Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Mar 2018, 08:17 (Ref:3807704)   #101
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Haven't you moved into that old Volvo yet??
(Sorry for going off topic) Could do worse- it's got heated seats......

Back on track, the event has been very blessed with better than average March weather in the past, so guess their luck has to change sometime!
Old 13 Mar 2018, 09:17 (Ref:3807711)   #102
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I keep getting emails telling me to buy tickets, so presume its not sold out, at least not to spectators.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 10:18 (Ref:3807716)   #103
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Did they change the policy for non members? Don't you have to be an associate member or something now?
Old 13 Mar 2018, 10:33 (Ref:3807720)   #104
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Did they change the policy for non members? Don't you have to be an associate member or something now?
If you're not a full member, I think you have to join the GRRC Fellowship for £39 p.a. and then you can buy tickets. Unless they're selling to the general public in the last few days?
Old 13 Mar 2018, 10:36 (Ref:3807722)   #105
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you may need a second mortgage to attend in person, I'll have to plump for the youtube coverage
Old 13 Mar 2018, 10:36 (Ref:3807723)   #106
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thats it. If so I'm not surprised that ticket sales may be down.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 11:42 (Ref:3807731)   #107
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
If you're not a full member, I think you have to join the GRRC Fellowship for £39 p.a. and then you can buy tickets. Unless they're selling to the general public in the last few days?
The website is still saying that you need to be a member before purchasing, so weekend would be £138 plus the £39 above. No suggestion of sold out.....
Old 13 Mar 2018, 11:44 (Ref:3807732)   #108
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The website is still saying that you need to be a member before purchasing, so weekend would be £138 plus the £39 above. No suggestion of sold out.....
I think we decided previously that the cheapest way to attend the meeting was to enter a race and get an allocation of passes......
Old 13 Mar 2018, 12:09 (Ref:3807734)   #109
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think we decided previously that the cheapest way to attend the meeting was to enter a race and get an allocation of passes......
Not only is it confusing for would be spectators, but accredited media, such as myself, who report historic motorsport full time, are not welcome at MM. No explanation.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 12:12 (Ref:3807735)   #110
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just received an email saying the last few remaining tickets will sell out imminently - probably just as well given how soon it is!

It also says there's only one day left to buy them - presumably to allow for the time to post them out.

But you have to wonder what will happen if they happen to have a few left over...
Old 13 Mar 2018, 12:16 (Ref:3807736)   #111
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
Not only is it confusing for would be spectators, but accredited media, such as myself, who report historic motorsport full time, are not welcome at MM. No explanation.
The attitude to we media is indeed a strange one, as a favoured few do get in. It is frustrating when watching the TV, one can see bods in media bibs scurrying around on the grid taking pictures with telephones! Hardly professionals...
Old 13 Mar 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3807737)   #112
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Given that 39 quid Fellows can only buy 4 tickets, you need to be a full 225 quid member to get the 6 that they give entrants.

6 x 138 + 225 does indeed = more than race entry...

Apparently the benefits of membership are less than they used to be (especially if you live some distance from Chichester) so a number of members haven't been renewing.
However I heard that if you drop out you can't rejoin in the future...

It would help if membership came with reasonably priced accommodation, I like to point out that the deal we were offered by the Hermitage in Monaco was a similar price to a B&B near Goodwood!
Old 13 Mar 2018, 12:46 (Ref:3807739)   #113
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks for working the figures out Peter!

Obviously race entry does also require an eligible set of wheels and an invite......
Old 13 Mar 2018, 14:46 (Ref:3807748)   #114
LDM
Rookie

England
SE London / NE Kent
LDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Obviously race entry does also require an eligible set of wheels and an invite......
The criteria for an invite seems to have changed in recent years too!
Old 13 Mar 2018, 17:03 (Ref:3807761)   #115
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDM View Post
The criteria for an invite seems to have changed in recent years too!
Yes.....
Old 14 Mar 2018, 23:55 (Ref:3808074)   #116
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am not getting any emails asking me to buy tickets,
what am I doing wrong !?

😊

RuE
Old 15 Mar 2018, 11:27 (Ref:3808127)   #117
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
I am not getting any emails asking me to buy tickets,
what am I doing wrong !?

😊

RuE
They seem to send an endless number of emails to members, most of which aren't of great interest but some are useful - maybe you have unsubscribed from it?
Old 15 Mar 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3808129)   #118
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:

True and not forgetting the costs of running the thing - including (rip off) accommodation for everyone involved in the process.

Hopefully the event is going to end up as a snowman building competition...
Old 15 Mar 2018, 12:23 (Ref:3808133)   #119
v jones
Rookie

v jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much does invite/entry cost? Masters etc. does to seem to be a lot more than say HSCC.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 12:50 (Ref:3808135)   #120
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I don't know what entry fees were this year. Whatever, The 'stand alone' MM isn't really comparable to racing with a club such as HSCC or commercial organiser like Masters, or indeed at Goodwood Revival.

If you've got an eligible car, particularly one that GRRC are keen to have, and get an invite, then most would take up the opportunity- despite it being mid March!
Old 15 Mar 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3808160)   #121
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by v jones View Post
How much does invite/entry cost? Masters etc. does to seem to be a lot more than say HSCC.
One is a money making organisation appealing to arrive and drivers the other is a club for, in the main, self prep drivers.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 15:40 (Ref:3808171)   #122
v jones
Rookie

v jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive entered cars with 5/6 different clubs etc over the 40 odd years.i was surprised to receive entry forms for Masters events,after all were you spend your money is a choice as is the quality of the event.Do we assume after we have the invite the entry fee is Masters quality,as is the quality of the event?
Old 15 Mar 2018, 17:36 (Ref:3808192)   #123
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by v jones View Post
Ive entered cars with 5/6 different clubs etc over the 40 odd years.i was surprised to receive entry forms for Masters events,after all were you spend your money is a choice as is the quality of the event.Do we assume after we have the invite the entry fee is Masters quality,as is the quality of the event?
Apart from the fact that Goodwood and Masters are both commercial operations looking to make a profit, in my opinion that’s where the similarity ends. My understanding is that Goodwood make most of their money from spectators and corporate hosptality, Masters make theirs from race entrants (customers) only. (May be a bit simplistic.... )

The Goodwood Members Meeting is literally unique, and offers those racing and spectating appropriately unique entertainment and hospitality to go with it. Masters have a set business model for their meetings around Europe, so you get basically the same for your money wherever.

Again IMO, you can’t compare apples and pears......
Old 15 Mar 2018, 18:54 (Ref:3808207)   #124
Colin Parkinson
Rookie

England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Colin Parkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone local seen the weather forecast? According to what I have seen it could be interesting in the snow on Sunday!!

Temperatures around freezing both days.

I really hope not! It is a long way to go from Oop North.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 19:03 (Ref:3808210)   #125
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Well, it has been forecast for a while so hopefully ‘contingency plans’ will be in place!

Announced in Autosport today is news of a tribute to Henry Hope-Frost at the meeting on Saturday. Plans are for all race car engines to be started for a ‘Minute of Fever’ just before the F5000 demo. Sounds very fitting.