Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 29 Oct 2004, 12:16 (Ref:1139806)   #1
Jedi088
Rookie

Jedi088 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hillclimb Exhaust/Silencer Regs

What are the changes to the regs for 2005 that effect exhaust exit point (mentioned by Paul Parker in HSA mag) and why are these changes required.
Old 29 Oct 2004, 13:30 (Ref:1139882)   #2
Paul Ranson
Racer

Paul Ranson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the current regs E12.16.6 states,

"Have all exhaust outlets terminating behind the mid-point of the wheelbase of the vehicle and outside the bodywork periphery in plan view. Side exhausts not to protrude more than 4cm"

This is changing to,

"Have all exhaust outlets terminating behind the mid-point of the wheelbase of the vehicle and within 15cm of the outside the bodywork periphery in plan view. Side exhausts not to protrude more than 4cm. For vehicles other than racing cars that are not fitted with enveloping bodywork any side exhaust may not extend beyond the plane through the outside of the front and rear tyres with the front wheels in the straightahead position"

The first change makes the current fast hillclimb single seaters legal. I think there's an environmental benefit to putting the silencers into the sidepods, and I suppose nobody could find a good reason not to allow it. The second change clarifies what 'protrude more than 4cm' means to something like a Caterham with its entire exhaust outside the bodywork and occupying rather more than 4cm of protrusion.

Or something. I think the second change will catch a few Westfield and Caterham tail pipes. I presume the scrutineers aren't going to get any more anal about that than they did about the championship winning racing car over the last couple of years.

Paul
Old 29 Oct 2004, 14:20 (Ref:1139919)   #3
Jedi088
Rookie

Jedi088 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that did not bother getting race licence this year so no blue book or motorsport now updates and just wondered what the fuss is all about.
Old 18 Dec 2004, 15:08 (Ref:1182597)   #4
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Ill Eagle Hillclimbers

Further to Paul's point not ALL over two-litre hillclimb cars were illegal. It was only those where the exhaust exited on the top of the sidepod which was patently within the plan view.

I was somewhat disappointed that there wasn't a protest in 2004 as it would have shaken up the TOP TWELVE on the day.

Mind you the weather at Gurston Down can always be relied upon!