Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Jul 2019, 20:29 (Ref:3918911)   #5251
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
No only did he make the regulars look stupid now the Championship has joined in as well.
In what way did he make regulars look stupid?

Those who understand the situation a bit deeper will recognise that the times were probably 'assisted', but those same people will not have their interest in the series swayed much by publicity.

Those who are not as well versed on the multitude of factors that can affect a car's time will be attracted by the publicity. With what happened in the tyre test, the series has a driver who is known outside of the BTCC and a brand that is not competing in 2019 doing something that allows them to run a story in media that can be portrayed in a positive light.

It's easy to sit at a keyboard and throw criticism at what happened, but I expect the organisers of the series care little about a small minority of 'hot air blowers' compared to the RAR Club who bring fans, money and support to the track each and every race weekend.
Old 23 Jul 2019, 05:32 (Ref:3918955)   #5252
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting Autosprt podcast this week. They discuss the dominance of the WSR BMWs and hypothesise what TOCA will do about it before the season resumes.
Old 23 Jul 2019, 06:48 (Ref:3918961)   #5253
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Interesting Autosprt podcast this week. They discuss the dominance of the WSR BMWs and hypothesise what TOCA will do about it before the season resumes.
Yes, I listened to the first half of that yesterday lunchtime and am just about to listen to the rest of it...
Old 23 Jul 2019, 08:47 (Ref:3918975)   #5254
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
....but I expect the organisers of the series care little about a small minority of 'hot air blowers' compared to the RAR Club who bring fans, money and support to the track each and every race weekend.
I also suspect the organisers care very little about the 'hot air blowers' or 'the RAR club' - both very small groups with no real clout.

Austin topped the time on the final session but that time was only the 6th best of the test overall - so unless the cars that had quicker times were also on glory runs then his performance isn't all that impressive.
Old 25 Jul 2019, 05:48 (Ref:3919262)   #5255
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In what way did he make regulars look stupid?

Those who understand the situation a bit deeper will recognise that the times were probably 'assisted', but those same people will not have their interest in the series swayed much by publicity.

Those who are not as well versed on the multitude of factors that can affect a car's time will be attracted by the publicity. With what happened in the tyre test, the series has a driver who is known outside of the BTCC and a brand that is not competing in 2019 doing something that allows them to run a story in media that can be portrayed in a positive light.

It's easy to sit at a keyboard and throw criticism at what happened, but I expect the organisers of the series care little about a small minority of 'hot air blowers' compared to the RAR Club who bring fans, money and support to the track each and every race weekend.
Sorry forgot the UK lives in a time now where nobody can have an opinion without getting slagged. If you race all year and a now one off nobody arrives and instantly goes fast I would have thought that makes all the regulars look pretty under par .....
Old 25 Jul 2019, 05:57 (Ref:3919264)   #5256
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If you race all year and a now one off nobody arrives and instantly goes fast I would have thought that makes all the regulars look pretty under par .....
You do realise that HMS Racing/Rob Austin are not one off nobody's?
Old 25 Jul 2019, 07:26 (Ref:3919270)   #5257
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well they sure ain’t WSR, 888 , Prodrive or Dynamics....
Old 25 Jul 2019, 07:40 (Ref:3919271)   #5258
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
What I do realise is that they are not on the roster for 2019 through deciding to surrender their entry to another team to enter in their place.
I dont recall any other time that this has happened and the BTCC administrator still lets them compete on test days or the site gives coverage to them. Can Dan Welch rock up as he must still have his Proton? or anyone with a suitable car and a dream turn out for a tyre test now?

My understanding is that they are still looking to see if they can comeback in 2020, it isnt a given so effectively at the moment they are nothing more than trialists.

If they are going to come back then good luck to them but I don't understand why a team with no ability to compete in 2019 is afforded time on an official test day
Old 25 Jul 2019, 07:46 (Ref:3919273)   #5259
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
If they are going to come back then good luck to them but I don't understand why a team with no ability to compete in 2019 is afforded time on an official test day
Few £££ in Lord Gow's pocket probably
Old 25 Jul 2019, 09:17 (Ref:3919278)   #5260
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Few £££ in Lord Gow's pocket probably
Didn't they also let Mr Gow test the car sometime last year too? (I think they've 'cosied up' to him before...)
Old 25 Jul 2019, 09:19 (Ref:3919279)   #5261
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I see nothing wrong with letting him do it, after all he's looking to make a comeback next season, so he needs to be prepared
Old 25 Jul 2019, 09:44 (Ref:3919281)   #5262
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I see nothing wrong with letting him do it, after all he's looking to make a comeback next season, so he needs to be prepared
Agreed but dont pop up and take the p!ss
Old 25 Jul 2019, 09:48 (Ref:3919282)   #5263
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well they sure ain’t WSR, 888 , Prodrive or Dynamics....
And why would any of those teams want to top the timesheets in a test anyway? When I go testing there are many things I work through, going for an out and out fastest lap with low fuel, new tyres, no ballast etc is not one of them.

I don't see what Austin did as taking the ****. He wasn't the fastest over both days just the fastest in one session which got him the coverage he needed. I don't see the other teams having an issue with it and they would all have done exactly the same. It's happened in F1 several times so if it's not an issue there I don't see why it would be in BTCC.
Old 25 Jul 2019, 10:36 (Ref:3919284)   #5264
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
I don't see what Austin did as taking the ****. He wasn't the fastest over both days just the fastest in one session which got him the coverage he needed. I don't see the other teams having an issue with it and they would all have done exactly the same. It's happened in F1 several times so if it's not an issue there I don't see why it would be in BTCC.

Im not as in touch with F1 as I used to be but I dont recall a time when a team who were not allowed to be competing in the championship turned up at an official FIA test and were given free access to the track and then lauded with how great their test session was on the official media outlets.

If anything I recall times teams turning up on the off chance of being given a run out (Stefan F1 who wanted a licence to race, Phoenix F1 who thought they had one to name a couple) being turned away
Old 25 Jul 2019, 16:47 (Ref:3919319)   #5265
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Don't worry mate. Mr G says if I borrow the neighbours lads tricked up Fester that I can come and play too. I'll show these idiots that winning times only needs a wicked exhaust and some fancy rims on an ST 'init bruv.
Old 25 Jul 2019, 17:01 (Ref:3919323)   #5266
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Im not as in touch with F1 as I used to be but I dont recall a time when a team who were not allowed to be competing in the championship turned up at an official FIA test and were given free access to the track and then lauded with how great their test session was on the official media outlets.
Sorry to state the obvious, but this isn't F1

I don't really see the problem. It was a current spec BTCC car, driven by a recent ex-BTCC driver, and run by a team who technically still hold a valid TBL (albeit one they have lent to someone else).

Don't recall any complaints that a team owner, the son of a team co-owner, and two former series drivers also took part in the test.
Old 25 Jul 2019, 17:03 (Ref:3919324)   #5267
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

I don't really see the problem. It was a current spec BTCC car, driven by a recent ex-BTCC driver, and run by a team who technically still hold a valid TBL (albeit one they have lent to someone else).

Don't recall any complaints that a team owner, the son of a team co-owner, and two former series drivers also took part in the test.
They all most likely ran within the rules.....?
Old 25 Jul 2019, 17:06 (Ref:3919326)   #5268
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
They all most likely ran within the rules.....?
So you can't be certain that the others ran within the rules, but are certain that Austin ran outside of the rules?

What are these actual rules you refer to though?
Old 25 Jul 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3919327)   #5269
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

Sorry to state what you missed, but as you will have seen from the context on my quote I was kind of already pointing this out to the guy who said "It's happened in F1 several times so if it's not an issue there I don't see why it would be in BTCC." - im still waiting for his example where this happened in F1 several times

The other drivers you refer to were working for teams which have a current valid licence not one they gave away and may not even retain for 2020

Last edited by btccbloke; 25 Jul 2019 at 17:28.
Old 25 Jul 2019, 17:28 (Ref:3919330)   #5270
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Sorry to state what you missed, but as you will have seen from the context on my quote....
Sorry, should have quoted the other post. It was more a comment on any comparison to F1 rather than specifically what you posted.
Old 25 Jul 2019, 19:38 (Ref:3919349)   #5271
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's just a test session. The fact it is official just means that it is for btcc cars only and there is official lap timing. So long as a driver / team are using a current spec btcc car, it doesn't matter if they are entered to race the season or not. It's not as if they were testing during FP1 or 2 or even during qualifying during a race weekend.
Old 26 Jul 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3919399)   #5272
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Remember they used to GBRM Test Toyota running alongside the championship regulars. So there's nothing new there
Old 26 Jul 2019, 09:16 (Ref:3919401)   #5273
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
In order to retain their TBL, HMS Racing are still a registered team with TOCA.
Official test sessions are open to all registered teams.
The cost of testing is split equally between all participating/registered teams; their participation will have brought the cost down for every other team taking part, so everyone benefits....
Old 26 Jul 2019, 09:19 (Ref:3919404)   #5274
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Don't worry, it's Snetterton a week tomorrow, we will all have something proper to discuss then...
Old 26 Jul 2019, 11:25 (Ref:3919423)   #5275
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Remember they used to GBRM Test Toyota running alongside the championship regulars. So there's nothing new there
True but they were testing something new, because the NGTC regs were not in place, unless HMS were taking the sabbatical to develop the hybrid system I don't see that as the same.
Anyway, as said probably time to move on, I'm still surprised we are at the half. Way point and still have the same 30 bums in seats