Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Jan 2016, 13:37 (Ref:3605927)   #1
markymar93
Rookie

markymar93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Building A Race Car

Hi All
I am new here and not sure if I am in the right location on the forum. I am in the very early stages of building a 1962 Austin A40 Farina as a race car for historic track and hill climb events in the UK. I was looking to build the car to FIA requirements. I want to ensure I build the car to the right standards (such as modifying the engine and brakes within the legal requirements).
I just wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction or suggest any articles that they would recommend I read. I have already had a brief look through part K of the FIA.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks Mark
Old 18 Jan 2016, 16:58 (Ref:3605965)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
suggest you build to the correct Homologation form:
# 1046 - Mk1 948cc
# 1097 - Mk2 948cc
# 1178 - Mk2 1098cc

you should be able to buy a copy from the MSA unless anyone on here is good enough to send you a copy.

Edit - having just looked up the footnotes, the first one is 'missing' and the last one is 'badly readable'.

Last edited by MGDavid; 18 Jan 2016 at 17:01. Reason: more info
Old 18 Jan 2016, 21:11 (Ref:3606002)   #3
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before going too mad and spending too much money...I thought I saw one for sale not long ago. But that wasnt actually what I was going to say......

In caseyou arent aware....Have you looked at the options with A30s? There is this whole new series that is being done for not quite FIA but all the same A30s. Julius thurgood is the man behind it. lots of cars being built. race at teh Revival this year
Old 19 Jan 2016, 01:17 (Ref:3606059)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
Before going too mad and spending too much money............
although for balance, an Academy car is going to cost the thick end of £20,000. From the website the parts kits come to almost 13k then there's a car plus paint & prep.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 06:33 (Ref:3606121)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I would guess Mark has already got a 'donor car' to build from? (Welcome to the forum, BTW )

There are several A40s already racing (most with Julius Thurgood/HRDC?) and some have been invited to The Revival over the years as well. However, what I don't know is whether they are built to FIA homologated spec or a 'Goodwood' spec!

Mark, it would be worth talking to the MSA and via them one of their Inspectors to ask what homologation is used for the A40s racing today. No idea where you are in the country, but good idea to find an inspector in your area so when you ultimately need inspection the travel will be less for them. They are quite used to guiding racers through the complications of what can and can't be used, and what you need to gain the HTP- if getting one is indeed your goal?

Suggest a phone call to the MSA wouldn't be wasted.....

Old 19 Jan 2016, 09:29 (Ref:3606136)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
The 'advantage' of going FiA is you don't build a one trick pony, and you can take it anywhere . . . . be careful you don't end up building something worth less than the sum of its parts. Most of the club series have fairly universal regs, but not all. App K is universally accepted.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 10:03 (Ref:3606149)   #7
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You have started well by looking at FIA App K for an FIA car . That will refer you App J of period which you can get to here.
http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public...tj?open&lang=a

A lot of reading to get through , & can be a bit daunting , but if you get through all of that & still want to go FIA spec , then I have the 1097 & 1178 homologations .
Old 19 Jan 2016, 12:36 (Ref:3606174)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
All the above suggests to me that establishing dialogue with an MSA Inspector will be worth the effort! App J, App K, HTP... All stuff they should have more knowledge of.

Old 19 Jan 2016, 12:41 (Ref:3606175)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
App J is a quick read, App K unnecessarily complex, it should be 2 things, modern safety for old cars in competition, and a separate document on whats considered acceptable modernisation for historic racing.

but I'd get hold of the homologation papers and learn about your particular car first.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 17:59 (Ref:3606279)   #10
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Mark , got an idea . Why not start a thread on your build . Post pictures and ask questions as you go along . Sure would be interesting to follow your progress and there are lots of experienced racers on here that will chip in with advise
Old 19 Jan 2016, 18:19 (Ref:3606286)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Yes, like don't do it, you'll be forever skint and moaning, like the rest of us . . . go and play golf or something!
Old 19 Jan 2016, 18:20 (Ref:3606288)   #12
markymar93
Rookie

Dear all. Thanks for the advice so far. Can't believe how helpful everyone is. It does sound like the msa is the ideal place to start and work from there.
I will start a car build diary as well. At the weekend I'll take a few pics of the car and show what I have to start with.
I'm in Worthing West sussex by the way if anyone is local. Thanks mark
Old 19 Jan 2016, 18:32 (Ref:3606296)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
5 miles away!
Old 19 Jan 2016, 18:59 (Ref:3606308)   #14
markymar93
Rookie

I can think of far worse things to spend money on lol
Old 22 Jan 2016, 13:43 (Ref:3607104)   #15
markymar93
Rookie

Hi All

Just to let you know, I have left a message for the MSA. Found out that one of the assessors lives only just up the road, so hopefully that may be of help. Hopefully the start of a fun project.
I will try and post a pic of the car as it is this weekend.
thanks Mark
Old 22 Jan 2016, 15:32 (Ref:3607125)   #16
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome to the "very poor but happy club Mark".
Old 22 Jan 2016, 16:38 (Ref:3607148)   #17
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Welcome to the "very poor but happy club Mark".
Or even the "very poor and miserable (because the cars just broken, damaged or not quick enough, or the drivers not quick enough) club"!!

Just remember we are all addicts, and like any addiction the highs are fantastic, but there are usually more lows! I'm still glad I do it, though, and have had some great races coming last but one!!!
Old 22 Jan 2016, 20:16 (Ref:3607200)   #18
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
And the wife's gone as well .
Old 23 Jan 2016, 10:26 (Ref:3607283)   #19
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
And the wife's gone as well .
Hence the happy...
Old 23 Jan 2016, 20:20 (Ref:3607437)   #20
markymar93
Rookie

Luckily my wife is very supportive. The only issue is that she has taken a liking to my a40 even giving it a name. Have a feeling i might have to buy her a stock one. Lol
Old 23 Jan 2016, 21:24 (Ref:3607468)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymar93 View Post
Luckily my wife is very supportive. The only issue is that she has taken a liking to my a40 even giving it a name. Have a feeling i might have to buy her a stock one. Lol
You are lucky then! And you'll have a handy spares source....
Old 23 Jan 2016, 22:05 (Ref:3607477)   #22
markymar93
Rookie

Lol. I dont think i would be that brave lol.

At the moment i am debatingwhether to go fia spec or not. Whats the thought about building to fia spec but changing engine for something bigger for sprints?
Old 24 Jan 2016, 11:33 (Ref:3607571)   #23
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

You could run in the HRSR/HSCC Historic Touring Car championship (other championships are available ) in either FIA appendix K classes at 1138cc or in class E in HRSR spec at 1150cc. Look on the HRSR or HSCC websites for championship regulations.

I have a set of the homologation papers no.1097 - if you want a copy send me a PM with your details.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 20:42 (Ref:3607696)   #24
markymar93
Rookie

Many thanks. Sent you a pm