Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Dec 2010, 13:02 (Ref:2805579)   #51
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
No!
Oh come on Al ...

You have over a year to work on this and you have (if the regs are flexible enough) 2 or maybe 3 cars that you could run in relay (?) .

I'm sure there would be plenty of offers of assistance, though driving the whole event might be a bit unwise .....

Old 17 Dec 2010, 13:17 (Ref:2805588)   #52
Mike Sheraton
Racer

United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Mike Sheraton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We'd would be up for it, maybe along the lines of production saloon regs/entries, think how many cars that are out there that could compete under those sort of regs, + cheaper to build if you would like to enter but dont have a car for it.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2805589)   #53
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sheraton View Post
We'd would be up for it, maybe along the lines of production saloon regs/entries, think how many cars that are out there that could compete under those sort of regs, + cheaper to build if you would like to enter but dont have a car for it.
Why dont you enter that 1989 325 in the six hour!
Old 17 Dec 2010, 13:20 (Ref:2805590)   #54
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I wonder I could get a hire car for the w/e & have time to bolt in (& then remove) a cage, extinguisher & electical cut off etc before returning it on the monday morning!
And fit and remove a fuel tank/cell with filler that exits vertically. Not to mention a full fire extinguisher set up.

I think we should consider the aims here.

Yes, a run what you brung thing could work, but it will take a lot of preparation so its not a case of pulling a car off the road and hoping it will work, because it surely won't.

Then, as has been said, if you allow more modern machinery which has easy access to parts etc. it's a no brainer that serious damage will occur. Drivers will know that they won't be excluded from a series/championship for bad driving.

If however the classes are as per the 6hrs then it has a possibility. All the cars are race cars that are built for various championships or series. In and of itself, that is an encouragement not to drive aggressively.

Likewise there is no synergy (like that Simon?) with Britcar.

Ultimately I see this as a more serious motorsport event. If "Classic/Historic" It'll be populated with Mustangs, Cossies and M3s because those are the guys who can afford to build a 24hr race car.

If a production class then Scoobies and EVOs. Both seriously costly and definitely not "clubman" cars.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 13:46 (Ref:2805600)   #55
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Turbo Diesels I recon would be the way to go especially as by then fuel will no doubt be £2.50 a litre.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 13:47 (Ref:2805602)   #56
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Sounds like great fun! Can we do presentations in the bar afterwards - they'd go on for hours!
If you can party for hours after clerking a 24 hour race.... I'm really impressed
Old 17 Dec 2010, 13:47 (Ref:2805603)   #57
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Here we go again.
When a new race or series is thought of many people confirm they would like to do it,50% actually mean it,25% have the hardware to do it and between 10-15% arrive on grid.

Best of luck people but it will be hard work.

This place is a superb talking shop but is long on dreams,hot air and broken promises but all made in good faith.Dreamers,gets people through the winter.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 13:48 (Ref:2805605)   #58
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Al,

If you factor fuel cost into the equation you may as well give up. But fuel efficiency may be a better view, then you may have a point. But diesels pre 1990?

John,

I never commit unless I'm going to do it. I haven't made any committment here.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 13:50 (Ref:2805608)   #59
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Old Merc 190D

It was a joke!
Old 17 Dec 2010, 13:51 (Ref:2805609)   #60
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Old Merc 190D

It was a joke!
And pretty poor if I may say so. Next you'll be thinking Sierra!
Old 17 Dec 2010, 13:53 (Ref:2805610)   #61
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Ha ha at least that had a Peuguot engine!
Old 17 Dec 2010, 13:54 (Ref:2805613)   #62
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
50% actually mean it,25% have the hardware to do it and between 10-15% arrive on grid.
I remember a girl saying that to me once
Old 17 Dec 2010, 14:59 (Ref:2805635)   #63
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Al,

If you factor fuel cost into the equation you may as well give up. But fuel efficiency may be a better view, then you may have a point. But diesels pre 1990?
I think I've given up already, I could enter a Jaguar but I reckon it'd be £2K on fuel.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 15:01 (Ref:2805637)   #64
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
If you can party for hours after clerking a 24 hour race.... I'm really impressed
You clearly dont know the female capability do you?
Old 17 Dec 2010, 15:07 (Ref:2805640)   #65
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
You clearly dont know the female capability do you?
There is almost no limit to my ignorance about the female capability!
Old 17 Dec 2010, 15:14 (Ref:2805644)   #66
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
There is almost no limit to my ignorance about the female capability!
Really????? Tell me about it.....anyway....back on Thread
Old 17 Dec 2010, 15:36 (Ref:2805653)   #67
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I had given up by post 26! I started to work for Nathans a few months after their aborted attempt on Le Mans 24 hrs and they were a very professional outfit and still couldnt finish it! In the same building was David Piper Racing Ferrari team and Paul Hawkins Racing GT40 team and I know Paul failed not sure about Pipers attempt. Actually Paul told me he had an ambition and that was to do the Le Mans single handed! I reckon he would have as well.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 17 Dec 2010 at 15:43.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2805668)   #68
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
John / Claire - you got to remember we've been practising this aspect for years at Snet after the Willhires and especially the 2cv's !!!

The term endurance in our case doesn't relate to the racing bit!!

Terry
Old 17 Dec 2010, 16:42 (Ref:2805669)   #69
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
A Montego diesel would do 24 hours!
but I'll spare you that ;-)
I'd like to see it for 'old cars' by which I mean old tech enough to be mended every now and then. If it were 2012 then I'd have a crack in a Lenham Midget, any component can be replaced in an hour (as long as it's worn out or broken but not crashed) :-)
Old 17 Dec 2010, 16:44 (Ref:2805670)   #70
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Scannell View Post
John / Claire - you got to remember we've been practising this aspect for years at Snet after the Willhires and especially the 2cv's !!!

The term endurance in our case doesn't relate to the racing bit!!

Terry
Terry, I can party after 24 Hours, so can Piglet, and I know you can, its just John, he will need a set of jump leads and someone with a large battery to keep him going
Old 17 Dec 2010, 16:52 (Ref:2805672)   #71
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Terry, I can party after 24 Hours, so can Piglet, and I know you can, its just John, he will need a set of jump leads and someone with a large battery to keep him going
Don't worry I've got Red Rockets phone number ready!!

Terry
Old 17 Dec 2010, 17:10 (Ref:2805677)   #72
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
We could leave John in race control to deal with the protests
Old 17 Dec 2010, 17:13 (Ref:2805678)   #73
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Scannell View Post
Don't worry I've got Red Rockets phone number ready!!

Terry
lol....Tell em to bring a flat bed!!! (boom boom)

Right on that note, it is now my firms Xmas doo so I'm about to go out and probably drink far too much wine as I always do....but, it is Christmas

Tis the season to be jolly well sozzled

Ta
C
Old 17 Dec 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2805679)   #74
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
We could leave John in race control to deal with the protests
Superb IDEA!!!
Old 17 Dec 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2805680)   #75
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Back to the topic , I reckon I will have a car or two that could possibly do the event- the 924 if can last 6 hours may be be a candidate and MK2 RS2000 next to be built was already planned to have an endurance tank with (possibly) dry break facility for Mocal churns.

Whether can afford to do the event is another matter- entry fee is easy to understand, fuel and tyre cost can be roughly calculated, but wear and tear on the car? Could possibly be looking at rebuilding engine, gearbox and diff after 24 hours and that could be a lot out of anyones budget. That is where the idea of a production spec car appeals- buy it, race it, sell it on if necessary..... BUT, even a prod car will need safety stuff which may make that difficult, and refuelling could be compromise if standard tank used.

A lot of thought needed, and certainly most entrants would want to have team drivers prepared not only to stump up for their share of entry and event costs, but a contribution to car wear and tear also? Not sure if at club level there are enough able to do that.