Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Apr 2003, 06:56 (Ref:557989)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Um,

There is a theory that the winners were selected before the races at Coys. But I wouldn't subscribe to that.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 19:49 (Ref:558733)   #27
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, Peter, very um! Now what about a theory that I can live with? Anyone else want to comment?
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 5 Apr 2003, 18:18 (Ref:559449)   #28
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to what Willie told me at the time, the wet conditions masked some of the (unspecified) problems they had been having with the Alfetta. In the same race Stretton struggled whenever the revs dropped. Next day, in the dry, the Maserati pulled away at 2.5sec per lap.
For some time now Willie has been coming out of retirement only once or twice a year, whereas at the time of that race (1997) Stretton was racing much more regularly. I don't think we've seen Willie at his best for some years, whereas Dangermouse is still at the top of his form.
Oh, and Whitney Straight never raced a 4CM.

Last edited by David McKinney; 5 Apr 2003 at 18:20.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 19:28 (Ref:565432)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
David, thank you, that explains much. Yes, I realise that we are comparing drivers from different generations and that Willie races much less frequently now but it was great to see them both in the same race. I have been fortunate enough to see Willie racing on a number of his recent rare outings and was even able to have a brief chat and get his autograph at Donington a year or so ago. I particularly enjoyed his win with the Ligier over Jonathan Baker at Silverstone (2000 was it?).
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 14 Apr 2003, 06:53 (Ref:568779)   #30
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After this weekend I think I'll change my vote to Edwin Jowsey...very jarring seeing what still looks very much like a little boy strapping himself into a beast of Lola F5000.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 08:51 (Ref:569884)   #31
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I think it's great that younger drivers are having a go at historics, even pros like Darren Manning. Probably because they realise that the driver quality is so good and they get to really drive the things!

I've seen most of the drivers mentioned at some time or other, but being just 21 I haven't seen any of Neil Corner's efforts (though I have seen Nigel's) and only a few of Willie's. Anyone got any particular memories of either?
Old 15 Apr 2003, 18:56 (Ref:570380)   #32
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nobody but NOBODY(apart from Fangio or Behra) could drive a 250F like Charles Lucas.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 19:05 (Ref:570392)   #33
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ted - if you can Ferret out a really good picture or two of Charlie Luke doing it in a 250, I'll buy it/them. You're right, a real classy performer with the 250F.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 08:27 (Ref:572885)   #34
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, how could I have forgotten Charlie Lucas? A picture on here would be great!
Old 1 May 2003, 09:01 (Ref:585975)   #35
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I recall, the Alfetta had brake problems which didn't show up so much on the wet Saturday at Coy's that year, but on the dry Sunday Martin Stretton was able to keep ahead until Willie had to back off.

I saw John Harper's name mentioned in passing, he is one that I would put right up near the top of the list.
Old 5 May 2003, 08:25 (Ref:589841)   #36
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks Macca, I wonder if that is the unspecified problem mentioned by David. At least it all reassures me I was right to be puzzled by the results that weekend!

Yep, John Harper, a great driver. Super dominant win in the BRM P25 at a very wet Goodwood Revival against a very classy field a couple of years ago, is a good example.
Old 5 May 2003, 12:10 (Ref:589958)   #37
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, in a race where Derek Bell was second, Willie Greene third and Stirling Moss was fourth!
Old 6 May 2003, 08:21 (Ref:590632)   #38
macca
Racer

Talking of dominant performances at Goodwood, if I had a rear-engined car of any type, I would want Geoff Farmer to drive it. A great sportsman too; in the HSCC Classic Racing Car series, when he does the odd race he generally starts from the back to make it more interesting for everyone, and still mostly gets the win against a couple of pretty good regulars, in short races.

The most remarkable performance in a historic race that I personally can remember seeing was the great John Surtees (when IS he going to get that overdue knighthood?) in David Piper's Ferrari 250LM at Goodwood in 2001.
Old 6 May 2003, 11:26 (Ref:590820)   #39
krt917
Veteran

It was a good drive, though I think the LM was the quickest car in the race and it did look a bit out of place against the front-engined GTs. I'm glad they've got a mid-engined GT race at Goodwood now!

As for Goodwood performances, my favourite has to be Grant Williams in the 1999 Saloon race. 4 laps of the most incredible wet weather driving I've ever seen, until he crashed...twice!
Old 8 May 2003, 11:30 (Ref:593371)   #40
fangio
Racer

fangio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How come you all only mention English drivers????
Old 8 May 2003, 11:36 (Ref:593373)   #41
macca
Racer

Duncan Dayton is American; I'd also add to my list that young American F3 driver whose name I cannot recall who was so quick in a Cooper in the Glover Trophy in 2001 until Frank Sytner and he collided.

Burkhard von Schenk.
Old 8 May 2003, 13:06 (Ref:593476)   #42
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Frank Sytner collided with another driver??? surely there must be some mistake
Old 8 May 2003, 16:15 (Ref:593671)   #43
Joe Twyman
Rookie

Joe Twyman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by macca
[B]Duncan Dayton is American; I'd also add to my list that young American F3 driver whose name I cannot recall who was so quick in a Cooper in the Glover Trophy in 2001 until Frank Sytner and he collided.

Paul Edwards, who is now racing in Dallara Nissan...i think.

Last edited by Joe Twyman; 8 May 2003 at 16:15.
Old 8 May 2003, 16:56 (Ref:593712)   #44
krt917
Veteran

Quote:
How come you all only mention English drivers???
Perhaps it's because they're generally the best!

Or maybe because, many of us here, tend to have seen - predominantly at least - british racing.

If you've got some suggestions, Fangio, I'm sure we'd be happy to hear them!

How about Flavien Marcais?
Old 9 May 2003, 10:53 (Ref:594396)   #45
macca
Racer

Again, as for all being English - there's Lindsay Owen-Jones, who is Welsh, I believe!
Old 13 May 2003, 14:58 (Ref:597972)   #46
Jenny
Racer

Jenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enjoyed reading the thread and co-incidentally, I am looking for a race coach to move me up a level in historic single seater racing. So, Forum Panel, who would you suggest I contact to improve my racecraft and speed?!
Old 13 May 2003, 15:07 (Ref:597994)   #47
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
We need to see that gorgeous Tecno at the sharp end
Old 13 May 2003, 15:47 (Ref:598028)   #48
Jenny
Racer

Jenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely right, Paul. Last season was a virtual wipe out with carb problems from Feb to October and only 8 finishes out of 14 starts. Castle Combe was more like it though - over took six in the race, two on the last corner of the last lap - YES! Car seems better now after two races and I am hoping to get the bit between my teeth now - hence the race coach needed!
Old 13 May 2003, 19:32 (Ref:598247)   #49
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Justin Wilson isn't up to much in the weeks is he?
Old 14 May 2003, 09:38 (Ref:598577)   #50
macca
Racer

Funnily enough, I understand Justin Wilson does still help out occasionally at Jonathan Palmer's driving centre/autodrome at Bedford (he is the most succesful graduate of Formula Palmer Audi, of couse), so there you are!

By the way, I saw someone mention John Beasley in their list of stars - another top bloke. And on non-English drivers, Carlos Monteverde is getting pretty good now.