Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Jun 2007, 07:36 (Ref:1946993)   #1
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Classic July 27-29th July, 2007

Any one Doing this event? Anyone done it before?
Old 26 Jun 2007, 07:48 (Ref:1946998)   #2
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a really good event. Huge numbers of race cars and a number of huge motor homes mean paddock pandamonium but that goes with the territory I guess. Good for drivers on the historic GP circuit, and for spectators (the few that know they can see the same Revival cars and more in an accessable fashion).

I will certainly be there (tho' what in I am not sure yet - depends upon grid availability for the 18/21, bonnet etc issues with the 17 (see youtube etc)) but am co-driving a Morgan in the BRDC 500 so that'll be great fun at least.

Recommended.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 07:52 (Ref:1947000)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent,it seem,s as though I,ll be in a DB2,got asked yesterday.It,s proving a bit awkward typing with my fingers crossed though.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 08:10 (Ref:1947014)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I'll be in a DB2, got asked yesterday.
You lucky .......... so and so!

And, Peter, nice drive, in interesting conditions, last Sunday!
Old 26 Jun 2007, 08:26 (Ref:1947027)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yes I thought so to John,it,s the one I drove at LM in 05,Ex Chinese Rally car,a bit on the heavey side but still a lovely thing to drive,don,t think I,ll be collecting a lap record though,
Old 26 Jun 2007, 10:21 (Ref:1947122)   #6
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I plan to be there with the full compliment - Corvette in Gentlemen Drivers, Cortina in HSCC HRSR and Elva Mk7 in the combined Sports Racing Masters/World Sportscar Masters race.

Roger
Old 26 Jun 2007, 12:30 (Ref:1947203)   #7
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup,

Will be there in (gulp!) four races - the two HSCC roadsports races in the SZ, the Gentleman Drivers in the SZ, and co-driving a GTA in the HRSR.

Of course when I entered for these, I forgot about the three practice sessions as well. Busy weekend! Still, if it's hot, it's a good way to lose weight!!

Regards,

James
Old 26 Jun 2007, 13:26 (Ref:1947242)   #8
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
It's a great weekend, but sadly it clashes head on with Spa 24 Hours, and FIA GTs...
Old 26 Jun 2007, 14:49 (Ref:1947303)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Roger, I thought that the twin cams were not being invited into the WSM race? lucky you if you have persuaded them differently....
Old 26 Jun 2007, 15:57 (Ref:1947352)   #10
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
Roger, I thought that the twin cams were not being invited into the WSM race? lucky you if you have persuaded them differently....

Actually you may be right. Just checked my notes and I have a question mark beside it. Apparently it is a combined WSM and SRM race so rear-small-engine cars are maybe not eligible!
Old 26 Jun 2007, 16:06 (Ref:1947361)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
Actually you may be right. Just checked my notes and I have a question mark beside it. Apparently it is a combined WSM and SRM race so rear-small-engine cars are maybe not eligible!
take it anyway - you might get lucky!
Old 26 Jun 2007, 18:33 (Ref:1947485)   #12
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Masters Sports Car Race: Only big engines allowed in race.Good thing they put those 2 litre BMW engines in those 1965 race cars!
Pre War sports car race and Vscc Not bad
Old 27 Jun 2007, 07:00 (Ref:1947825)   #13
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John (Turner), thank you - that's kind. It was getting harder to find grip as the rain started to fall..... Forgive me, in waht capacity were you there?
Old 27 Jun 2007, 10:05 (Ref:1947975)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The usual spectator mode, trying to keep my camera dry and one of about 6 people watching from Abbey - in fact the only one by the last couple of races! Will hopefully get around to putting some pics up on that meeting thread, eventually.

James, looks like you are going to have a great (and busy!) weekend!

Roger, looking forward to seeing the big Corvette, at last!

And (almost!) approval from John R; can't be bad!
Old 27 Jun 2007, 10:23 (Ref:1947991)   #15
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I might go along for an hour or so! Seriously, spare a thought for all the girls and boys in orange - it's going to be three long days for them, whatever the weather. John - shall look forward to the photos and report - you see so much more than I do .......and if anybody on here needs my help, you know where I am.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 10:29 (Ref:1947994)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
I might go along for an hour or so! Seriously, spare a thought for all the girls and boys in orange - it's going to be three long days for them, whatever the weather. John - shall look forward to the photos and report - you see so much more than I do .......and if anybody on here needs my help, you know where I am.
I for one always spare a thought,I often wonder why they do it but am truely gratefull that they are there!!I,ll give a wave [Light Blue Aston DB2],at the moment!MIGHT be in something else as well yet
Old 27 Jun 2007, 11:24 (Ref:1948028)   #17
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I for one always spare a thought,I often wonder why they do it but am truely gratefull that they are there!!
Terence - a simple generalisation is the same motivation as St John Ambulance, Red Cross, Special Constabulary etc.but for petrolheads!
Plus, of course they get some of the best views in the house, feel part of what goes on and have a great sense of pride in being part of a professional team. Unfortunately, their numbers are shrinking - I suspect the day will come when we have CCTV and fast response vehicles....but that's for other threads
Old 27 Jun 2007, 14:30 (Ref:1948160)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Point taken,but what about the extremes of weather ?. Still a very hardy bunch,and of course ,absolutly vital to racing!
Old 27 Jun 2007, 22:22 (Ref:1948586)   #19
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is THE event in the year. I have had some very enjoyable days during this meeting. Neither of them including women either! Good racing, good company and real sunshine!
I'm extremely jealous about not driving. Hope I dont't get to see you at closer quarters though!

Yep come and join us on the bank!

I will be doing all 3 days whilst I still can asI'm under the knife in the next few months!

Last edited by Robin_D; 27 Jun 2007 at 22:27.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 11:15 (Ref:1953313)   #20
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
I plan to be there with the full compliment - Corvette in Gentlemen Drivers, Cortina in HSCC HRSR and Elva Mk7 in the combined Sports Racing Masters/World Sportscar Masters race.

Roger
Jealous. Of you, Terrance and James!!!! One day soon I'll be able to post on here and say that I'm driving and not watching! (and yes I should be there - will hopefully drive the spitfire up but it won't be race ready until next year at least).
Old 3 Jul 2007, 20:38 (Ref:1953702)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Rocket
Jealous. Of you, Terrance and James!!!! One day soon I'll be able to post on here and say that I'm driving and not watching! (and yes I should be there - will hopefully drive the spitfire up but it won't be race ready until next year at least).
Don,t be jealous Red,if you do come over into the paddock then come say hello,Light Blue Metalic DB2.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 07:51 (Ref:1953959)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
but a long distance race has to be in teh evening because I bought some really expensive lights a few years ago and they are now gathering dust!!!
Seriously speaking I fully appreciate what you are saying and acknowledge that without a shift system it would never work. However I am still interested to know how Spa do it as they are running it at teh end of a full day not finishing until 10pm (midnight previously)
One would hope that those "Expensive Lights "will not be making an apparence at the Six hour!
Old 4 Jul 2007, 08:02 (Ref:1953971)   #23
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
One would hope that those "Expensive Lights "will not be making an apparence at the Six hour!
not Spa because they have banned them ;-(
they are fantastic you can see be at the top the pitlane at Spa and see teh whole length of it
probably not that period I agree!
Old 4 Jul 2007, 12:23 (Ref:1954159)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
not Spa because they have banned them ;-(
they are fantastic you can see be at the top the pitlane at Spa and see teh whole length of it
probably not that period I agree!
Just checking you read the new Reg,s Simon,Why do you need lights along the pit straight? I turn mine off to save the battery!
Old 15 Jul 2007, 20:53 (Ref:1963869)   #25
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Classic July 27-29th July, 2007

seeing as no one has started it with less than two weeks to go, I just thought i'd ask who's going & in what race / capacity / etc, I know you may have a drive Terry (Bower)
Chris