Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 30 Apr 2003, 01:04 (Ref:584451)   #26
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Farewell Possum , thanks for the memories , you were not only a champion but a gentlemen and a pillar of society.

Sometimes its hard to accept why things happen and this is one of those times , I simply cant believe that Possum has gone.
I dont know why but some deaths in this sport that we love hit me hard and some dont (I know that shouldnt be the case but its I cant help the way I feel) this tragedy is one of those times, I sit here typing with a heavy heart trying to make sense of why and how this could of happened.

I have a second browser open and am viewing Possums website http://www.possumbourne.co.nz/index.html just flicking through looking at pictures and spending some time just remembering Possum and his fantastic achievements.

its with a very sad heart that I say farewell to this champion and my condolences go out to his family and the entire Subaru Rally team.

RIP Possum I hope its nice wherever you are.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 01:15 (Ref:584457)   #27
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Farewell Possum. You were a true gentleman and a fantastic driver. You made the Australian Rally Championship what it is today. To his family and colleges my deepest symphathy to all of you.
RIP POSSUM
Old 30 Apr 2003, 01:54 (Ref:584480)   #28
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Statement by Nick Senior, General Manager, Subaru Australia re Possum Bourne

Wednesday 30 April, 2003

Statement by Nick Senior, General Manager, Subaru Australia

Following is a statement from Nick Senior, General Manager, Subaru Australia, issued at Dunedin Hospital today on behalf of Possum Bourne's family:

Possum Bourne, New Zealand's most successful rally driver died peacefully surrounded by his wife Peggy and their family in Dunedin Hospital at 12.58 am (NZ time) today, Wednesday 30 April.

Possum never regained consciousness after being involved in a traffic accident on the Snow Farm Rd in the Cardrona Valley near Lake Wanaka in Central Otago on Good Friday, April 18.

He was air lifted from the crash site with head injuries and two broken legs to Dunedin Hospital where he remained in the Intensive Care Unit in an induced coma ever since.

Possum's wife Peggy, his mother, two sisters, brother, other close family members and friends have maintained a 24 hour bedside vigil over the past 12 days.

Possum's medical condition has been monitored constantly, including several CT Scans.

In the accident he suffered a rotational head injury, resulting in diffuse axonal injury, and over the week developed multiple areas of brain infarction.

Following a series of neurological tests and the latest scan a decision was made in the best interests of Possum to withdraw the life support system gradually from Monday afternoon.

On behalf of Possum's family I would like to thank the staff at Dunedin Hospital for all the care they have lavished on Possum.

The family would also like to acknowledge the thousands of emails, faxes, cards, flowers and other messages of support they have received over the last 12 days.

At this time the family does not wish to make any personal statements and I would ask you respect their position and not intrude in their time of grief.

Possum is survived by his wife Peggy and three children, Taylor (8), Spencer (4) and Jazlin (3).

Funeral details will be announced at a later date.

Possum was a great man. A great sportsman and New Zealander. A great son, brother, husband and father. His spirit and memory will live on.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 01:56 (Ref:584482)   #29
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wednesday 30 April, 2003

Statement by Nick Senior, General Manager, Subaru Australia

Following is a statement from Nick Senior, General Manager, Subaru Australia, issued at Dunedin Hospital today on behalf of Possum Bourne's family:

Possum Bourne, New Zealand's most successful rally driver died peacefully surrounded by his wife Peggy and their family in Dunedin Hospital at 12.58 am (NZ time) today, Wednesday 30 April.

Possum never regained consciousness after being involved in a traffic accident on the Snow Farm Rd in the Cardrona Valley near Lake Wanaka in Central Otago on Good Friday, April 18.

He was air lifted from the crash site with head injuries and two broken legs to Dunedin Hospital where he remained in the Intensive Care Unit in an induced coma ever since.

Possum's wife Peggy, his mother, two sisters, brother, other close family members and friends have maintained a 24 hour bedside vigil over the past 12 days.

Possum's medical condition has been monitored constantly, including several CT Scans.

In the accident he suffered a rotational head injury, resulting in diffuse axonal injury, and over the week developed multiple areas of brain infarction.

Following a series of neurological tests and the latest scan a decision was made in the best interests of Possum to withdraw the life support system gradually from Monday afternoon.

On behalf of Possum's family I would like to thank the staff at Dunedin Hospital for all the care they have lavished on Possum.

The family would also like to acknowledge the thousands of emails, faxes, cards, flowers and other messages of support they have received over the last 12 days.

At this time the family does not wish to make any personal statements and I would ask you respect their position and not intrude in their time of grief.

Possum is survived by his wife Peggy and three children, Taylor (8), Spencer (4) and Jazlin (3).

Funeral details will be announced at a later date.

Possum was a great man. A great sportsman and New Zealander. A great son, brother, husband and father. His spirit and memory will live on.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 02:24 (Ref:584499)   #30
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All

Subaru New Zealand has set up a web page for people to visit and leave tributes to Possum:

www.possumtribute.co.nz
Old 30 Apr 2003, 03:01 (Ref:584515)   #31
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is very sad. I did not see him rally, only on TV, he came over as a tremendous person. RIP
Old 30 Apr 2003, 05:11 (Ref:584555)   #32
Gunslinger
Racer

Gunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's the worst news i've had in years. Hit's home harder when it's a fellow Kiwi, who's a racing Champion, which us Kiwi's don't have too many of.

BUT what has really slutted me was Channel Ten's reporting his death hours TOO early. It's unforgivable in my opinion, and i'll be following it up with them. Can you imagine how you would feel if it was one of your family members or friends?

Un-bloody-believable!!!!

http://www.possumtribute.co.nz/index.html?&offset=10
Old 30 Apr 2003, 05:30 (Ref:584563)   #33
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Terribly sad news. Another fine talent has been lost to the sport.

RIP Possum.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 05:55 (Ref:584569)   #34
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was an awesome driver, and the Australian Rally Championship will be really missing something without him, RIP Possum.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 30 Apr 2003, 06:15 (Ref:584578)   #35
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still quite difficult to believe. He made such an impact on both the New Zealand and Australian rally scene. I remember watching the Rally of New Zealand in the early 1980's when it still had all the good special stages and seeing Possum - back in the days when Subaru didn't have a high profile in rallying.

This year, his longstanding loyalty to Subaru rewardard him with a drive in the international Group N Championship. Sadly, that is one title he will never be able to add to his numerous Australian and Asia-Pacific championships.

RIP
Old 30 Apr 2003, 06:49 (Ref:584592)   #36
prestonsau
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia /China
prestonsau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What can I say ????

As I have already written in the "Rallying" Forum :
I FEEL GREATLY DEPRIVED.
Possum lives on warmly in my memory.

Blue Flag meaning: There's a race going on an you're not in it!
Old 30 Apr 2003, 06:56 (Ref:584600)   #37
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My deepest sympathy for his family.

He's one of the few successful professional motorsports driver that i've come across personally, and he is a really sweet chap. It's a shock to learn of what had happened, and it is deeply saddening. My thoughts are with his family.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 07:58 (Ref:584649)   #38
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel very sad at the loss of Possum Bourne from the NZ and Australian motorsport community and the deepest sympathy for his wife and 3 children.
I have been going to the NZ rally for the past 10 years and you could always guarantee that the loudest cheers from the crowd were always reserved for Possum as he charged away in an inferior car with a fraction of the budget chasing the WRC cars home.
He is a legend
A photo I took of possum that I'm very fond of, in 1999 at Doctor's Hill rd in Maungaturoto the year he really took it to the WRC stars
Attached Thumbnails
bourne 1999.jpg  

Last edited by tanalised; 30 Apr 2003 at 07:59.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 08:13 (Ref:584664)   #39
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a great photo, tanalised. One of the ways to remember Poss - a shot of him doing what he did best.

RIP Possum.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 08:20 (Ref:584672)   #40
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe he died from an accident at 60 kilometres an hour ! OK, the combined speed of the two would make this around 120K, but when you consider the speed he travels at in competition, I find this rather hard to believe. Obviosly you also need to factor in he mightn't have been wearing a helmet, nor in a competition car with a roll cage and added protection etc etc but it just seems incredibly difficult to comprehend.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 08:53 (Ref:584691)   #41
rocket
Racer

rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sad news indeed, his passing will be a loss to rallying
Old 30 Apr 2003, 09:42 (Ref:584731)   #42
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Chris Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news about Possum. Never met him nor saw him in action but he was a very good driver and seemed a decent bloke to boot.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Jones
I can't believe he died from an accident at 60 kilometres an hour ! it just seems incredibly difficult to comprehend.
I won't comment fully because I don't know the full circumstances, but it is a sad reminder that road accidents appear very hard to survive, particularly compared with accidents on the track or stages.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 10:25 (Ref:584789)   #43
revhead_enigma
Rookie

revhead_enigma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Possum you were a great man and you are going to be missed deeply. You will leave a really big hole in the Rally sports.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:12 (Ref:584920)   #44
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A great man, who achieved so much in such a sort time, will always be remembered. Condolensces to his friends and family.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 17:13 (Ref:585302)   #45
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A tribute from twelve thousand miles away -

Possum, you were one of the Subaru greats, supported by rally fans worldwide. I will truly miss looking out for you on the Network-Q. I'm pretty sure God drives a Subaru, so you're amongst friends.

My sincerest condolences to Possum's wife and kids - may the wishes of all those who have paid tribute help you pull through.

Last edited by garcon; 30 Apr 2003 at 17:14.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 17:53 (Ref:585358)   #46
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not again, this is just starting to look like 1985 or 1986...

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 30 Apr 2003, 22:48 (Ref:585720)   #47
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Possum...
Old 1 May 2003, 07:29 (Ref:585932)   #48
DDunn
Rookie

DDunn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Champion Driver and A Champion Man. Sadly missed. RIP Possum.
Old 1 May 2003, 07:50 (Ref:585944)   #49
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nothing more I can add.

Possum was a truly likeable fellow. Aussies don't usually say too many nice things about Kiwis, but if you couldn't say something nice about Possum, you must never have heard of him.

A truly nice fellow, and a damn good driver. You will be sorely missed.

Condolences to all who knew Peter 'Possum' Bourne. RIP.
Old 1 May 2003, 10:38 (Ref:586062)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
More sad news. Very sorry to read of yet another great being taken away from us. My condolences to Possum's family and friends.