Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Jun 2000, 03:32 (Ref:17676)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
when night falls on this years Le man 24hr race a new innovation from Cadillac will make its debut..night vision.

night vision is a revelutionary device that will help the drivers through the long night section of the event by having a screen in front of the steering wheel which will show infra red heat on the screen so drivers will be able to spot obstacles like other cars that may have crashed ..freshly dropped oil or hot car parts so they have a better chance of avoiding any of it.

dont know how well this system will work but it sure sounds exciting and im sure in some small way it will help the drivers as they fly through the night hoping they run across nothing.

pic from the http://www.gm.com
[Edited by marcus on 17th June 2000]
Old 17 Jun 2000, 07:49 (Ref:17683)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ooooh, ahhhhhh...

I hope the driver just doesnt sit there watching the screen and not the track...

I hope i dont get blasted for this, but it sounds a very American thing to do. I bet it will be an optional extra on GM cars in no time
Old 17 Jun 2000, 08:52 (Ref:17686)   #3
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It al ready is an option on the corvette, although I don't think they were the first with a system like this. I believe Jaguar is also offering it, I have seen it on tv once (thanks to the discovery channel)
Old 19 Jun 2000, 19:30 (Ref:18085)   #4
Jared
Racer

Jared should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just curious, why do you say that the night-vision seems like an "American" thing to do? I just want your opinion on that.

Personally, I think it's neat, as long as the driver doesn't spend too much time watching the screen. Speedvision had a version of "night-vision" for the Cadillacs (not the same as seen by the drivers). Rather fuzzy and hard to see but very interesting during the night hours of the race.

By the way, did any of you see the Cadillac commercial? Andy Wallace drives off the track and through a sand trap, stops the car, gets out and fixes the sand trap with a rake, like what is done in golf. I really liked it.
Old 20 Jun 2000, 12:09 (Ref:18210)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess we keep reading in magazines how all of these American cars have so many extras..cup holders every where, gadgets etc etc...

i guess we could probably get them down here, but my family still has a facination with the 2nd hand car market

Yep, they are really neat, surprised they didnt install a microwave or a fridge, because 24 hours is a long race...
Old 24 Jun 2000, 00:04 (Ref:19076)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should have spent the money fixing the fuel intake problem so they got more than 8 laps to the tank. It would have done them a lot more good in the race, and the pilotes could have worn night vision goggles instead.