboard Adrian Newey’s E-type. It was visibly pulling away from the Cobra-led competition on the straights, just like it wouldn’t have done in period.

Even on a screen, it looked squatter and more slammed than its fellow Jags. To enter the race, the car obviously passed scrutineering. But this appeared very much a Goodwood ‘hot rod’ special.
Old 23 Sep 2022, 17:32 (Ref:4127020)   #64
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I may well be entirely mistaken here, but I cannot recall any of the Newey cars, such as the Jag and the GT40, being present over the last couple of years. I assumed that this was because they had proved to be considerably swifter than other cars of that period that they were supposed to be competing with, and therefore Goodwood had invited them to the Revival.

As I commented on the Spa thread, one has to wonder how original a lot of these cars actually are and whether they were only created very recently!
Old 23 Sep 2022, 17:54 (Ref:4127027)   #65
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I may well be entirely mistaken here, but I cannot recall any of the Newey cars, such as the Jag and the GT40, being present over the last couple of years. I assumed that this was because they had proved to be considerably swifter than other cars of that period that they were supposed to be competing with, and therefore Goodwood had invited them to the Revival.

As I commented on the Spa thread, one has to wonder how original a lot of these cars actually are and whether they were only created very recently!

It's Spa 6 hrs next week with a fleet of GT40's and Cobras the great majority of which have been built in last ten years.
If you own a proper GT40 why risk it when you can race a copy that costs 10:20% of an original. The decision then is to replicate the original or make what is effectively a hot rod.
Old 24 Sep 2022, 09:14 (Ref:4127076)   #66
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
It's Spa 6 hrs next week with a fleet of GT40's and Cobras the great majority of which have been built in last ten years. If you own a proper GT40 why risk it when you can race a copy that costs 10:20% of an original. The decision then is to replicate the original or make what is effectively a hot rod.
Pretty understandable. Works with many other cars I guess.
Old 24 Sep 2022, 13:22 (Ref:4127096)   #67
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Most of the cars are new
Most of the cars are hot rods

The TT and St MArys are like whacky races

It is a profitable industry for many and makes a great spectacle.

History has been rewritten for so long now most people have forgotten what it was actually like
Old 24 Sep 2022, 19:19 (Ref:4127144)   #68
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Most of the cars are new

History has been rewritten for so long now most people have forgotten what it was actually like
Combe today was much closer to what it was actually like. At least as I remember it, though it’s a long time ago.
Old 27 Sep 2022, 00:09 (Ref:4127592)   #69
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was Brian Redman at Goodwood 2022? :-)
Old 28 Sep 2022, 07:55 (Ref:4127716)   #70
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Most of the cars are new

The new generation doesn't know and does not care, it reflects our time, it's no longer about racing a historic car or even replicating it, I mean clones have been around forever. Today it's about winning the Goodwood Revival. It's horse racing and there are clear owners, jockeys and the people that make it all go round.

If people are dumb enough to believe an E Type can pull away from a Cobra in a straight line, well I bet they've never looked at an old Autosport or have any interest in the historic part of the sport!
Old 28 Sep 2022, 08:21 (Ref:4127720)   #71
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post

If people are dumb enough to believe an E Type can pull away from a Cobra in a straight line, well I bet they've never looked at an old Autosport or have any interest in the historic part of the sport!
Some of us know
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Sep 2022, 10:35 (Ref:4127740)   #72
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The new generation doesn't know and does not care, it reflects our time, it's no longer about racing a historic car or even replicating it, I mean clones have been around forever. Today it's about winning the Goodwood Revival. It's horse racing and there are clear owners, jockeys and the people that make it all go round.

Agreed and does anyone recall this, from 2015 - Mark Evans re the build of 6 new lightweight E Types to 'use up the 6 unallocated chassis numbers'.

"Should Jaguar meddle with history?

One of the best clips in the show is when he visits the Goodwood Members’ Meeting and the owner of original #01 explains why the newcomers shouldn’t be allowed to race as they are essentially brand new cars. And in a fascinating interview with Lord March, the earl and historic motorsport bigwig dismisses the 2015 Lightweights as ‘replicas’ and says they wouldn’t be welcome to race at Goodwood."

How are we left??
Old 28 Sep 2022, 17:45 (Ref:4127785)   #73
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

I was around when E-Types didn't pull away from Cobras. But Goodwood isn't a historical re-enactment any more than a Forties weekend or a Beatles tribute band . If it were there'd be dreadful food, an all pervasive smell of cheap cigarettes , a crowd dressed in cheap and nasty clothes, frequent injuries , amateur marshalling, non existent medical care and your ticket would cost 10 shillings.

It's a pantomime where reality takes the weekend off and a good time is had by all. Old racers can never be period correct and it's disingenuous to think they can be , or should be. It's a fabulous event which offers fantastic racing and the opportunity to see some extraordinary drivers from past and present . And if an A 40 is faster than it really has any right to be , or an E-Type has nearer 400bhp than 300 I really don't lose any sleep about it .
Old 28 Sep 2022, 18:24 (Ref:4127787)   #74
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
It's a pantomime where reality takes the weekend off and a good time is had by all.
Agreed, I recognized a lot of the irregularities right from the first Revival particularly the indecent speeds of some vehicles mainly in the TT and St Mary's races but quickly accepted it for what it is.
It's entertaining, it's colourful, spectacular and the drivers and spectators love it. If the pedantics want to pull it to pieces then so be it but having been to the Le Mans classics several times I'm not at all sure that all the participating vehicles there were period correct either except in outward appearance.
Old 28 Sep 2022, 21:04 (Ref:4127794)   #75
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
So in short, no one cares for history, just an easy time in comfy shoes and instant plastic gratification.

Historic racing is dead, sold its soul to the money men